Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 23 Likes Search this Thread
06-12-2022, 02:55 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by brewmaster15 Quote
Add to it that both Tamrons work on the ops k-20d but not his k-3 to me points to the k-3 being the issue.
Hmm- this is a worthy consideration. But then the K-3 works well with other lenses...

---------- Post added 06-12-22 at 03:00 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by 5teve Quote
So as far as the 70-200 - performance is drastically improved, when it gets focus.. BUT and this is the BIG BUT, it is still very inconsistent.
No doubt correcting a loose element should make a big difference, yet in this case still not perfect. But does it still work well on your K20D?

Last edited by mikesbike; 06-12-2022 at 03:01 PM.
06-12-2022, 10:59 PM - 1 Like   #47
Pentaxian

Steve, we are in the same town. Why don't you borrow my 18-135 to see how it goes on your K-3 before you make any expensive decisions?
06-13-2022, 05:17 AM   #48

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Hmm- this is a worthy consideration. But then the K-3 works well with other lenses...

---------- Post added 06-12-22 at 03:00 PM ----------

No doubt correcting a loose element should make a big difference, yet in this case still not perfect. But does it still work well on your K20D?
My K20 is buried away (I tried to sell it but had no interest when I bought the k3) so I would need to dig it out.

Yes the front element helped immensly with the quality of the shots and the focus was certainly closer.. but it was still too variable. I think its basically screw drive just doesnt work well in thei instance. I also think there is some incompatibility of the lens with the K3 too.. certainly live view demostrates it dramatically.. which apparently is a firmware thing never addressed on the tamron - pentax version.

Steve

---------- Post added 06-13-2022 at 12:21 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Gary H Perth Quote
Steve, we are in the same town. Why don't you borrow my 18-135 to see how it goes on your K-3 before you make any expensive decisions?
Thanks Garry I appreciate the offer - I was pointed in the direction of an 18-135 for 150aud in QLD.. however I think my crossroads are nearly crossed.. as I have been and bought a kit today.. to see how I find it.

Update to follow...

Steve

---------- Post added 06-13-2022 at 12:32 PM ----------

So an update..

I visited the local camera place today (the only one that barely stocks pentax - I think) They had a sale on - 15% off which helps..

The didnt have the K3 mk3 in stock.. didnt know when they would have it.. but let me play for a significant time with the Fuji XT4 and the Sony A7 1V

There was a huge price difference between the bodies but it became less when lenses were factored in. I liked the feel of the fuji, but the sony although I was assured has most complaints addressed, felt very plasticky. (Although the fuji seems like a toy compared to the k3)

Stock is becoming a big issue and with only 5 weeks to get something sorted.. I have bought a fuji XT4 and some lenses at a reasonable price. I'm not letting the pentax gear go yet as the handling is alien on the fuji and well.. you never know I just may not click with it.. so i'm hedging my bets (plus if I do nothing the boss will forget I have it haha)

I'd like to say a huge thank you to all that had input.. all that gave very balanced and very unbiased opinions.. and to say you have been a great help. My mind is not made up fully.. and maybe i'll just hang on to the old gear... but for now i'm going to play with the new 'toy' and see how we go.

Thanks again

Steve
06-13-2022, 08:15 AM - 1 Like   #49
Pentaxian

For photographing children I highly recommend moving to a mirrorless camera with face/eye detection.

However, "the lenses don't play nice" is very vague indeed. Really the only possible problem should be front or back focusing, which should be fixable by using the AF fine-tuning.

06-13-2022, 09:32 AM   #50
Veteran Member

I hope the Fuji works out for you! Very nice cameras. My mother switched to an XT-3 from her longtime Nikon DSLRs, due to her not being able to handle the weight any more. She seems very pleased with it, including with the AF.

