Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2022, 07:32 PM   #76
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 5teve Quote
HI All

Ive been a pentax user since the K20 and progressed to the original K3 - I have a tamron 28-75 2.8 and a Tamron 70-200 2.8. I loved these lenses on the K20, but since getting the K3 - I just cannot get good shots. I can either get sharp up close ones and oof distance shots or with adjustment, vise versa. This is for both lenses, so my conclusion (as well as speaking to the pentax distributor) is that the tamrons or speciifcially my tamrons just do not play nicely with my K3. Its that bad that I've almost stopped using the camera, as i get a keeper rate of probably 25-40% and i'm not fussy on keepers.

So now I find myself at a crossroads... I know the camera market is depressed and the pentax range is minimal on bodies.. so I figure I have some options..

1, Buy new lenses and hope the K3 works with them - I'd be looking at Pentax 28-70 2.8 and either the 70-200 F2.8 or the 70-210 F4 - Still in the region of 3-4k AUD - I'd need to send the K3 in for service too..
2, Buy a whole new kit with above lenses and new K3 III - I'm looking at some serious money here in Aus.. Sell what I have either in parts or as a whole - I have the k20 still too..
3, Change Eco system.. probably head to Fuji or the like. I can get an XT4 with lens for less than a Pentax lens.. it fairly compelling, but I love Pentax, I love the size and feel (I use a grip too - I like the larger feel)

My main subjects would be my 5 year old (very fast) when we travel and go places (every weekend) and My K3 doesnt do a good job with current lenses - but may be better with the newer lenses. I know the K3 III is a big upgrade from the K3.. but still not sure if staying with Pentax is the right decision.. I dont change cameras often (as you can tell) I tend to buy the best I can afford at the time, and wait until something significantly better arrives many years later. Unfotunately although the camera is technically better the k20 - k3 move was not the best thing I have done.. but I feel this is a lens compatibility issue not camera...

What would your valued thoughts be? Yes I know its likely to be biased.. being a pentax forum.. but I also know a lot of people on here are very honest with their opinions!

Steve
I have exactly that same setup - the original K-3, the Tamron 28-75 (Tamron SP AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF)) and 70-200 (Tamron AF 70-200mm f/2.8 (IF) MACRO LD Di SP A001). I never had that kind of problem with these lenses on that camera, the K-r, or, more recently, the K-1 Mk II. The lenses are very sharp, particularly the 70-200 stopped down a little, on all three cameras.

If you're going to borrow a sharp lens to test the camera, get a fast 50; I have the F 1.7, which is incredibly sharp stopped down, as is the manual SMC 1.4. My bet is that it's your K-3 that needs some adjustment.

06-15-2022, 03:20 AM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I vote for [MENU] Custom Settings > 26 -AF Fine Adjustment, which MUST be done through the viewfinder.

Since it's likely you've already tried that, I would take a look at the EXIF info for your NON-keepers, and see of there's a common thread. Shake reduction can fix a LOT of camera movement, but NOTHING can fix moving subject blur. Try higher ISO or wider f-stop at higher shutter speeds (faster than 1/250 second).

Remove the lens and CAREFULLY shine a very bright light through it while making sure you don't blind yourself, You're looking for haze, scratches, fog or fungus. I have many Tamron lenses and they make fantastic images most of the time, as long as I use the lens hood, and avoid having extremely bright lights in the field of view.

Your workhorse zoom sounds like the Tamron A09. I like mine on my K-1ii. It is a sharp screwdriver-focus lens which is tailored for the pixel geometry of full frame sensors. On APS-C it's not as sharp since there are fewer pixels than full frame but in a much denser arrangement.

I used to be very skeptical of people here gently suggesting to me that my old, expensive collection of world-class film lenses was not a good match for APS-C. I figured they were drinking the new lens manufacturers' advertising Kool-Aid.

Turns out I was wrong.

I now know that when I use even the relatively inexpensive "kit" lens which was designed on a blank sheet of paper to meet the demands presented by the unique pixel geometry of high-density APS-C sensors; that when I'm using lenses like my SMC Pentax-DA 1:3.5-5.6 18-135mm ED AL (IF) DC WR with its hood "glued" on, I get a very satisfactory percentage of excellent keepers on any of my APS-C Pentaxes. Best $150 bucks (US about $220 AUS) I ever spent! Very fast and accurate focus, sharp images, vivid, natural colors, "just right" contrast. It's a good close-up lens too.

My non-keepers are now mostly caused by faulty framing, lousy lighting and careless composition... All of which are my own fault.
06-15-2022, 07:02 AM   #78
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Shupienis Quote

I used to be very skeptical of people here gently suggesting to me that my old, expensive collection of world-class film lenses was not a good match for APS-C. I figured they were drinking the new lens manufacturers' advertising Kool-Aid.
You must have been reading another forum; almost everybody here encourages use of "legacy" lenses.
06-15-2022, 11:25 AM   #79

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I'm guessing the issue is the lenses. If you are shooting with a K-3, why not get a cheap 18-135 or a little more expensive 16-85 and see how you like it? Those lenses have slower apertures than your current lenses, but my guess is that they will play more nicely with your camera's autofocus system.

