Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2022, 03:57 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Well, you get full warranty that’s about it. It was manufactured in 2015.

Yes, this exact battery went into production in 2015, but it was als assembled, finished, and packaged in 2015 unless someone used old housings in recent time which sounds unlikely. Nobody is lying here, but honest and open communication is something different.

Considering Pentax pricing here, you want something newer. Whether they sell 2021 to you or not, I don’t know.
Are you sure it went into production in 2015? We have already seen examples going back to at least 2010. The supplier stated the batteries first went into production in 2015 and the date didn't apply to the batch. That is certainly untrue.

07-02-2022, 03:59 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Yes, this exact battery went into production in 2015
Wrong: It went "first into production" in 2009 and that's exactly what this Ricohdealer in Australia meant!

Every Ricoh Pentax dealer knows by know that the date written on the D-Li90 (and D-Li109) is the date it was manuctured which this Australian dealer denied.
So imo he lied deliberatly. Read the original text again, it is absolutly clear:
QuoteOriginally posted by reynb Quote
I immediately sent a text to the dealer stating the number, and that a almost 7 year old battery was unacceptable.

He replied quickly and stated:
That is not ''Build"-date, that is the date batteries first went into production. They have only been in stock in our warehouse for 3 weeks.

The D-LI90 was introduced on the market in 2009 with the K-7 and not in 2015 which was when the K-3II was introduced,
prior we had the K5/II/IIs and K3

My earliest D-LI90 I have here is from 2010 and still working alright (70%).

Last edited by photogem; 07-02-2022 at 04:11 AM.
07-02-2022, 04:06 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Wrong: It went "first into production" in 2010 and that's exactly what this Ricohdealer in Australia meant!

Every Ricoh Pentax dealer knows by know that the date written on the D-Li109 is the date it was manuctured which this Australian dealer denied.
So imo he lied deliberatly. Read the original text again, it is absolutly clear:

The D-LI109 was introduced on the market in 2010 with the K-r and not in 2015 which was when the K-S2 was introduced,
prior we had the K30 (2012, the K50, K-S1 and K500)

My earliest D-LI109 I have here is from 2010 and still working alright (70%).
Just to be clear we aren't talking about the D-Li109 but the D-Li90. Who knows why two such confusingly similar names were chosen?
The thread title doesn't help. A D-Li190 must be some strange hybrid
07-02-2022, 04:14 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
Just to be clear we aren't talking about the D-Li109 but the D-Li90. Who knows why two such confusingly similar names were chosen?
The thread title doesn't help. A D-Li190 must be some strange hybrid
Corrected, thanks!

Usually I don't get their names mixed up, and yet, you are quite right, a better/more sensible name would have been useful.
Similar the new charger D-BC177. It should have been named D-BC90USB

07-02-2022, 06:33 AM   #20
Pentaxian

I have several batteries ranging from 2011 (used K-01) to something much more recent which came with my K-3 III.

Usually they come with a partial charge like 50-60% which keeps degradation to a minimum. Storing them at 100% for extended periods is not ideal. I see very little difference in performance across them all, though the 2011 one might be slightly less good from a combination of use and age rather than age alone.

Third party batteries in my experience have a tendency to suffer more in storage.

I wouldn’t hesitate on a new OEM battery that is several years old.
07-02-2022, 07:17 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jslifoaw Quote
I have several batteries ranging from 2011 (used K-01) to something much more recent which came with my K-3 III.

Usually they come with a partial charge like 50-60% which keeps degradation to a minimum. Storing them at 100% for extended periods is not ideal. I see very little difference in performance across them all, though the 2011 one might be slightly less good from a combination of use and age rather than age alone.

Third party batteries in my experience have a tendency to suffer more in storage.

Unless you yourself store them, you have no way of knowing how ‘third party’ batteries tolerate storage, since they don’t have a ‘built date’.
I have personally had a good experience with all batteries.
They typically arrive with about a 20% charge, and last me for a long time,
although I am not a heavy user and do not keep exact stats.
07-02-2022, 07:57 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Unless you yourself store them, you have no way of knowing how ‘third party’ batteries tolerate storage, since they don’t have a ‘built date’.
I have personally had a good experience with all batteries.
They typically arrive with about a 20% charge, and last me for a long time,
although I am not a heavy user and do not keep exact stats.
Of course all our experiences are anecdotal, but I have a drawer full of batteries of varying chemistries and form factors that inform my own assessment.

The oldest batteries are Canon NB-1Ls from my S200 which is now 20 years old. The OEM battery can still power the camera up while 2 newer, ostensibly higher capacity, 3rd party batteries performed comparably back in the early 2000s for perhaps a year or two; after that, you'd see low battery warnings a few shots after charging them. They haven't functioned properly in 15 years while the OEM battery appears to be degraded but relatively functional.

I have RCR-V3s and rechargeable CR2s from just slightly after that (mid 2000s). The CR2s are 100% dead and have been for about 5-10 years, while the RCR-V3s self discharge rapidly (though they successfully power up my K100D and *ist D).

My oldest Eneloops are now approaching 15 years old and reliably power my AA DSLRs. Before then I went through a variety of other NiMH brands with varying success (as many people know, Pentax DSLRs are a bit picky about the choice of AA batteries); what they all have in common now is that their voltages have fallen enough to be essentially non-functional (<1V using a multimeter). Some are leaking.

I have a couple of D-LI90 3rd party batteries that accompanied the used K-01. They appear to be OK but I have not rigorously tested them because I have enough OEM ones to rotate through.

