Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2008, 06:46 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Get beginners in all the time that shoot Canon. Most are already whispering the "L lens" mantra. Canon does a better job of selling their expensive lenses than anyone else. Most of these noobis don't even know how to take their camera off green or scene mode.
Canon makes it easy to know what their best lenses are by calling them L. Whats the best Nikon, Sony, or Olympus lenses called? Pentax confuses with all their names. Limited better? Or is it DA*? Canon has people programmed from the beginning to look for the best lenses.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #13 WINNERS in P&S forum. Enter #14. Any brand camera. Enter now!

12-20-2008, 02:15 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
It looks like you're implying the Pentax 16-50 is a rebadge of a lens built by someone else. This isn't true. There has been considerable confusion regarding the relationship between Pentax and Tokina on this lens (as well as the others that were announced as having joint involvement), but as far as I know, the story seems to be that Pentax basically designed the lenses and licensed the design to Tokina, and they each build their own lenses from this design.

The one Pentax lens that *is* just a rebadge is the 18-250, which of course is really a Tamron in virtually all respects.
QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote
Isn't the Tokina 10-17 F/3.5-4.5 a rebadged Pentax with different mounts for Canon and Nikon?
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
My understanding is that this one is also like the 16-50 - Pentax and Tokina share the optical design, but each builds their own lenses.
Ahhhhh...I had always thought Tokina made them then Pentax put on the SMC. I guess I was mixed up since both the 16-50 and 10-17 are Tokina-branded in other mounts like Canon. Now I know