Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2008, 03:17 PM   #1

Pricing mistake on K20D

Did any of you catch this? Apparently, it's already been fixed, but looks like
some people actually were shipped out K20D body-only kits for $30.24

Froogle link

The above link WILL eventually change, but i have a screen cap of it.

T

Last edited by Sharkonwheels; 12-17-2008 at 04:21 PM.
12-17-2008, 03:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
How do you know they were shipped out at that price? Companies never honor such mistakes.
12-17-2008, 04:28 PM   #3

Original Poster
Still showing $30.24 on froogle, but corrected on the vendor's website.

The person who told me about it, said that his shipped out already, and he had a tracking number.
Apparently that price has been there a couple days. Looking at the vendor's website, it looks like
their system is pretty automated, and items are shipped from distributors directly.

T
12-17-2008, 05:05 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I guess it is possible they went out the door like that. Yipes. It is also possible that they will turn around and demand reasonable payment for a mistake that was obvious to the buyer. That is similar to theft and they can come back to you.

Did the guy to whom the bank accidently wrote a $1,000,000 check instead of the $1,000 check get to keep it? What if the ATM goes wild and starts spitting out $20's?

Last edited by jocko_nc; 12-17-2008 at 05:11 PM.
12-17-2008, 05:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yikes - and I think they jacked up the price to make up for the few that did ship out
12-17-2008, 06:22 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Then...reality sinks in....

Nah. It's a hopeful myth that vendors "honor" stupendously incorrect pricing typos on websites. Sooner or later, there's a human who looks at the order and checks it against the charge ... I don't care if it's Amazon shipping a buzzillion items, someone eventually looks at a number. If the error was 720 dollars instead of the actual 750 dollars, maybe someone would shrug and figure avoiding the bad customer relations is worth the 30 dollar profit. But this ones so off that no one's going to let that ship. Might as well have tossed the new camera in the trash for that kind of loss.

germar
12-18-2008, 11:33 AM   #7

Well, not actually a myth, but I think it's far less common than it was in the past. At least in one case (a number of years ago) it worked for me. Bought an Atari 1200xl computer for a misprinted price (less than half what it should have been) in a sale ad, the store honored the price for the first batch of us that showed up (about three if I remember), then pulled the remaining stock as "sold out". That was with a printed ad though, I think something like that is covered by errors and omissions insurance, not sure if the same goes for online advertising nowdays.

12-18-2008, 01:11 PM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
You should be so lucky, well I never am.
12-18-2008, 01:33 PM   #9
Veteran Member

That cost was cheaper than my lunch yesterday!
12-18-2008, 01:37 PM   #10
Veteran Member

roentarre, You are rich! My lunch cost less than $5

/sigh so I have missed another crazy unknown deal again...
12-18-2008, 02:56 PM   #11

do not see the price

Sharkonwheels,

I do not see the cheap price on froogle !!!!

A websearch is returning $639 from US 1 photo.

One of my friends is planning to buy a K20D. I will tell him about US 1 photo price.
12-18-2008, 05:02 PM   #12

Original Poster
Check if Adorama will do the $699 with 18-55mm lens kit.
Call and ask.

Check on resellerratings.com on an online seller, before you actually purchase.
You don't want to go with a risky seller.

Adorama, B&H, and others are reputable, honest sellers, and they even show up here
to assist customers when needed - that's cool!

kibipod - the price changed already - It's done and gone.

Some people actually had their ordered reviewed, processed, completed, charged, and shipped out. Their website, however, has NO disclaimers about price mistakes like everyone else on the web does, so I wonder if they can do anything? At least places like Amazon, buy.com, even target.com have disclaimers about price mistakes.

I know some people had their orders cancelled AFTER payment was made, which under their terms, once an order is accepter, price can't change. The Amazon case set the precedent, the judge ruled there was NOT a contract, because the buyer was not charged - that would mean once payment is rendered, it's a binding contract?

I dunno - one for the lawyers to sort out, I guess - "I ain't no lawyer."

T
12-18-2008, 11:11 PM   #13

Original Poster
OK - got more info from the guy... I got an "order cancelled because of a pricing mistake...." email, btw, in just a couple hours...

The guy said he ordered Tuesday, and his order went all the way through: reviewed, charged, even shipped.
2 days later (today) when items are out for delivery, he got an email really early saying that there was an error with the distributor on his order, that 2 manufacturers use the same part number, and that if he was expecting 150ft Cat5 cables, he was fine, but if he was expeting the Pentax K20D, they would not be in the box. They said to either refuse shipment, or call for an RMA.

Hehehe - cat5 cables - glad mine didn;t go through - 1 less RMA headache!

Funny part, is while people had ALREADY been receiving cancellation emails, and having orders cancelled (like me), others actually ALSO had their orders go through, and ship out. Of course, probably more Cat5 cables!

Now MY question is, can he actually DO anything? I mean he DOES have an invoice saying "paid in full" for 2 Pentax K20D's @ $30-and-change each, items (though incorrect) were shipped, and his C/C was charged... In the Amazon case a few years back, the judge let Amazon off the hook, because the guy's C/C was never charged... does that set a precedent that once you charge a customer there is a binding contract? They contacted him 2 days later, after all!

Thoughts?

Personally, I don't see a judge forcing the vendor to give up $1500 worth of merchandise for $60, but that's just my opinion... I dunno, again, "I ain't no lawyer."

If'n you want updates on this soap opera, lemme know...

hehehe...Cat5 cables - gotta love it -ya didn't get the cameras, so here's a consolation prize!

T
12-19-2008, 06:11 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sharkonwheels Quote
... if he was expecting 150ft Cat5 cables, he was fine, but if he was expeting the Pentax K20D, they would not be in the box.

T
As the old saying goes .... If it's too good to be true ...

Funny story, however!

germar
12-19-2008, 08:31 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Well, that isn't the only strange thing listed...they also have a Pentax FA 80-200/f2.8 listed for $49.95...when you click the link to the product, it turns out to be a Pentax 2 year extended warranty.