Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2022, 10:25 AM - 1 Like   #61
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wadge22 Quote
I love manual focus, and use it much of the time. But I have no illusions that it's a good solution for everyone.
Furthermore, EVF cameras allow for focus aids in the viewfinder, like focus peaking or zoomed in views; this is the largest reason I would ever consider getting a mirrorless (and if I did, it would likely be a Fuji).
To be honest , I HATE focusing aids, with the noble exception of microprisms. They are so often a distraction from the whole bsuiness of taking a decent photograph. But everyone is different, and the fact that of all focus aids I still prefer a plain unadorned ground glass screen , albeit with modern technology that that has improved it measurably from my Zenit days. The fewer distractions I have when taking a photograph the better as far as I'm concerned.

06-14-2022, 10:31 AM   #62

I think for the price of the Fuji XT4 + lens you could have got a Canon EOS R + 24 - 105mm lens for the same money. You would then have a full frame mirrorless camera system. I'm not biased and I don't harbour brand loyalty. I'm on this forum because I own a 645Z which is a different type of beast altogether. But I have always used Canon's as my workhorse system because they have never failed me yet after starting with the A1 in 1980. With regard to your 11 year old Tamron Lenses, maybe they just can't resolve the higher resolution that the K3 produces. Who knows, but if the K3 works with Pentax lenses which is good glass then I would be pointing the finger at the Tamrons as the culprit. Maybe the Tamron AF motors and gear have just had enough. You wouldn't notice on a lower res but definitely notice with a higher res if the point of focus is always a bit loose.
06-14-2022, 10:35 AM   #63

Hopefully not beating a dead horse:

Autofocus especially on zoom lenses gives the developer some challenges that most customers arenīt aware off.

Notably and perhaps in this case the momentum of the turning and moving masses in relation to the mechanic friction and dampening, mostly by the grease.

The camera developer really needs to know how far the lense will go further on itīs own when he turns off the motor or it will overshoot position every time.
Do this for a 100 different lenses? Guesswork. Not pretty.

And simply turning back the lens to the wanted position doesnīt work either.
a) You risk getting into pumping.
b) the mechanics have a minimum movement that gets bigger when the number of the elements are rising. (Zoom)
c) too slow!
A lot of things can be influential: Viscosity of the grease, (Aging and dust) different friction caused by wear/bending/100 things.
Temperature, even a a different battery voltage. And of course if you put the camera up or down.

So, itīs not very surprising that a new camera has problems with 11 year old third party lenses. Chances are, Pentax didnīt even test them.

Thatīs not very good news of course, but one of the things that I as a technical developer _love_ about my Pentax cameras is:
They continue pumping out firmware updates, especially to support more lenses.

So, perhaps making some (friendly) noise to Pentax Japan canīt hurt. Mention the forum.
(I wouldnīt even bother calling the Aussie guys. My experience with Japanese companies is that they are interested more in the opinion of their own garbagecan than that of the gaijins working for them in foreign countries.)

Chances are, some 2023 firmware update may bring pleasant surprises.

You may be surprised. Earlier in the year I got Honda Japan and Bridgestone Japan to correcting some 25 year old compatibility table which results in me being able to run brand new T32 tires on my 30 year Honda ST 1100 ABS bike.
This is not about money for them. There are probably like 500 of the bikes left in Germany. But being told by a German engineer that their numbers where incorrect all the ime and they didnīt had their act together? Thatīs about pride.

The guys in European headquarters? Useless. They had all the data for more than a year. After Honda and Bridgestone brought out new specs the Europeans started calling me and asked how I had done that for Christs sake?
My answer: "I didnīt call marketing. I called development. And told them Iīm a German developer."
06-14-2022, 10:51 AM   #64
Forum Member

I have a couple of thoughts, have you contacted Tamron for their advice. I purchased a 18-135 for my Pentax K-7 and later used it with my K-3. My original lens was very quick to focus but later in life the Aperture stuck and I sent it in for repair, the repaired lens works but it no longer snaps to focus. If you have access to a Pentax Distributer can he suggest a dealer near you so that you can go and try some lenses to see what might work for you. I had good luck with when photographing my grandchildren with the original DA 18-135, the DA 35, FA 77 and the DA 55 f 1.8 lenses. The original kit lens 18-55 is not shabby and very cost effective. I have since upgraded again to the K1 and the FA 28-105 is being used for great grandchildren. I am quite happy with it.