So while there's a decent chance that 3rd party batteries may be indiscernible from OEM batteries in terms of performance, I personally trust top brand or OEM batteries in terms of longevity and reliability (and not having to research, test, and/or gamble).

07-02-2022, 08:11 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Of course all our experiences are anecdotal, but I have a drawer full of batteries of varying chemistries and form factors that inform my own assessment.

The oldest batteries are Canon NB-1Ls from my S200 which is now 20 years old. The OEM battery can still power the camera up while 2 newer, ostensibly higher capacity, 3rd party batteries performed comparably back in the early 2000s for perhaps a year or two; after that, you'd see low battery warnings a few shots after charging them. They haven't functioned properly in 15 years while the OEM battery appears to be degraded but relatively functional.

I have RCR-V3s and rechargeable CR2s from just slightly after that (mid 2000s). The CR2s are 100% dead and have been for about 5-10 years, while the RCR-V3s self discharge rapidly (though they successfully power up my K100D and *ist D).

My oldest Eneloops are now approaching 15 years old and reliably power my AA DSLRs. Before then I went through a variety of other NiMH brands with varying success (as many people know, Pentax DSLRs are a bit picky about the choice of AA batteries); what they all have in common now is that their voltages have fallen enough to be essentially non-functional (<1V using a multimeter). Some are leaking.

I have a couple of D-LI90 3rd party batteries that accompanied the used K-01. They appear to be OK but I have not rigorously tested them because I have enough OEM ones to rotate through.

So while there's a decent chance that 3rd party batteries may be indiscernible from OEM batteries in terms of performance, I personally trust top brand or OEM batteries in terms of longevity and reliability (and not having to research, test, and/or gamble).
I typically toss old batteries when they leak or swell.

At one time I used Duracell and Energizer AA cells to run my K-30. Now I use Eneloops, but I also use Watson and various non-rechargables. This was important to me, because it means I could run into a store in an ‘emergency’. Several rechargeables were inadequate for the K-30 even when new, so I use them with the flash, which is less demanding. I trust exclusively what ever I can get.

I tossed my old Canon and Canon-clones when I tossed the Rebels that they powered.
07-02-2022, 08:30 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I typically toss old batteries when they leak or swell.

At one time I used Duracell and Energizer AA cells to run my K-30. Now I use Eneloops, but I also use Watson and various non-rechargables. This was important to me, because it means I could run into a store in an ‘emergency’. Several rechargeables were inadequate for the K-30 even when new, so I use them with the flash, which is less demanding. I trust exclusively what ever I can get.

I tossed my old Canon and Canon-clones when I tossed the Rebels that they powered.
The single use CR-V3 or Lithium AAs are usually reliable - I took an *ist DS to Africa (incl Mount Kilimanjaro) in 2005 with the Panasonic CR-V3s that came with the camera and ran out of space before running out of power (a 1GB SD card was almost $100). My friend did a Pacific Ocean sailing trip in 2007 that lasted a few weeks and never changed the Energizer Lithium AAs out of his K100D. They also have great shelf life. I wish there was a similar solution for D-LI90 cameras like the AA holder that some D-LI109 cameras can use.

Rechargeables don't give me the same confidence but on a spectrum, I'd definitely exhaust the 3rd party batteries first before falling back onto the Eneloops and OEMs. Unfortunately, the feeling isn't very good when you have to prematurely swap out a battery in the middle of shooting!
07-02-2022, 12:06 PM   #25
Pentaxian

Unfortunately, the feeling isn't very good when you have to prematurely swap out a battery in the middle of shooting!
I don’t shoot much in burst mode - I typically think a lot before taking a single shot,
so changing battery before shooting doesn’t bother me at all.
I got my first 35mm cameras at a time when I got zero warning that a battery was low.
Until the several times when I had to go to a store to purchase a battery to take a shot,
I didn’t even carry a spare battery in my bag.
My “Super Program” ‘ate batteries like candy’’,
so the twelve years when it was my primary camera were
when I became accustomed to having several batteries in my bag,
of having as many batteries as rolls of film. When I went digital,
I stopped carrying film, and only changed the type of batteries in my bag.

Last edited by reh321; 07-02-2022 at 12:16 PM.
07-02-2022, 02:19 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If I pay the full price for a brand new orig. Pentax battery, I want it to be of recent manufacture and not 7 years old.
One being 7 years old should be offered NOS = New Old Stock.
07-05-2022, 07:47 AM   #27

Sounds like you (and other Australians) aren't getting the newest stock. Can you order online from other countries? Maybe you'd get some newer stock, and less BS.
07-05-2022, 09:12 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I also got a brand new old stock battery from the Australian distributor. I considered complaining, but as the battery seems to work fine and I've never had a problem with Pentax batteries (going all the way back to my K7), I decided to just not worry about it. The battery will probably outlast me!
07-05-2022, 01:23 PM   #29
Veteran Member

I just buy the ones with the largest mah i can find 2800mAh is the highest I have found and I have 14yo batteries still working they are about 1100mah from memory. as long as they work and they don't run completely flat who cares if they run totally flat they loose their memory.
07-05-2022, 01:35 PM   #30
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kombivan Quote
I just buy the ones with the largest mah i can find 2800mAh is the highest I have found and I have 14yo batteries still working they are about 1100mah from memory. as long as they work and they don't run completely flat who cares if they run totally flat they loose their memory.
The issue is also swelling and/or leaking.
I inspect mine at least weekly, so I’m not concerned.