I still remain unconvinced we got to the bottom of why your Pentax and lenses weren't working out for you, but I do believe there must have been some real issue. Others are doing well with screwdrive lenses, even older ones and third party ones. In any case, what matters is whether you're satisfied.
06-13-2022, 09:50 AM   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wadge22 Quote
I still remain unconvinced we got to the bottom of why your Pentax and lenses weren't working out for you, but I do believe there must have been some real issue. Others are doing well with screwdrive lenses, even older ones and third party ones. In any case, what matters is whether you're satisfied.
and he never has said what he expects - what aperture at what focal length, etc
06-13-2022, 06:32 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have found my screw-driven lenses, even 3rd party, to be faster, more sure-focusing when used on my KP. This is odd, because the KP on paper uses the same AF technology as the K-3 and K-3 II. Must be some kind of tweak of the AF configuration, since it came out quite a while after the K-3 II. Now there is a recent firmware update which is supposed to improve its AF performance even more with some screw-driven lenses. I have not yet installed this update, as I am afraid to do so with this mac pro computer, which in many ways presents too many mysteries and oddities for my very limited computer savvy. The Pentax KP, as a special compact model design, is the only DSLR able to compete wth high-end APS-C mirrorless models.

Good luck with your Fuji outfit.

06-13-2022, 09:16 PM - 1 Like   #53
Veteran Member

I've only skimmed this thread so won't weigh in heavily and risk repeating things.
These are questions that should have affirmative answers: Is the K-3 firmware up-to-date? (I didn't note if was or no...) Are the Tamrons in good working order. (Per CRK and OP's local camera shop, allegedly yes.)

This thread: Anyone with K-3+Tamron 70-200/2.8? - PentaxForums.com
and this thread: https://www.pentaxuser.com/forum/topic/k-3-firmware-update-58077/p-0
are two sides to the this same coin similarly.

As far as my dumb opinion is concerned, it's just this: move systems or do not, but in the long run if the OP is going to remain with Pentax I would invest in Pentax native glass, not 3rd party. As good as many 3rd party options are, they are all built for multiple systems and mounts. Weird niggles are simply going to be more common. There will always be fewer issues (both firmware and hardware) using native glass on a given system, especially if you move up the model range over time. Glass is king. Follow the glass, not the body.
06-14-2022, 07:52 AM   #54

HI All

Ive been a pentax user since the K20 and progressed to the original K3 - I have a tamron 28-75 2.8 and a Tamron 70-200 2.8. I loved these lenses on the K20, but since getting the K3 - I just cannot get good shots. I can either get sharp up close ones and oof distance shots or with adjustment, vise versa. This is for both lenses, so my conclusion (as well as speaking to the pentax distributor) is that the tamrons or speciifcially my tamrons just do not play nicely with my K3. Its that bad that I've almost stopped using the camera, as i get a keeper rate of probably 25-40% and i'm not fussy on keepers.

So now I find myself at a crossroads... I know the camera market is depressed and the pentax range is minimal on bodies.. so I figure I have some options..

1, Buy new lenses and hope the K3 works with them - I'd be looking at Pentax 28-70 2.8 and either the 70-200 F2.8 or the 70-210 F4 - Still in the region of 3-4k AUD - I'd need to send the K3 in for service too..
2, Buy a whole new kit with above lenses and new K3 III - I'm looking at some serious money here in Aus.. Sell what I have either in parts or as a whole - I have the k20 still too..
3, Change Eco system.. probably head to Fuji or the like. I can get an XT4 with lens for less than a Pentax lens.. it fairly compelling, but I love Pentax, I love the size and feel (I use a grip too - I like the larger feel)

My main subjects would be my 5 year old (very fast) when we travel and go places (every weekend) and My K3 doesnt do a good job with current lenses - but may be better with the newer lenses. I know the K3 III is a big upgrade from the K3.. but still not sure if staying with Pentax is the right decision.. I dont change cameras often (as you can tell) I tend to buy the best I can afford at the time, and wait until something significantly better arrives many years later. Unfotunately although the camera is technically better the k20 - k3 move was not the best thing I have done.. but I feel this is a lens compatibility issue not camera...

What would your valued thoughts be? Yes I know its likely to be biased.. being a pentax forum.. but I also know a lot of people on here are very honest with their opinions!

