Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2022, 08:55 PM   #31
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Pentax develops and sells cameras and lenses for profit.
Dreamers just dream.
I don't think so at all (i.e. "just a dream").
Sigma DSLRs and their DSLMs prove there is a market.
With Pentax I believe the market would be larger due to all the vintage lenses which can still be used.
I played with the idea to buy a Sigma SD1 Merrill but having to buy all primes as Sigma only and being limited to those made it absolete.

My dream would be the size of the *ist-D, small LCD just for control, no LV, no picturecontrol
but of course Av, Tv, M and P and 2 USER-Settings. No Green AUTO, no SCN. No flash ... maybe even no hotshoe it this helps to downsize size and weight. I think being able to just use lenses with Aperture-Ring is too limiting. I want to be able to use my DA-limiteds as well as my D-FA100/2,8 macro.

So I am not interested in vintage looks but a downsized masterpiece.
2 versions: APS-C and Fullframe

07-16-2022, 07:24 AM   #32
Pentaxian

I just wish film was cheaper and there was a local lab that didn't charge me 10 bucks per roll just to develop. I want a truly small SLR full frame camera from pentax, but I'd still want modern features (except maybe video).
07-16-2022, 08:01 AM   #33
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If they ever made a 1970's 35mm SLR that used SD cards instead of film at reasonable cost I'm in.
However I stopped holding my breath for something like this years ago.

Chris
08-07-2022, 05:44 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
With Pentax I believe the market would be larger due to all the vintage lenses which can still be used.
I played with the idea to buy a Sigma SD1 Merrill but having to buy all primes as Sigma only and being limited to those made it absolete.

My dream would be the size of the *ist-D, small LCD just for control, no LV, no picturecontrol
but of course Av, Tv, M and P and 2 USER-Settings. No Green AUTO, no SCN. No flash ... maybe even no hotshoe it this helps to downsize size and weight. I think being able to just use lenses with Aperture-Ring is too limiting. I want to be able to use my DA-limiteds as well as my D-FA100/2,8 macro.

What should your dream Pentax camera cost?

I would not take Sigma cameras seriously. DP1 was fun. Yes, they bought Foveon, but the concept did not excel. SD1 pricing exploded to ridiculous amounts with presentation and presentation was delayed for years. I owned many of the Sigma DSLRs and compacts - nice concept, lame duck. Sigma needs cameras to promote the sensor. Prove me wrong, but I think they keep burning money until we see the Foveon breakthrough…
I buy Pentax and use only Pentax glass. I don’t feel limited. Sigma offers a much wider range of glass, but nobody wants to rely on Sigma lenses alone - or is it the camera :-)

08-07-2022, 08:28 AM   #35
Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote

I think we are talking about two different things here.

A true legacy-like camera body would have the aperture control to particular values by aperture ring only and body would control aperture only in response to shutter speed / ISO / light. That was not “limiting” when I purchased my “Super Program” in 1983. Explicit ‘Av’ / ‘Sv’ / ‘M’ and of course ‘P’ modes is a completely modern concept. I’m not sure which one has more support, but that division is probably the biggest obstacle to Pentax’s actually doing the concept.
08-07-2022, 07:19 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think Pentax already tried this with the K2000 (K-m). It was a sub $500 kit with a 10mp CCD from 2008 and I got one as my first interchangeable lens digital. It was a nice camera overall and very capable. Actually what a K70 with 18-55 kit sells for new is vastly better and cheaper really if you adjust for inflation.

08-08-2022, 02:41 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
We've discussed this subject before. I think the issue is that as you leave features off, you cut out potential buyers for a camera. Many people have the impression that you leave off things like auto focus, scene modes, and video and voila! You have a very cheap camera. But nearly all of the sensors out there are video capable, even if you don't enable it and the processing engine that Pentax uses has video capability built into it. Software stuff is pretty cheap to implement too since it already exists for other cameras.

I think Pentax had talked about a manual version of the K-3 III, but even there, I don't think it would have been a digital K1000 and it would have been a specialty camera.