06-14-2022, 11:06 AM   #65
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by martin42mm Quote
To be honest , I HATE focusing aids, with the noble exception of microprisms. They are so often a distraction from the whole bsuiness of taking a decent photograph. But everyone is different, and the fact that of all focus aids I still prefer a plain unadorned ground glass screen , albeit with modern technology that that has improved it measurably from my Zenit days. The fewer distractions I have when taking a photograph the better as far as I'm concerned.
I do get that. With the EVF cameras you can turn them on and off, although I don't know how easily you can do so 'on the fly.'
I do think the subject matters for whether something like a zoomed in box is useful. Landscapes and still lifes maybe not so much. But when the subject is a small bird and you're planning for heavy cropping, a zoomed live-view box in the viewfinder would be ideal.
06-14-2022, 11:40 AM   #66
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by wadge22 Quote
I do get that. With the EVF cameras you can turn them on and off, although I don't know how easily you can do so 'on the fly.'
I do think the subject matters for whether something like a zoomed in box is useful. Landscapes and still lifes maybe not so much. But when the subject is a small bird and you're planning for heavy cropping, a zoomed live-view box in the viewfinder would be ideal.
I must admit I never plan for cropping, just as I never planned for it with film. If it's a small bird I'm planning to photograph, I'll put a slow mirror lens on the camera.Yes a fast long lens would be better, but needs must. At the end of the day i do not want to rely of cropping to get the desired photograph because it always compromises the quality of the final photograph. The same has always applied to 'digital' zoom settings.
Now if this was 6x6 film you could get away with it, but no matter how many megapixels you have, you are not going to get away with it without compromising quality.
06-14-2022, 12:57 PM   #67

QuoteOriginally posted by 5teve Quote
HI All

Ive been a pentax user since the K20 and progressed to the original K3 - I have a tamron 28-75 2.8 and a Tamron 70-200 2.8. I loved these lenses on the K20, but since getting the K3 - I just cannot get good shots. I can either get sharp up close ones and oof distance shots or with adjustment, vise versa. This is for both lenses, so my conclusion (as well as speaking to the pentax distributor) is that the tamrons or speciifcially my tamrons just do not play nicely with my K3. Its that bad that I've almost stopped using the camera, as i get a keeper rate of probably 25-40% and i'm not fussy on keepers.

So now I find myself at a crossroads... I know the camera market is depressed and the pentax range is minimal on bodies.. so I figure I have some options..

1, Buy new lenses and hope the K3 works with them - I'd be looking at Pentax 28-70 2.8 and either the 70-200 F2.8 or the 70-210 F4 - Still in the region of 3-4k AUD - I'd need to send the K3 in for service too..
2, Buy a whole new kit with above lenses and new K3 III - I'm looking at some serious money here in Aus.. Sell what I have either in parts or as a whole - I have the k20 still too..
3, Change Eco system.. probably head to Fuji or the like. I can get an XT4 with lens for less than a Pentax lens.. it fairly compelling, but I love Pentax, I love the size and feel (I use a grip too - I like the larger feel)

My main subjects would be my 5 year old (very fast) when we travel and go places (every weekend) and My K3 doesnt do a good job with current lenses - but may be better with the newer lenses. I know the K3 III is a big upgrade from the K3.. but still not sure if staying with Pentax is the right decision.. I dont change cameras often (as you can tell) I tend to buy the best I can afford at the time, and wait until something significantly better arrives many years later. Unfotunately although the camera is technically better the k20 - k3 move was not the best thing I have done.. but I feel this is a lens compatibility issue not camera...

What would your valued thoughts be? Yes I know its likely to be biased.. being a pentax forum.. but I also know a lot of people on here are very honest with their opinions!

Steve
Kobie, the Pentax YouTube guy has a sple opinion that
third party lenses are hit and miss.
I have a Tamron converter which works with older kit but not the current ones.

06-14-2022, 02:01 PM   #68
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

HI All

Ive been a pentax user since the K20 and progressed to the original K3 - I have a tamron 28-75 2.8 and a Tamron 70-200 2.8. I loved these lenses on the K20, but since getting the K3 - I just cannot get good shots. I can either get sharp up close ones and oof distance shots or with adjustment, vise versa. This is for both lenses, so my conclusion (as well as speaking to the pentax distributor) is that the tamrons or speciifcially my tamrons just do not play nicely with my K3. Its that bad that I've almost stopped using the camera, as i get a keeper rate of probably 25-40% and i'm not fussy on keepers.

So now I find myself at a crossroads... I know the camera market is depressed and the pentax range is minimal on bodies.. so I figure I have some options..

1, Buy new lenses and hope the K3 works with them - I'd be looking at Pentax 28-70 2.8 and either the 70-200 F2.8 or the 70-210 F4 - Still in the region of 3-4k AUD - I'd need to send the K3 in for service too..
2, Buy a whole new kit with above lenses and new K3 III - I'm looking at some serious money here in Aus.. Sell what I have either in parts or as a whole - I have the k20 still too..
3, Change Eco system.. probably head to Fuji or the like. I can get an XT4 with lens for less than a Pentax lens.. it fairly compelling, but I love Pentax, I love the size and feel (I use a grip too - I like the larger feel)

My main subjects would be my 5 year old (very fast) when we travel and go places (every weekend) and My K3 doesnt do a good job with current lenses - but may be better with the newer lenses. I know the K3 III is a big upgrade from the K3.. but still not sure if staying with Pentax is the right decision.. I dont change cameras often (as you can tell) I tend to buy the best I can afford at the time, and wait until something significantly better arrives many years later. Unfotunately although the camera is technically better the k20 - k3 move was not the best thing I have done.. but I feel this is a lens compatibility issue not camera...

