Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
06-25-2022, 02:07 PM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by emtor Quote
I'm located in Sweden.
None to be found in Sweden, Finland, Denmark or Norway neither on ebay nor on other second hand sites nor in shops.
The rest of the European Union? -No K5iiS on ebay.
We have gotten spoiled here in the EU, no taxes, no custom fees, no paperwork and fast shipping.
Buying items from outside the EU has become less attractive.

United Kingdom? -Found one item but it takes forever to get it shipped and high tax.
US? Haven't checked but taxes are high.

Japan is the only place where these cameras are widely available.
I need the camera ASAP for time laps work and I would rather not put my k5iis with it's high shutter count through that risk.
Therefore I went for the cheap K-7 from -Finland.
Sorry, I didn’t read carefully enough & missed the fact that you’d already purchased the K-7. Nice low shutter count on that one, and I hope it comfortably suits your needs - Enjoy!

06-25-2022, 02:08 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hjortron Quote
...User's AF fine adjustment -10 ... + 10 may not be enough. My K7 with 20+k shutter count was already +10 and needed more. In debug mode activated by the program you get another menu page with settings and front/back focus adjustable in a much wider range. After fine tuning it for several days and with various lenses I left it on a value which was working best and turned debug mode off. User's AF fine adjustment is now 0, ready for possible fine tuning if needed.
That may be useful some day, thanks!
06-25-2022, 08:38 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I currently use a Pentax K-5iiS with a rather high shutter count (72.000).
I have a K-5 with 150,000 shutter count. So you may have a lot of life left in your K-5!
06-25-2022, 10:16 PM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
I have a K-5 with 150,000 shutter count. So you may have a lot of life left in your K-5!
At the factory a sample is tested and the average life for the K-5 shutter is supposed to be 100.000.
Some may break down sooner and some much later, but I'm not taking the risk of shooting timelapse vids with it.
A ten second timelapse with a frame rate of 24fps equals 240 actuations. For HDR with brackets of 5 shots the count gets up to 1200 actuations.
My K-5iis will reach 100.000 after 23 such sessions.
But you're quite right, the shutter may live twice as long as 100.000.

06-26-2022, 05:25 AM   #20
Pentaxian

I have a K3 so sold my K-7 a few months a ago and still regret it!!! So many happy memories and great photos with that camera. I love its color rendering and also the IR filer effect is much better than the K3. Yes, I know this is not 'real ' IR but close enough for me.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
06-26-2022, 08:07 AM - 1 Like   #21

I shoot Pentax K-7 as my main camera and it's very solid for my use case. As others have mentioned it's high ISO performance is not as good as on new cameras but still decent enough for me.
06-26-2022, 11:39 AM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobore Quote
Sorry, I didn’t read carefully enough & missed the fact that you’d already purchased the K-7. Nice low shutter count on that one, and I hope it comfortably suits your needs - Enjoy!
It will most likey suit my needs, and for a long time I hope.

06-26-2022, 10:23 PM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rpjallan Quote
The K-7 was my 8th Pentax. All previous ones other than the *istD were film cameras of course.

I would like to try some more timelapse. I have had a Neewer intervalometer for some time but not really used it a lot. Do you have any links to guides for HDR timelapse?

I find the biggest challenge is finding an interesting subject!

Here is a link to my YouTube channel where you can view a couple of my better ones:
Richard Allan - YouTube
Here's an old post of mine where I try the alarm clock HDR time lapse test.
I haven't done any shooting for a long time and had forgotten about stuff like shutter drag and aperture flicker.

HDR Timelapse test method - PentaxForums.com
06-27-2022, 05:34 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Thanks...
06-28-2022, 07:44 AM - 1 Like   #25
Pentaxian

The K-7 is a big step backwards from a K-5 in terms of image quality. The K-7's sensor has the worst image quality of any sensor used in a Pentax DSLR.

K-5s or K-5IIs should be quite plentiful on the used market. Even K-3s can be had for not too much.
06-28-2022, 01:33 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
hjortron? -Svensk?
Hälsningar från en norrbagge boende i Norrbotten.

There's a bit of extra sharpness in my K-5iiS, but the difference from my previous K-5 isn't noticeable unless I'm pixle peeping.

I bought the K-7 from Kameratori in Tampere, Finland.

https://kamerastore.fi/

Check it out,-loads of second hand camera stuff.
(Noted you did buy already , but for future use)
To avoid taxes on secondhand , one can add in Europe:
https://www.mpb.com/en-eu also French and German available
https://www.kamera-express.de/produkte/gebrauchte-foto/gebrauchte-alles also NL and BE variant

---------- Post added 06-28-22 at 01:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
The K-7 is a big step backwards from a K-5 in terms of image quality. The K-7's sensor has the worst image quality of any sensor used in a Pentax DSLR.

K-5s or K-5IIs should be quite plentiful on the used market. Even K-3s can be had for not too much.
Secondhand , my experience over last year:

K5 , K3 and older, even still produced K70 : yes frequent offers
K5II already less

KP, K5IIs and K3II hardly

(I went finally for a K70 as backup body to my K3II)
06-28-2022, 02:56 PM   #27

The quality of the k5 sensor is much better than the k7. Have you thought to get a k3?
06-28-2022, 08:04 PM - 1 Like   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Jonathan Mac Quote
The K-7's sensor has the worst image quality of any sensor used in a Pentax DSLR.
Really?!? I found it to be a massive step up from my *istD! I have won a number of competitions with images from my K-7 printed at A2 size...
07-01-2022, 08:43 PM   #29
Forum Member

Original Poster
The K-7 arrived yesterday.
It was interesting to see the difference in sharpness of the K-7 versus the K-5iiS.

@100% resolution.

resized to 25%.

RAW-files exported as JPG's with no sharpening added.

The K-5iiS produces added sharpness. No surprize there.

Would be strange if Pentax went to the effort of producing a camera without an AA-filter and you had to struggle to see the difference.
Adding a tiny amount of sharpening in post to the K-7 images would fix that.
Other than that the K-7 has the same buttons and knobs and the same feel as the K-5iiS,-after all they're both Pentax.
07-09-2022, 01:17 PM   #30
Pentaxian

What ISOs did you use? The K-7 image has more obvious noise than the K-5 Lis.