Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2022, 12:50 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Two same bodies... used the same or one more than the other?

I have two KP bodies, the first one bought used with around 9000 actuations, the second bought new after I fell in love with the camera.

I use both with different lenses (to avoid having to change them on the field) when shooting at air shows or other planned events, but when I travel for leisure I prefer to stay light and I only bring with me one of the two bodies, usually with the 16-85 (and the 55-300, or a prime, depending on the trip).

Until now that body has always been the older one because I have always thought that, in the event I want to sell one of the two, the newer will have a higher resell value.

The "problem" is that I am realizing that it is more likely that I buy a third KP rather than selling one of the two I already have, simply because the camera fits perfectly all my needs and want to use them for as long as I can (that is, as long as they last).

With this in mind I wonder if I should change my habits and start bringing the newer body with me when on vacation, so that both get the same amount of use (that is, actuations and scratches).

What is the best strategy (if there is one) to follow if I want to keep using the KP for as long as possible? Trying to use them the same or using one more in order to preserve the other (one has 20000+ clicks now the other 3000+)? What are you doing with yours and why?

05-25-2022, 03:57 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Pentaxian At Large
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you are saving a camera with plans to sell it at a reasonable value , sell it now. Otherwise take it and enjoy it.
05-25-2022, 04:12 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I'm trying to use my two cameras at the same rate, but I have no plans to sell anything at this time. Both get light use so my efforts are probably moot.
05-25-2022, 04:17 AM   #4

Which ever camera is in the best condition with the least shutter count will have the highest value so run one into the ground and lightly use the other one.

05-25-2022, 05:14 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have two KPs, but it is because I broke the mode dial on one and it is in Tv mode permanently. So that one has the DA 1.4 converter and DA*300 or DA 55-300 PLM all the time.
05-25-2022, 05:24 AM - 1 Like   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thatís a complicated question. At the very least you need to keep the battery at least partially charged to avoid the internal battery from dying. If you truly feel this is your forever camera Iíd alternate use to keep them in a similar state. Serial use of the two bodies vs parallel use runs the risk of something failing in the little used body without being detected and by the time it is discovered repair parts may not be available. But thatís just my opinion. When I had two identical k-3 bodies thatís how I handled it.
05-25-2022, 05:27 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I don't have two bodies the same, but I do have a variety of Pentax DSLRs, most of which get used as the mood takes me or to take advantage of a particular feature or capability.
Selling a camera … never really occurred to me !?!

05-25-2022, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
I don't have two bodies the same, but I do have a variety of Pentax DSLRs, most of which get used as the mood takes me or to take advantage of a particular feature or capability.
My situation and way of use too, except I do have two KP bodies, both bought new in discounted lower-cost bargain deals. As to the OP's question, the way I handle this is to use both about the same. I currently have one with the largest grip on it with the sizable, heavier Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC HSM fast zoom lens mounted, while the other has the smallest grip on it with the DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 Limited mounted. Of course, this is not carved in stone, as I do change to other lenses, like a small Limited prime on the one with the smallest grip, but having the different grips is a convenience when deciding which lenses I will be taking out.

I rarely have need to carry more than one camera at a time (though on occasion I do have such need), but I do travel with more than one body- often 2 or 3 different styles or types.

I also operate according to the reality that by using both cameras, both will last a lot longer, and will ensure that I will still have a KP available for a very long time. Actually, I've been doing likewise with cars over the last 2 decades or so. Upon having found a model I especially like, I would buy another (with cars, I always buy perfect, low-mileage used), and alternate using each a few times per year, having one in mothballs, transferring full auto insurance to the one being used. This way, mileage creeps upward much slower when usage is divided between them, and they last for many years.

Last edited by mikesbike; 05-25-2022 at 02:59 PM.
05-25-2022, 02:50 PM - 1 Like   #9
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by WhiteFeather Quote
Two same bodies... used the same or one more than the other?
I always use matched pair i.e. a brace of bodies.

No special treatment or a favoured one, just tools to get a job done.
05-25-2022, 02:56 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WhiteFeather Quote
Until now that body has always been the older one because I have always thought that, in the event I want to sell one of the two, the newer will have a higher resell value.
That would probably be true. But 9,000 actuations is a low figure. I would most likely use the new one a little more often, letting it gradually "catch-up" with the used one. Then they will both "age" much more slowly.
05-25-2022, 02:58 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You bought them to use them or did you buy one to put it in the shelf and look at it now and then? If you got them to use then use it. I mostly view things I get as I will be the last owner and use them until the can't be repaired or aren't worth being repaired.
05-25-2022, 04:29 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I would use one for bad weather and travel and the other for the rest. Let one get banged up and one stay nice.
06-01-2022, 12:41 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Thatís a complicated question. At the very least you need to keep the battery at least partially charged to avoid the internal battery from dying. If you truly feel this is your forever camera Iíd alternate use to keep them in a similar state. Serial use of the two bodies vs parallel use runs the risk of something failing in the little used body without being detected and by the time it is discovered repair parts may not be available. But thatís just my opinion. When I had two identical k-3 bodies thatís how I handled it.
The risk of something failing without being detected is a good point. Both of them are used, so there is no fear that the batteries will ever die due to lack of charge, however I'm realizing one of the two is used significantly more than the other.

And from the replies I got I understand it's a complicated question without a clear answer.

I think I will keep bringing the more used body on the trips where I know I will not be able to care too much of the camera (hiking for example) while start bringing the less used one on the others. That way the number of actuations on both cameras should level off with time.

Thanks everyone for your answers.
06-01-2022, 03:12 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

After 10 years, digital camera bodies are barely worth 1/3 of their original value anyway. Used K3's sell for 400 $ on eBay. Only lenses keep their value.

Regards