Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2008, 05:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

geodata?

i think that's the term right? i want to put a map addon to my site which reads geodata so i can have my images on the map, but it doesn't seem to be working. i'm using a k100d, does it come with some sort of thing?

12-20-2008, 02:13 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by impete82 Quote
i think that's the term right? i want to put a map addon to my site which reads geodata so i can have my images on the map, but it doesn't seem to be working. i'm using a k100d, does it come with some sort of thing?
If you're asking if the K100D records Geo positioning information than the answer is no. In fact, none of the current Pentax cameras do this.

There are add-ons available for Canon and Nikon but I haven't found anything that works with Pentax yet; at least not directly. There are, however, dataloggers which record geo positioning information for later insertion into the EXIF data of each of your photos.

See this: pictoGEO - GPS Geotagging Software to locate your photos

Also Panaramio is still offering a data logger as one of its monthly prizes.

Panoramio - Panoramio & ATP Geotagged Photo Contest
12-20-2008, 08:09 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Pete,

I too look at embeding location data into the EXIF, geocoding images. I am not a photographer, nor even an aspiring one. I am a documentor. Particularly when it comes to what I am really pasionate about, cycling. On most every bike ride I collect as much data as possible. My bike computer is GPS based and nearly every ride has a data track assoicated with it. It records all types of things like speed, direction, heart rate, cadence, grade, elevation as well as location. All of it time stamped and in a neat little XML file.

So what does this have to do with photography? Well, besides all this hard data, sometimes I want to remember what the route looked like and since I have ridden on nearly every road in this county I sometimes mix up routes, so when someone or I want to change things up I can refresh my memory as to which roads were more scenic than others, which were more arduous then others, etc. The other thing is that I often travel out of the area to ride someplace new. Since I am unfamiliar with these areas I like to remind myself why I went there in the first place. Photographing the ride is a perfect way to do that.

There are several ways to do this and you don't need a $10,000 dollar carbon fiber tandem bike and a GPS based cyclocomputer to do this. I also carry, clipped to my photo bag a cheap GPS datalogger. When I say cheap, I paid less than $25 for it. I bought on that uses a SIRF Star III chipset.

For a ton more information on GPS in general including user reviews go to GpsPasSion - Reference site GPS. Here is a picture of the one I bought, it is about the size of a Matchbox car and half the weight. It runs on two AAA batteries and will record a trackpoint every second for nearly three days. I turn it on when leaving on a trip and turn it off when I return later that day. Once back at home I download my images to the hard disk drive. I also attach the datalogger to my PC via USB and download the track. There are numerous free utilities that can then merge the track with the photos matching the time stamp of both or even extrapolating the exact location between two trackpoints if you choose to record using longer intervals. Some work directl on PEF files others on DNG, all work with JPEG. Google is your friend and will direct you to some of these.

I am not a Flickr fan but if you upload your images there, Flickr will take the geocode data and place your images on a map for you. Picasa will do this and also accept the GPX (this is the tracklog) and show you the actual route on a map and where the pictures were taken. Google Earth will do the same.

Geocoding is really not difficult at all and it only adds two steps to your post processing process. Step 1 download the tracklog, step 2 merge the information. There is on caveat. You must make sure that your camera has the correct time. It does not have to be exact to the second, example, if you are traveling 60mph you only travel 88 feet in one second. For the rest of the world you are traveling 100kph so only 27.8 meters in one second.

If you Google 'geocoding', that is the correct term, you will find thousands of references to how it is done. I suggest you just try it and have some fun. Here is a link to one bike ride that has geocoded images, you will see that the map actually shows the location each picture was taken from: http://picasaweb.google.com/WhereWasWaldo/AssaultOnMorrowMountain2?feat=directlink

Last edited by WheresWaldo; 12-20-2008 at 08:13 AM. Reason: added additional link