That's what I would try before flipping your camera body.
I have a new K3iii and a KP. I have a Sigma F2.8 17-50, a Pentax F4 55-300 and a Pentax 55 F1.4. I just bought a Pentax 18-135 F 3.5 and have found it to be my basic go-too lens. Try it. It is reasonably cheap, reasonably fast and fits just about any subject you may be shooting. I only need the Sigma when I want speed. As for the 55-300, I don't do birds or wildlife (well, rarely) so it is probably the least used of my lenses. Try the 18-135. It's a super lens.

06-15-2022, 12:12 PM   #80
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Some members here used to argue that old film primes demanded a “FF” digital camera.
It is true that primes take on different personalities using an “APS-C” camera.
For example, my work horse lens with a K-30 is a 28mm Takumar, but that is similar to the 45mm lenses that came attached to my two rangefinder cameras. That is fine.

added: If I want more telephoto, I also have 35mm Takumar. That is also fine.

Last edited by reh321; 06-15-2022 at 12:27 PM.
06-15-2022, 12:18 PM   #81
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by donaldslevine Quote
I have a new K3iii and a KP. I have a Sigma F2.8 17-50, a Pentax F4 55-300 and a Pentax 55 F1.4. I just bought a Pentax 18-135 F 3.5 and have found it to be my basic go-too lens. Try it. It is reasonably cheap, reasonably fast and fits just about any subject you may be shooting. I only need the Sigma when I want speed. As for the 55-300, I don't do birds or wildlife (well, rarely) so it is probably the least used of my lenses. Try the 18-135. It's a super lens.
When I purchased my K-30, I got a 18-135mm to go with it.
When I purchased my KP, I upgraded to a 20-40mm Ltd.
They are both fine lenses.
06-15-2022, 01:40 PM   #82
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Turns out I was wrong.
OK you may get a few more misses in focus but those old lenses are more than a match IQ wise.

06-18-2022, 01:38 PM   #83

I have both a K3 and K3 Mk2.. I use a DA 18-135, a DA 16-45, the prime DA 50, a DA*300, a Sigma 70-200, and a Sigma 17-70 C. No issues with focus, except the Sigma 70-200 on the K3 Mk2, which sometimes works and other times I have to turn off and then it resets and works perfectly - seems weird, as the Sigma 70-200 works perfectly on the K3 ( first version ).

I would say your K3 needs service, and, there is some adjustment ability to fine tune the lens to the camera.
06-20-2022, 08:36 AM   #84
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by 5teve Quote
HI All

Ive been a pentax user since the K20 and progressed to the original K3 - I have a tamron 28-75 2.8 and a Tamron 70-200 2.8. I loved these lenses on the K20, but since getting the K3 - I just cannot get good shots. I can either get sharp up close ones and oof distance shots or with adjustment, vise versa. This is for both lenses, so my conclusion (as well as speaking to the pentax distributor) is that the tamrons or speciifcially my tamrons just do not play nicely with my K3. Its that bad that I've almost stopped using the camera, as i get a keeper rate of probably 25-40% and i'm not fussy on keepers.

So now I find myself at a crossroads... I know the camera market is depressed and the pentax range is minimal on bodies.. so I figure I have some options..

1, Buy new lenses and hope the K3 works with them - I'd be looking at Pentax 28-70 2.8 and either the 70-200 F2.8 or the 70-210 F4 - Still in the region of 3-4k AUD - I'd need to send the K3 in for service too..
2, Buy a whole new kit with above lenses and new K3 III - I'm looking at some serious money here in Aus.. Sell what I have either in parts or as a whole - I have the k20 still too..
3, Change Eco system.. probably head to Fuji or the like. I can get an XT4 with lens for less than a Pentax lens.. it fairly compelling, but I love Pentax, I love the size and feel (I use a grip too - I like the larger feel)

My main subjects would be my 5 year old (very fast) when we travel and go places (every weekend) and My K3 doesnt do a good job with current lenses - but may be better with the newer lenses. I know the K3 III is a big upgrade from the K3.. but still not sure if staying with Pentax is the right decision.. I dont change cameras often (as you can tell) I tend to buy the best I can afford at the time, and wait until something significantly better arrives many years later. Unfotunately although the camera is technically better the k20 - k3 move was not the best thing I have done.. but I feel this is a lens compatibility issue not camera...

What would your valued thoughts be? Yes I know its likely to be biased.. being a pentax forum.. but I also know a lot of people on here are very honest with their opinions!

Steve
I'm sorry to hear you are not getting the results you want with your system. I upgraded to the K3 about 6 years ago and I have never had any issues with it. I have even had a couple of my photos printed on canvas (20"x30" and 24"x36") with great results. However, all the lenses I use are Pentax lenses; I mostly use the Pentax DA16-50mm 2.8 lens and DA55-300mm 4-5.8 lens. My favourite travel and hiking lens is the DA18-270mm 3.5-6.3. which is the lens that I've used to take my printed photos. I also have the HD 24-70mm 2.8 lens, which is the full frame lens, but I confess it gets used infrequently, not because of the quality, but more because it is heavy and my 16-50mm seems to cover my needs adequately. My recommendation for you is to either rent or purchase secondhand, a Pentax lens and see how it performs on your camera. Good luck!