What would your valued thoughts be? Yes I know its likely to be biased.. being a pentax forum.. but I also know a lot of people on here are very honest with their opinions!

Steve

Hello Steve. That is the common problem with investing in third party lenses. When you decide to upgrade, they are not compatible with newer technology. I have had this

experience myself with Sigma lenses, therefore, lesson learned and will not do it again. The K3 is a wonderful release from Pentax and will serve you very well for years to

come. My advice is to invest in more modern Pentax technology lenses that will also last you a lifetime and will be better performers. It will be money well spent.

Hope this helps. Tonytee )
06-14-2022, 02:49 PM   #69
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Hello Steve. That is the common problem with investing in third party lenses. When you decide to upgrade, they are not compatible with newer technology. I have had this

experience myself with Sigma lenses, therefore, lesson learned and will not do it again. The K3 is a wonderful release from Pentax and will serve you very well for years to

come. My advice is to invest in more modern Pentax technology lenses that will also last you a lifetime and will be better performers. It will be money well spent.

Hope this helps. Tonytee )
He is talking about the original K-3 which normally works perfectly well with Tamron lenses (apart from live view) so this is definitely not a general compatibility issue.

06-14-2022, 04:00 PM   #70

HI All

Steve
Have you tried calibrating the focus? I did that on my K3 many times using a target board designed for the purpose. These boards are cheap and the camera manual explains how to do it. Camera will remember the lens after that.
06-14-2022, 04:41 PM   #71
Pentaxian

The issues with the tamrons are inconsistent focus throughout the zoom range, with both lenses. I can apply lens focus adjustments to help, but i lose focus (front or back focuses) at the long or short end depending on where I adjust it (obviously adjusting to a chart - not something I can do out when shooting) I have a pentax 16-45 that behaves as it should and thats what made us come to the conclusion of an incompatible lens.. CRK and a local camera shop have had a look and even checked the lens.. and concluded the same. Both tamron lenses are around 11 years old... and been used pretty hard. They worked great on my old K20..
Hello.
I owned the 28-75 for many years. I used it with my old *DS, then K7, K5 and K3-II. I had a lot of focusing issues. First, as you described, it front or back focuses depending on the AF fine tunning. That is, you can fine tuning for the long end or the wide end, but not for both. Also, the focus depends on the aperture: in f2,8-f5 aperture range, I had the focusing issues you describe, but starting at f5.6, I could set a single AF tunning value and get sharp pictures at all focal lenghts (and no, this is not because the greater depth of field, there was a noticeable difference beetween f5 and f5,6). This is something I noticed on several zooms I owned. Primes, in general, have less focusing issues.
When I bought the K3-II focusing accuracy improved, and I could use this lens at f4 with (more or less) acceptable results.
But some years ago I decided to buy another standard zoom, because, in my opinion, this old lens had several issues: one is the focusing accuracy, but also this lens was not sharp enough for a modern (>24Mpx) body. Also, the focal length range, 28-75 is not adecuate for APSC cameras, in my opinion.
So I bought a Sigma 17-50 and got better results.
Anyway I think that Pentax lenses had less issues with focusing, compared to 3rd party ones.

In my case, I experimented a similar situation this year. I had (or 'felt') the need to make a radical change in my equipment. I finally found my own way. If you are curious about Pentax user experiences with Fuji or other brands, there is a section in the forums that you can visit ("Canon, Nikon, Sony and other camera brands"). I created a thread with my own experience there, if you are interested.

Regards.
06-14-2022, 04:49 PM   #72

I agree with RobA_Oz, see if you can try the 18-135. I have one for my K5 but I also use it on the K1 mkii (in crop mode) and have no issues. You might be able to pick up a good 2nd hand one.
06-14-2022, 05:53 PM   #73
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

HI All

Steve
Hi 5teve,

Do you have the latest K3 v1.43 firmware? Might be worth a try?

Regards

George
06-14-2022, 06:00 PM   #74
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Forgot to mention it may be worth a reset back to factory settings before the firmware upgrade - search forum for "Resetting a K 3 Back to Factory Settings".
06-14-2022, 06:28 PM - 1 Like   #75
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
HI All

Steve
It really depends on your budget, but a better AF camera are plenty out there nowadays since its been so many years since the camera slump and there are many older and good models out there for cheap.
1. Get a older Olympus OM-D ii or iii camera - they are sold very cheaply, AF well and the range on lenses between 3rd party and Panny/Oly is rather wide
2. Sony A7iii (at least) - which is again 'ok priced for a FF' ; lots of lenses to choose from. If I had to start fresh small UWA; FE28/1.8; 50/1.8; 85/1.8 - done... (or cheaper and also as good with AF Samyang 18/45/75/135mm