Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2008, 02:07 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Ist DL2 batteries

Went out with my istd2 to take some pics (it was cold, but not freezing) and soon the battery indicator started flashing. Switching it on and off again helped me to take a few more shots but soon it was "rien ne vas plus" and I had to call it a day. At home I found out that the batteries (they have this little indicator strip) were still something like 60% charged. Now my question: Is my camera playing tricks on me or should I buy different batteries (than the duracell ultra m3 I'm using now?)

12-17-2008, 03:50 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Percentage is meaningless as a measure of charge. The camera responds to voltage levels. When the voltage drops below a certain level, the camera can't use them any more. Doesn't matter is they could hold that reduced voltage for another year - they might as well have no charge at all. And over time, batteries lose their ability to hold up their voltage levels. So what you need are batteries that can hold their voltage above that magic threshold longer than your current batteries. What you are some Eneloops. Even though their total capacity is less than some others, they hold their voltage above the threshold Pentax requires for longer.
12-17-2008, 05:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

electronics and cold temperatures don't get along...
12-17-2008, 06:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rojaba Quote
Went out with my istd2 to take some pics (it was cold, but not freezing) and soon the battery indicator started flashing. Switching it on and off again helped me to take a few more shots but soon it was "rien ne vas plus" and I had to call it a day. At home I found out that the batteries (they have this little indicator strip) were still something like 60% charged. Now my question: Is my camera playing tricks on me or should I buy different batteries (than the duracell ultra m3 I'm using now?)
It depends which Duracell Ultra M3 -
are you talking about -

the alkaline AA batteries
or
the Lithium CR-V3?

If they were the alkaline batteries then low temperatures do adversely affect them - you can try to take them out and warm them up in your hands and see if they behave any better.

Pentax dSLRs are notorious for being very battery fussy.

In fact the manual for the Pentax K100D (strong inheritance from the *ist D series) say that alkalines are only usable for checking the camera and they do not recommend their usage.

In terms of economics and usability Marc above has already recommened the usage of eneloops - and I really second that recommendation - or any of the confirm re-badges of the eneloop - they have been shown to maintain higher operating voltage under load than any other NiMH rechargeable AA - so are much better suited for use in Pentax dSLRs.

A more easily available re-badge is the Duracell Pre-Charged - but big caveat - they must be the made in Japan with white top surrounding the +ve button versions.

The ultimate solution is to use lithium batteries like the Energizer e2 Lithium AAs, or Lithium CR-V3 - but that can be expensive in the long run.

So if your Duracell Ultra M3 were the lithium CR-V3 -
then either the batteries were actually really near depletion -
or there might be something wrong with your camera.....

12-18-2008, 05:49 AM   #5

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
checked, it's the alkaline ones, will look into buying the ones you suggested, thanks a lot!
12-18-2008, 11:13 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rojaba Quote
checked, it's the alkaline ones, will look into buying the ones you suggested, thanks a lot!
Just to be more relevant - I found the Pentax *ist DL2 pdf manual on-line
(even Pentax.co.uk didn't have it - I had to go to Pentax.ca - Canada to find it)

Here's the relevant section about batteries -

note what they say about alkaline batteries
(actually, not surprisingly, the K100D manual looks the same as this)
12-19-2008, 02:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
Just to be more relevant - I found the Pentax *ist DL2 pdf manual on-line
(even Pentax.co.uk didn't have it - I had to go to Pentax.ca - Canada to find it)

Here's the relevant section about batteries -

note what they say about alkaline batteries
(actually, not surprisingly, the K100D manual looks the same as this)

There has been a long discussion of RCRV3 rechargeable lit

Pentax k200d and rechargeable batteries - Photo.net Pentax Forum

My DL is in semi retirement now after my K100D & K20D. It still works like a charm with a set of RCRV3 of my occasional use. Actual mileage of the RCRV3 is around 20K shots.

So far my only worry of it is to charge up the two RCRV3 around every 6 months. You sometimes forget their presence at all as they are foolproof. I can see why K20D has gone the route of proprietary batt

Daniel