Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2022, 10:38 PM   #31
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
what isos did you use? The k-7 image has more obvious noise than the k-5 lis.
100 iso.

09-02-2022, 10:11 AM   #32

Photos: Albums
Note there is a recent topic on sensor issues with the K7.
K-7: Weird vertical lines in areas of images - Page 2 - PentaxForums.com
Not sure where, maybe it was a snappiness review, but I seem to have read at several places that the K7 just doesn't have the same joy in daily use as the K5.

Personally, as much as I like old digital cameras, for me it stops when the iso sensitivity and reliability issues come into play.
(Not related to the K7, but anything of the K10D etc ranges with CCD sensors are therefore out of the question for me. I see great CCD shots in the forum here from those that really manage to get all out of that sensor, and great colors. But looking at what the average photographer managed in their daily snapshots as seen on old flickr uploads, there is so much noise in those CCD images once lighting is suboptimal, and focus is almost always off in photos of people. And then there's the risk of CCD rot)

For the older cameras, I personally like the 12 megapixel sensors in K-X/K-R, and 16 megapixels in the K5/K5IIs is also working great for me, as they have a pleasant ISO sensitivity / noise that can keep up with some way more modern cameras. The only thing that makes these cameras feel old is the workable-but-not-great AF, and that all in-camera corrections have to be turned off to get the buffers to clean quick enough.

Last edited by pimpim; 09-02-2022 at 10:18 AM.
09-02-2022, 01:25 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pimpim Quote
For the older cameras, I personally like the 12 megapixel sensors in K-X/K-R, and 16 megapixels in the K5/K5IIs is also working great for me, as they have a pleasant ISO sensitivity / noise that can keep up with some way more modern cameras. The only thing that makes these cameras feel old is the workable-but-not-great AF, and that all in-camera corrections have to be turned off to get the buffers to clean quick enough.
I tend to agree. I still have and still enjoy my K-5 IIs. I still also have my original K-5 both in perfect low-use condition, but now just use it as a "beater" camera. I also still have my old K20D, still useful for its very rich colors in Fall shots. I skipped over the K-7. Dynamic range was a big step up also, for superior all-around IQ with the K-5 and especially the K-5 IIs. I had my K-5 as my main body and later the K-5 IIs with the K-r as secondary lightweight alternate/backup. It did a fine job, hanging in well for IQ and for low light. I finally gave it to friends upon getting a great deal on the outgoing K-S2 as my lightweight model, with many upgrades. This one is exceptional too for its class.

The last few years I've been mainly shooting with the KP, and more recently also with the K-1 II for using my FF lenses. Yet I still like my K-5 IIs and the little K-S2, using them when their attributes are better for my needs. I passed on the K-3 series, as my K-5 IIs was doing it for me, and now having added the KP and K-1 II being very satisfied. With patience, the K-5 IIs is worth waiting for and available at good prices for what you get. The AF is a step up from the original K-5 as well.