Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2022, 09:27 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Curious about AUTO and Green Mode in Pentax cameras.

I'm curious about what settings you can change for the AUTO or Green Mode in recent Pentax cameras.

For instance, my K-50 allows me to turn off the Highlight Correction & Shadow Correction (D-range settings) & even use AF.S or AF.C in AUTO mode. Obviously, I can't change aperture or shutter speed since it's automated.

On the other hand, the Green Mode in the K-3II is fully automated. It won't let you turn off D-Range settings & it forces you to use AF.A only, which can drive one nuts since the camera tries to AF for you automatically & it usually focuses on something that you're not even trying to focus on. I never use the K-3II in Green Mode. I typically have the K-3II set to M, Tav, or P mode.

What I find funny is that the AUTO/Green Mode in those 2 cameras doesn't even make sense. You'd figure that a camera like the K-50 would have the fully automated AUTO mode, while the K-3II would be able to let you change a few settings in Green Mode, since the photographer is probably a bit more advanced.

So yeah! Outside of the K-3II & K-50 (maybe even the K-3, K-30, & K-500 'cause I figure that they probably work the same), can you turn off the D-range settings & set your camera to use AF.S or AF.C when in AUTO or Green Mode? I'm curious if you can turn off the D-range settings & use AF.S or AF.C in AUTO/Green Mode for the K-5/5II/5IIs, K-S1/S2, K-70, KP, K-3III, & K-1/1II. Hmmm.....

06-22-2022, 10:42 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try this for help

Pentax Green Button Guide - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com
06-22-2022, 10:45 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I believe the point of the green mode on advanced cameras is to be able to reset all customization settings If you want to let someone else use the camera.
AKA Grandma mode. Or green as in inexperienced.
06-22-2022, 10:49 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by garywakeling Quote
Ah! I'm refiering to the control dial.

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
I believe the point of the green mode on advanced cameras is to be able to reset all customization settings If you want to let someone else use the camera.
I had thought about that, for when you want someone else to take a picture of you. But yeah. It's very green. Hahha!

06-22-2022, 11:13 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
IMO Auto/Green mode works pretty well overall. I used it often on my K50, and frequently with KS2's and even KP. I'll have one of my K70's out as a loaner a few times a year and more often than not just suggest to the user Auto or TAv if they're not familiar with Pentax. There's been a very few times I've used Green Mode on my K3III and K1 when things got particularly tricky.

What's a bit confusing is the AF mention. I don't ever recall my cameras picking a focus point all on their own, but then again I've always used back-button focus. Is that what happens if the shutter button serves focus too, and the camera is in auto?
06-22-2022, 11:23 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I see little point in choosing green mode over P-mode if you are used to the camera.

But if you FI have back button AF set in continous AF it can be hard to handle for someone else not used to advanced cameras. Then you just have to switch over to green mode to disable it.
06-22-2022, 11:28 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gatorguy Quote
What's a bit confusing is the AF mention. I don't ever recall my cameras picking a focus point all on their own, but then again I've always used back-button focus. Is that what happens if the shutter button serves focus too, and the camera is in auto?
Yes. At least in the K-3II, you don't even have to half press the shutter button or press the back AF button. It will literally focus on its own, since it's forced AF.A. Just move the camera around & it will start focusing randomly. This is only in Green Mode on the K-3II. It's almost 100% fully automated. The K-50 doesn't do that in its AUTO equivalent.

06-22-2022, 11:33 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
Yes. At least in the K-3II, you don't even have to half press the shutter button or press the back AF button. It will literally focus on its own, since it's forced AF.A. Just move the camera around & it will start focusing randomly. This is only in Green Mode on the K-3II. It's almost 100% fully automated. The K-50 doesn't do that in its AUTO equivalent.
I do not think that is normal. Sounds like you have a defect shutter button. AF-A only means thst is choose between AF-S or AF-C automatically, but you still have to half press shutter button to AF in green mode.

In green mode all customization options are switched off, so you can not use back button AF in green mode.

Last edited by Fogel70; 06-22-2022 at 11:59 AM.