Steve
Steve , have a K70 with the kit 18-135 mm zoom that came with and it's a beautiful lens especially around 70mm , I don't have any Tamron lenses for Pentax so I'm not much help on that lens , but I do have a couple of sigma lenses that work wonderfully with it especially a 15mm prime and a 10-22 super wide , a Rihco 50 mm prime ( old lense same k mount) and a Pentax 35 mm that's wonderful to , I do have a fabulous Tamron zoom on an old Minolta that is gorgeous and gave me years of satisfaction, it really depends on what you like to shoot primes are generally faster than zooms even at their lower end , I have about 6 K mount Pentax and compatible lenses and 4 or 5 M42 screw mount adapted Pentax takuma lenses for my K70 that all have their charms . It's estimated that there over million lenses that are k mount , at least 6 or so camera makers adopted the l mount since 1975 ,
06-14-2022, 08:41 AM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

To the OP, I've been a Pentax shooter since the 1970s, starting with the K1000 and MX up through the LX for film, and then adopting the K100D around 2005. At one time or another I've probably used almost every lens Pentax has made. I am a dedicated Pentaxian. About 5 or 6 years ago I picked up a Fuji X100T. I loved the look and feel of the camera, including the film-era controls and film sims, and used it as a backup/walkaround camera. I really liked it, but I never fell in love with it and Pentax remained my primary system (K1ii + K3).

That changed a few years ago when I picked up a Fuji GFX 50R. I was amazed by the quality of the images coming off that sensor, and the fact that it was lighter and more nimble than my K1 in almost every circumstance. It took me about a year to get comfortable with the mirrorless system versus the Pentax TTL optics. But now it is my go to camera for any serious work. Recently, I picked up a Fuji X-Pro3 to use for street and travel, and despite that it's a crop sensor I now prefer it over the K1 or K3 for those applications. I will never give up entirely on Pentax, but my transition to Fuji is now complete and that is my primary system. I love the analog-style controls, and the images that come out of my Fuji cameras are every bit as good as those I've made with Pentax. Both the X-Pro 3 and GFX are a joy to use, and have the same kind of magic that I remember from picking up a camera way back when. (The X-Pro3 uses the same sensor as the XT4 you are considering, and the XT4 is probably a better choice for what you are looking for.) It takes some time to get used to a new system, but if you invest the time and effort in the system that is right for you, you won't look back. And, unlike Pentax, I am fairly confident that Fuji will be around 10 or 20 years from now.

There are a lot of other options of course, and most of my friends who have switched systems have gone with Sony or Canikon. I've always been a bit of a contrarian, and appreciated the more estoeric and unique camera systems. Probably why I stuck with Pentax for so long. For me, Fuji is the new Pentax. Good luck with whatever path you choose.

Last edited by EstimatedEyes; 06-14-2022 at 09:30 AM.
06-14-2022, 08:56 AM   #56

HI All

Ive been a pentax user since the K20 and progressed to the original K3 - I have a tamron 28-75 2.8 and a Tamron 70-200 2.8. I loved these lenses on the K20, but since getting the K3 - I just cannot get good shots. I can either get sharp up close ones and oof distance shots or with adjustment, vise versa. This is for both lenses, so my conclusion (as well as speaking to the pentax distributor) is that the tamrons or speciifcially my tamrons just do not play nicely with my K3. Its that bad that I've almost stopped using the camera, as i get a keeper rate of probably 25-40% and i'm not fussy on keepers.

So now I find myself at a crossroads... I know the camera market is depressed and the pentax range is minimal on bodies.. so I figure I have some options..

1, Buy new lenses and hope the K3 works with them - I'd be looking at Pentax 28-70 2.8 and either the 70-200 F2.8 or the 70-210 F4 - Still in the region of 3-4k AUD - I'd need to send the K3 in for service too..
2, Buy a whole new kit with above lenses and new K3 III - I'm looking at some serious money here in Aus.. Sell what I have either in parts or as a whole - I have the k20 still too..
3, Change Eco system.. probably head to Fuji or the like. I can get an XT4 with lens for less than a Pentax lens.. it fairly compelling, but I love Pentax, I love the size and feel (I use a grip too - I like the larger feel)

My main subjects would be my 5 year old (very fast) when we travel and go places (every weekend) and My K3 doesnt do a good job with current lenses - but may be better with the newer lenses. I know the K3 III is a big upgrade from the K3.. but still not sure if staying with Pentax is the right decision.. I dont change cameras often (as you can tell) I tend to buy the best I can afford at the time, and wait until something significantly better arrives many years later. Unfotunately although the camera is technically better the k20 - k3 move was not the best thing I have done.. but I feel this is a lens compatibility issue not camera...

What would your valued thoughts be? Yes I know its likely to be biased.. being a pentax forum.. but I also know a lot of people on here are very honest with their opinions!

