Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2008, 06:14 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I don't get it!

Most of my friends use either Canon or Nikon. No surprises there. However, I noticed that most of the Nikon users (not so much the Canon users) end up with Tamron or Sigma lenses on their D300 or D700 body because the Nikon lenses are so darn expensive! While me with my K20D, I am able to afford quality Pentax lenses!

Ok, before you shoot me down on Tamron and Sigma lenses, yes I know some are really good quality but what's the point if you cannot afford the lenses from the same manufacturer made for your camera body?

12-16-2008, 06:23 PM   #2
eclipsed450

the same reason people buy the bigger than they need house and better than they need cars...because everyone else has it, so it must be the right thing to do, instead of doing their own research and comparison...i meet more and more people with canon's and nikon's that are interested in what i'm shooting with, and hear stories of how their mom/dad/family had a k1000 or me or whatever, and they sold out by getting a "name brand"...it's pentax's own fault for not marketing better, but i actually like it, i feel "elite" in a way...
12-16-2008, 06:55 PM   #3
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eclipsed450 Quote
...but i actually like it, i feel "elite" in a way...
That's good I see usually Pentax-people thinks they are somehow more special than Canikonians. I think it's not even a secret. What's the thing with that?
12-16-2008, 07:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LittleSwans Quote
Most of my friends use either Canon or Nikon. No surprises there. However, I noticed that most of the Nikon users (not so much the Canon users) end up with Tamron or Sigma lenses on their D300 or D700 body because the Nikon lenses are so darn expensive! While me with my K20D, I am able to afford quality Pentax lenses!

Ok, before you shoot me down on Tamron and Sigma lenses, yes I know some are really good quality but what's the point if you cannot afford the lenses from the same manufacturer made for your camera body?
Just the opposite for me. Those who own Nikon usually purchase Nikor lenses.

Some Tamron and many Sigma lenses are world class quality. I am surprised you would apologize for mentioning those brands. We are not talking about no-name brand lenses.

12-16-2008, 08:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I also use Tamron lenses. I think my 28-75 and 70-200 are just great. Had pentax released such lenses and also in the same price range as tamron did, i would buy pentax, and would go for pentax lenses as first priority unless the price just make think otherwise.
12-16-2008, 08:24 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Pentax is more of an off-shoot company in terms of competing with Canon and Nikon. They don't usually try to get into the direct market, but take their own direction. That's what I like about them.
12-16-2008, 08:30 PM   #7

Location: N/E Victoria, Australia, on the mighty Murray River.
Photos: Albums
I got the k20d because it was as good if not better than cameras in the same class/price range.
I also purchased a Sigma lens because it gave me great quality at a reasonably price.
Not everyone is worried about having matching brand names on camera and lens.
Just because you have the same brand lens it doesn't automaticly make you a
better photographer and make other photographers inferior.
You can get pretty good quality from the 3rd party brands so why spend a huge amount on a
lens that a lot of people won't be able to tell the difference with.
Also its not just the camera and lens, it has a lot to do with the person
that is pushing the button.

12-16-2008, 08:45 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
With Nikon, they really should just get the 24-70 and be done with it...
12-16-2008, 09:22 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

It doesn't surprise me at all.

What does surprise me is Pentax camera users buying third party glass. For me, the whole reason for shooting Pentax is because I can use Pentax glass.
12-16-2008, 10:20 PM   #10
Pentaxian

but what's the point if you cannot afford the lenses from the same manufacturer made for your camera body?
Not everything from one manufacturer is the best, or meets the requirements..
12-16-2008, 11:31 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote

What does surprise me is Pentax camera users buying third party glass.
Let me show You why! Example:
Tamron 17-50/2.8 ~ 400$
Pentaf-DA 16-50/2.8 ~700$

Tamron 70-200/2.8 ~ 700$ + better reach
Pentax 50-135mm/2.8 ~ 800$

Only Pentax primes are incomparable to 3rd party primes and worth extra money.
I think Pentax users are just like N or C users, they use the best price/performance lens.
12-17-2008, 12:14 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
It doesn't surprise me at all.

What does surprise me is Pentax camera users buying third party glass. For me, the whole reason for shooting Pentax is because I can use Pentax glass.
My thoughts exactly.

After having one Tamron lens...I'll never have another. (We're talking new plastic ones...the ones with SP on them are a spit in the face to the solid metal vintage SPs).

And isn't the point of Nikon good zooms? I can't see any other reason to have a Nikon.
QuoteOriginally posted by skaktuss Quote
Let me show You why! Example:
Tamron 17-50/2.8 ~ 400$
Pentaf-DA 16-50/2.8 ~700$

Tamron 70-200/2.8 ~ 700$ + better reach
Pentax 50-135mm/2.8 ~ 800$

Only Pentax primes are incomparable to 3rd party primes and worth extra money.
I think Pentax users are just like N or C users, they use the best price/performance lens.
DA* = weather sealed
DA* = SDM focus

What's the point of a sealed camera without sealed lenses? I won't go out unless it's just misting or lightly snowing. That's why I'll pick up the 16-50 down the road.
12-17-2008, 01:29 AM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote

DA* = weather sealed
DA* = SDM focus

What's the point of a sealed camera without sealed lenses? I won't go out unless it's just misting or lightly snowing. That's why I'll pick up the 16-50 down the road.
What is the purpose of a lens? Using it as an umbrella or taking a good pictures? I don't have full pockets of money and there are many amateur photographers like me, so I'd better choose cheaper lens with a same or similar optical performance and buy another lens for the rest of the money. Of course, better for me would be a cheaper 16-50/2.8 Pentax lens without sealing and sdm - it's the optical quality why I love Pentax, not extra features. If I would be a fast autofocus and sealed lens freak, I'd go for a C*non and L lenses.
Those who need extra features buy DA* lenses, those who don't have enough money and don't need SDM and WS have to choose a 3rd party lens, because there is no fast Pentax budget lenses as Tamron 17-50
12-17-2008, 03:04 AM   #14

Optical quality aside, I find it hard to understand the reasoning of someone that chooses to invest in a camera system on the basis that in-lens stabilization works better than in-body stabilization. Then, they buy lenses that have no stabilization at all.

The way I see it, if we both have 5 lenses in our bags. They probably have 2 stabilized lenses and the rest non-stabilized. All of mine are stabilized. You tell me which is the better choice.
12-17-2008, 04:50 AM   #15
Veteran Member

The problem with nikon lenses are that their image quality are often no matter than tamron or sigma lenses.