Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2008, 03:22 AM   #16
Veteran Member

As far as I know, there's no inherent limit within XP regarding memory card size, Wombat. At least nothing that would impact the memory cards sizes available today. Instead, limits are more likely due to the card reader hardware and/or drivers. In my on case (XP/SP3), I've successfully used several different types of 2GB memory cards with my card reader, including CompactFlash (CF), Memory Stick Pro Duo, Micro SD, and standard SD cards.

Sadly (for me), my existing card reader won't handle anything above 2GB (locks up the computer with a 4GB SDHC card), which is why I'm finally ordering a new card reader this afternoon for the 4GB SDHC memory cards used with my K20D. While shopping, I searched for specific mentions of positive results with XP and SDHC cards in the card reader reviews and made my choice based on that.

Since I have a desktop, changing the card readers is just a matter of pulling out the old and popping in the new (a few screws and one USB connector). Most newer card readers use the existing Windows drivers, so there's often nothing to install.

stewart

12-21-2008, 04:01 AM   #17
Inactive Account

I have several 16Gb cards

And all are read with no issues on a 3 year old XP machine.

You need a new IT guy

The FAT32 format (which is used in these cards) has a maximum file size (per file) of 4Gb, let alone the total capacity (supports up to 32Gb, so got a while to go yet)
12-21-2008, 10:32 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Geez, don't scare me. My Win2K machine reads 4Gb cards just fine (using the SanDisk MicroMate reader that came with the cards). I never saw the need to upgraded to XP.
Again, by "machine" here, I'm really referring to the card reader and its firmware, not the computer or OS. Old *card readers* - which tend to be associated with old computers, but of course not necessarily - sometimes have a 512MB limitation. Symptom is that after copying the contents to your computer, you get a folder full of files that look normal in the folder listing, but only the first 512MB worth of files are actually readable. Which I discovered the hard way after downloading pictures to a computer and burning a CD at an Internet cafe in Venice and then discovering they were not readable. Luckily, I discovered this before erasing the card, but it did mean I went the better part of a day being *very* conservative about my shooting because I had very little space left.
12-24-2008, 01:50 PM   #19
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Well, guys, like denisv said, "why not just use the cable?" That's what I'm going to do. It works for me. I guess I just feel like I'm going in the backdoor doing that way.
Thanks a million for the help.
Irene Sophie