Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2008, 06:17 PM   #1
Inactive Account

a900 vs d700 vs 5d2 and then K20D?

The online photographer on sony vs nikon vs canon comparison is a good read but sudently the guy comes up with this:

" To test that impression, I compared it with what is becoming my "Old Trusty," the Pentax K20D, a currently $810 camera with a really good APS-C sized sensor (and which I also don't own, N.B.) The 5D Mark II is better than the 14.6-megapixel K20D. But it's not that much better. If the 5D Mark II lags behind the D700 by not-quite-a-stop in high-ISO noise, then the K20D lags behind the 5D Mark II also by not-quite-a-stop—certainly it looks at least as good at ISO 1250 as the Canon looks at ISO 2500 (and yes, I ran the tests). And the Canon does indeed have more resolution—but not that much more resolution. A paper size, maybe? Maybe a tad less? "

The Online Photographer

Well i'm keeping mine k20d till something REALLY much better comes up

12-19-2008, 06:57 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Original Poster
interesting!

140 views so far and no positive or negative coment about this quote?
12-19-2008, 08:12 AM   #3

One of my friends got the 5d mkii.
The other friend got the A900.
I tried both and I think 5D MKII is a better one due to it's high iso performance.

Regarding the comment:
The 5D Mark II is better than the 14.6-megapixel K20D. But it's not that much better.

I somehow disagree with this.
As if you read the review from here.
PopPhoto - Digital camera reviews, digital SLR Tests, photography news and all things digital imaging.
5D MKII cleary has advantages in all aspects (except auto focus in bright light -- so suprise)

I would say that even K30D, K40D still can't meet today's 5D MKII (picture quality wise).

But do I still love my K20D? sure.
But if some others ask me today. i would recommend the 5D MKII.

p.s. 5D MK II with the 35 1.4. It's very well balanced. Besides, it's pic is very 3D and good quality even in iso 1600.
12-19-2008, 08:47 AM   #4

Photos: Albums
I have 0 experience with the Mark II, but is the image quality REALLY $3000 better than the K20?? Or any other Prosumer Model in the 1k price range (40D, D90, A350, etc...) I realize that the 3K gets you a more features and capability, allowing you to capture photos you may not be able to with a lower end camera, but is the image quality itself really that much better?

12-19-2008, 09:11 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by yipchunyu Quote
One of my friends got the 5d mkii.

I would say that even K30D, K40D still can't meet today's 5D MKII (picture quality wise).
I'm not sure this is a fair statement, how can you judge the image quality of an un-released (even un-named) camera?
12-19-2008, 10:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Yesterday I went into my local shop and handled both the a900 and D700 for awhile (no Mk5II there). I have been pondering full frame because I like to print quite large on occasion, and I've been so impressed with the output of my DLux4 that I wanted a little more separation in quality between the p&s and dslr.

I will admit that it was not an exhaustive session, but I came away unimpressed with both the Sony and the Nikon. And I still own a D70 so I like Nikon. But frankly, the performance wasn't night and day above my K20d. And this was shooting indoors available light, which is what I normally am shooting.

The ergonomics are a big thing for me, and Pentax has that pretty much nailed. The seem to have found the right combination of complication with the interface (except I wish there was a dedicated iso button). Nikon isn't as intuitive, and the buttons on the Sony just don't feel as crisp and are too small for the body size.

Happily I walked out without spending thousands, though I did end up ordering a 31ltd as there is no substitute for great glass.

The bottom line is that it really depends on your needs. If I was doing extremely high detail commercial work or shooting sports for a living I'd be looking at Canikon. For my "art" and what I shoot, having a more unobtrusive body that I can easily work with combined with small, fast primes is a very good solution. All the specs in the world will not save you from having to actually handle the camera. And if you don't like that aspect of it, 75MP iso 640000 doesn't matter.
12-19-2008, 11:03 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by Scottie137 Quote
I have 0 experience with the Mark II, but is the image quality REALLY $3000 better than the K20?? Or any other Prosumer Model in the 1k price range (40D, D90, A350, etc...) I realize that the 3K gets you a more features and capability, allowing you to capture photos you may not be able to with a lower end camera, but is the image quality itself really that much better?
The camera is 2.7k body only, so saying it's 3k more than prosumer models is a stretch. Is it worth the extra cost? Well, that is almost one of those "if you have to ask" questions. If you're a pro and you *need* those 21 megapixels for your output medium, then yes it would be worth it. If you're like me and print 4x6s and re size web images to 800x536, then good luck seeing a difference. Pretty much in this day and age any modern dSLR is going to produce fantastic results. What you buy comes down to a matter of what you need or want, and how much you're willing to spend to get it.

I have to say, though, that the 5dmkII is pretty tempting. Not so much because any of the camera's features are particularly great, but rather, because the camera is decent enough and would allow use of the 24-105 f/4 at its full field of view. I love my 16-45 f/4, and a 5d+24-105 would give me an equivalent FOV of 16-70 on my K10d. Add in the fact that the lens has IS, is as sharp as the 28-70 f/2.8, comes at a discount bundled as a kit lens, and you've got a mighty interesting package.

I've seen people complain about the "mere" 3.9fps and the fact that it uses the same "outdated" af module as the original 5d. But, if I cared about those things, I probably wouldn't be shooting Pentax. I just hope Pentax releases something amazing with the K30D so I'm not even tempted to switch. I absolutely *loathe* Canon's body ergonomics. The rear thumb wheel drives me crazy, and on top of that their zoom ring is backwards.

As for Nikon and Sony, the a900's high ISO performance is IMO worse than the K20D, and Nikon has frankly lost its mind with their pricing. Right now I think dual system setup with a couple of Canon zooms, and all primes with Pentax(paired with a K-m, maybe?) would be the best of both worlds.

12-19-2008, 11:36 AM   #8
Veteran Member

What interests me is the video capability of the 5D. The ability to shoot HD with a sensor that size and interchangable high quality glass is very tempting. Unfortunately it looks like the current implementation of video is somewhat klunky, and the form factor just isn't really made for it. But the concept is quite intriguing.

That is going to be a big area imho - hybrid cameras that can do both hi rez stills and HD video with interchangable lenses. Right now a good HD cam (like the XH-A1) shoots great 1080i video, but you're stuck with one lens, rather small sensor, and it takes crappy stills. For about $3K. If you happen to have Canon dLSR glass, the 5D has the potential to create amazing stills and amazing video for the same price.

Frankly if Pentax is really going to make "3 new slrs" in 2009, I'd like to see one be FF still, another be low end with SR and weather sealing, and the third be APS-C with a well thought out video implementation. But I don't think that they have the horses to pull the last one off. The thought of using a 31ltd or 77ltd for video though...that would be sweet.
12-19-2008, 12:24 PM   #9

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kirivon Quote
The camera is 2.7k body only, so saying it's 3k more than prosumer models is a stretch.
Amazon, who are usually pretty reliable as a gauge for prices, has the Mark II for $3,999. The 5D is around the price you listed....
12-19-2008, 12:36 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Scottie137 Quote
Amazon, who are usually pretty reliable as a gauge for prices, has the Mark II for $3,999. The 5D is around the price you listed....
I think those prices have to do with the fact that the 5DmkII hasn't really hit the distribution channels yet. Adorama, BH, etc have it listed at a lower price, but have none in stock.