Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2008, 12:46 AM   #1
Forum Member

K100d on woot

Woot.com has a refurb k100d on sale for 239.99+shipping. Is that a decent deal?

12-18-2008, 01:09 AM   #2
Veteran Member

That is a decent deal.
12-18-2008, 07:00 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Btw, here's the link Woot Sellout
12-18-2008, 07:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Awesomeness!!! Cheaper than getting my K110D fixed AND i ge SR... I'm gonna have to think about this one.

12-18-2008, 07:54 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I'm still flabbergasted and amazed that I got my K100D Super + 18-55 totally new for $450 (3500 SEK) at a store clearance back in April. Deal of the century! That's what a (less featurefilled) Nikon D40 costs now!

Great camera. I actually like it better than the K200D.
12-18-2008, 08:02 AM   #6

It is so much bang for the buck it is almost ridiculous. But good for the customer!

I got my K100D for roughly 800 $ (6000 SEK) when I bought it. Back when it was new that is. I can in all honesty say that I do not in any way that I payed to much for the camera. It is still alive and kicking.
12-18-2008, 10:59 AM   #7

it's Refurbished
12-18-2008, 11:25 AM   #8
Forum Member

Hi everyone.

First on refurbished -- I bought lots of refurbished kit, and never regretted it. The PowerBook I just replaced was refurbished, home stereo receiver, my iPhone, laser printer, the list goes on and on. Seriously I'm not scared by refurbished, but some people are, which is great I guess -- more cheap kit for me!

Second -- I just made the leap into dSLR world by purchasing said body on woot. I've been watching the market for a long time, undecided between Pentax, Nikon, Canon...I figured when I purchased (far in the future...but always window shopping!) I'd go all out, so I've looked at the K20D, but there were some things that I'm kind of hoping come along in the K30D...

...anyway when this great deal on a body showed up on Woot I couldn't pass it up. I imagine there will be a flood of new registrations, as many other woot-ers in the same boat as me go looking for information on their new camera.

In that light, could somebody be as kind as to point new K100d owners towards some good threads with info on getting started....tips, tricks, recommended settings, and the like.

Thanks!

12-18-2008, 12:07 PM   #9
Veteran Member

refurbished pretty much means used and given to manufacturer to make new again. Never have I ever gotten a refurbished item that didn't look brand new...
12-18-2008, 12:43 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've had poor luck with refurbished things in the past, not that I've bought a lot of such things, given how long it can take for 'dissuaded' to wear off with me, but usually it means, 'Wasn't made right in the first place,' 'Got sent back defective after someone got frustrated and slapped it around,' then 'Hopefully-fixed for sale at a discount.'

(Mind you, that's not to say I know anything about *Pentax* doing refurbs: in fact, I wouldn't be too surprised if there's a whole lot of those 16-50 2.8's that kept turning up with bad assembly or something out there in a couple of years or once another model comes out. )

Also, I should add, though, 239 dollars? A couple months ago, I'd have done it, despite reservations, anyway. Sometimes I just have a little more confidence in good old 'used.' It's like with cars, a lemon won't get a hundred miles, something with 100K on it may just be a real survivor.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 12-18-2008 at 12:56 PM.
12-18-2008, 01:13 PM   #11

Saaby. Check out Pentax K100D Review: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review as a starter/along with the manual. It took me about 3 times through the manual to understand all the neat features. You might try starting out in the AutoPict mode and autofocus mode. Learn about the Fn button - try using white balance in Auto - ie AWB to start, try setting the drive mode in Continuous mode (looks like three squares overlaid), and ISO at 200. You may want to start out taking JPGs and then advance to shooting RAW and learn about processing the shots later. As you progress, get a feel for P, Tv, Av, and Manual mode. I've had mine since Mar 2007 and like it a lot.

One mistake I made early on with the K100 - I misunderstood that the red light that flashes in the focus when you press the shutter release halfway was just the location setting for the focus - normally set in the center - the green hexagon is the actual confirmation that you are "in focus". I'm going to guess many of us just set it to center and then turn the red indicator off in the Menu/Custom Settings page - called "Superimpose AF Area" and set it off.

Get some good NiCd rechargeables. Good luck with it.

Ken.
12-18-2008, 01:43 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Price is decent, but I personally, rather buy a good used one here, in forum marketplace. I tried to buy refurbished items a few times and never had luck with them. Got refurbished istD* and had to return it because it was taking pictures just fine, but wasn't writing images to the card