Steve
If your "old Tammy" lenses do not play well with your new K-3, I assume this during AF sessions in your inability to get sharp photos. Are you able to get sharp photos in manual focus sessions. I assume you can, if so there is obviously a mismatch with lens and body that may need adjustment....or as suggested my others try at a store or rent from someone a D FA28-105 or whatever to isolate the problem. I doubt it's the body.
06-14-2022, 09:26 AM   #57
Pentaxian

HI All

Steve
Simple answer-use manual focus. Probably not the answer you wanted though......
06-14-2022, 09:38 AM - 1 Like   #58
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My K20 is buried away (I tried to sell it but had no interest when I bought the k3) so I would need to dig it out.

Yes the front element helped immensly with the quality of the shots and the focus was certainly closer.. but it was still too variable. I think its basically screw drive just doesnt work well in thei instance. I also think there is some incompatibility of the lens with the K3 too.. certainly live view demostrates it dramatically.. which apparently is a firmware thing never addressed on the tamron - pentax version.

Steve

---------- Post added 06-13-2022 at 12:21 PM ----------

Thanks Garry I appreciate the offer - I was pointed in the direction of an 18-135 for 150aud in QLD.. however I think my crossroads are nearly crossed.. as I have been and bought a kit today.. to see how I find it.

Update to follow...

Steve

---------- Post added 06-13-2022 at 12:32 PM ----------

So an update..

I visited the local camera place today (the only one that barely stocks pentax - I think) They had a sale on - 15% off which helps..

The didnt have the K3 mk3 in stock.. didnt know when they would have it.. but let me play for a significant time with the Fuji XT4 and the Sony A7 1V

There was a huge price difference between the bodies but it became less when lenses were factored in. I liked the feel of the fuji, but the sony although I was assured has most complaints addressed, felt very plasticky. (Although the fuji seems like a toy compared to the k3)

Stock is becoming a big issue and with only 5 weeks to get something sorted.. I have bought a fuji XT4 and some lenses at a reasonable price. I'm not letting the pentax gear go yet as the handling is alien on the fuji and well.. you never know I just may not click with it.. so i'm hedging my bets (plus if I do nothing the boss will forget I have it haha)

I'd like to say a huge thank you to all that had input.. all that gave very balanced and very unbiased opinions.. and to say you have been a great help. My mind is not made up fully.. and maybe i'll just hang on to the old gear... but for now i'm going to play with the new 'toy' and see how we go.

Thanks again

Steve
I've been following this thread awhile w/o contributing to the discussion. When you get accustomed to the Fuji style and controls, I am certain that you will enjoy using it. Cameras have come a long way since the last Fuji that I bought, an XE-2. It made good images, but was not what I needed for my photography. In the earlier models there was just too much lag in tracking and focusing for me. I understand that those problems have been virtually eliminated. Enjoy your shooting and keep the old Pentax gear. You can never have too much gear. Mike
06-14-2022, 09:39 AM   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by martin42mm Quote
Simple answer-use manual focus. Probably not the answer you wanted though......
And seeing your aversion to manual focus mentioned in an earlier post, it really is as simple as riding a bike. I really doesn't need patience, and you don't have the niggle of wondering if AF has managed a sharp image of what you wanted to be sharp rather than what it felt was correct. It is only a tool, and AF will never be 100% accuarte no matter what advances are made.

But as long as your eyesight is good, once you've got the hang of manual focus, it becomes second nature. OK, when I got my first SLR back in the 60s there was no such thing as AF, but I never had any issue with nailing focus, and I still don't. With my current AP I still use manual focus, and have not even changed the focus screen as I did with my K-S1. And not all of my lenses are wide aperture either, so I don't have the benefit of a super-bright image every time either. But I do have the benefit of no distracting AF markers in the V/F because I've turned them all off bar one. Grab a favourite lens before you go out shooting next time, practice with manual focus, and you will no longer have any doubts about it..
06-14-2022, 09:54 AM   #60
Veteran Member

I love manual focus, and use it much of the time. But I have no illusions that it's a good solution for everyone.
Furthermore, EVF cameras allow for focus aids in the viewfinder, like focus peaking or zoomed in views; this is the largest reason I would ever consider getting a mirrorless (and if I did, it would likely be a Fuji).