Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2022, 02:56 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K20D has arrived in pristine condition

Oh my, it's throwback Wednesday here! My newly purchased K20D just arrived (seen here on some of the shots side-by-side with my KP) and it looks absolutely pristine. Not yet 10k clicks on the meter, clean LCD top and back and all functions check out as expected. I am truly over the moon. I shot some of my most memorable travel shot with the K20D over 11 years ago and had a hard time switching over to the K-5 when I finally did.

I just quickly snapped some shots today, walking through the range of possible settings, doing an f22 shot against a clear blue sky to check for sensor issues - everything looks absolutely superb. All systems are go.

I'll play with it a bit more over the next few days and then it goes off to Germany (where I incidentally picked it up for a measly 129 BTW) for an IR conversion (I finally settled on 630nm). Cannot wait to try it with the DA16-85mm shown on the images but even more on the Sigma 8-16 which is said to behave quite decently in IR without hotspots.

Quite fun to put them side by side and get a feel for the differences which have occurred in over 12 years of DSLR development. My KP is quite a bit smaller even if you wouldn't immediately say so due to the monster Irix30mm on it. But handling the K20D I immediately remember why I so loved that model. What a grip, what a heft to it, what a balance!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-A528B  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-A528B  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-A528B  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SM-A528B  Photo 
06-01-2022, 08:20 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Very nice! Mine is also in mint condition, and probably with even less shutter actuations. Though the KP is my most often-used model, and I only rarely use the K20D these days, when I do I still enjoy its special qualities. Very good quality imaging in good lighting. I agree, those who like a meaty feeling grip, the K20D sure has one. Handling is excellent. I also have the battery grip, but only used it a few times.
06-01-2022, 09:06 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Must be something in the air. I just revived my long neglected K20D this past week. Same beautiful machine but lacking a functional AF for some reason. Not that I miss it much. Its future will also be as an IR camera when/if I get the required sheckles together.
06-02-2022, 02:53 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I took one of my best ever image with my K20 + FA 50 mm f/1.4 (my 2 year-old granddaughter) :

06-02-2022, 03:15 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
Oh my, it's throwback Wednesday here! My newly purchased K20D just arrived (seen here on some of the shots side-by-side with my KP) and it looks absolutely pristine. Not yet 10k clicks on the meter, clean LCD top and back and all functions check out as expected. I am truly over the moon. I shot some of my most memorable travel shot with the K20D over 11 years ago and had a hard time switching over to the K-5 when I finally did.

I just quickly snapped some shots today, walking through the range of possible settings, doing an f22 shot against a clear blue sky to check for sensor issues - everything looks absolutely superb. All systems are go.

I'll play with it a bit more over the next few days and then it goes off to Germany (where I incidentally picked it up for a measly 129 BTW) for an IR conversion (I finally settled on 630nm). Cannot wait to try it with the DA16-85mm shown on the images but even more on the Sigma 8-16 which is said to behave quite decently in IR without hotspots.

Quite fun to put them side by side and get a feel for the differences which have occurred in over 12 years of DSLR development. My KP is quite a bit smaller even if you wouldn't immediately say so due to the monster Irix30mm on it. But handling the K20D I immediately remember why I so loved that model. What a grip, what a heft to it, what a balance!
I always shed a tear when someone shouts from the rooftop that the camera arrived in pristine condition and in the same message reveal that they are going to mutilate it... 😢
06-02-2022, 03:25 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
I always shed a tear when someone shouts from the rooftop that the camera arrived in pristine condition and in the same message reveal that they are going to mutilate it... 😢
I sympathize, really I do. But I wanted a relatively cheap camera to mod be it one which I know very well and fits all of my good optics. Would a banged-up K110D have satisfied you? (Just joking of course)

I agree that, looking at this camera body brings back so many good memories and awesome photo opportunities. It almost hurts me physically to have to do this. But in order for me to take a step, it must be done! Samples from my old K20D back 12 years ago:

06-02-2022, 07:43 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RICHARD L. Quote
I took one of my best ever image with my K20 + FA 50 mm f/1.4 (my 2 year-old granddaughter) :
Beautiful shot of a beautiful child! Nice use of flash- just right, not overdone.

I recall we've had at least one or more who regularly shoot portraits and claimed the K20D provided them with the best portraits of all the camera bodies tried, including much more current models. The comments were especially favorable regarding skin tones. I have not tried such comparisons myself, but if I should intend to specifically do some portraitures, I will keep their comments in mind!

06-03-2022, 04:49 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Beautiful shot of a beautiful child! Nice use of flash- just right, not overdone.
Thanks !! I bought this FA 50 mm f/1.4 especially to take this picture. I had an A 50 mm f/1.7 but I could never focus manually fast enough to catch her fleeting expressions. It still was a lot a work to get this image right but the Autofocus and a reliable built-in Flash performance helped. The Samsung sensor rendered sometimes weird "blues" but this picture is the best I ever got of her eyes (she has the eyes of her grandmother).

Best Regards
06-14-2022, 01:29 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote

Sweet, it was my first Pentax DSLR and served me well, and I want to try the older cousin the K10D, which was the last CCD APS-C camera from Pentax.
06-14-2022, 11:29 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree, the K20 has a sentimental value for me too. I still have it. It is in debug mode since I use it to convert my 16-50 to screw mount.

I agree, I took the best picture of my eldest son paired with the FA 50mm 1.4.
Thank you for bringing back memories.
06-22-2022, 08:39 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It's dead Jim

It's dead, Jim

The guy who did the conversion just let me know the camera won't power up anymore. Looks like a mainboard short. Luckily he dealt with it very professionally and offered to source another K20D at no cost to me or a K-5 for 80 more. I went for the K-5. Not exactly as nostalgic as the K20D but way better in terms of live view and ISO performance...every downside has its upside I guess.