Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2008, 01:07 PM   #1

K20D 3 year warranty

One of my friends who shoots with a Pentax K100D asked me about the free 3 year warranty. He is planning to upgrade.

So is it for a new purchase from any store / online or just from the Pentax web store?

Thanks
Subho

12-18-2008, 01:36 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
I believe it has to be a US Authorized outlet, brick-and-mortar or online. Plenty to choose from. You have to send in proof of purchase.

The lowest-cost online prices come from Canada, I bet that will not fly.
12-18-2008, 01:41 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by kibipod Quote
One of my friends who shoots with a Pentax K100D asked me about the free 3 year warranty. He is planning to upgrade.

So is it for a new purchase from any store / online or just from the Pentax web store?

Thanks
Subho
I bought mine from adorama and I contacted pentax and had to send them proof of purchase along with serial number and they are processing it as we speak. As long as it is an authorized dealer it is honored.
12-18-2008, 06:18 PM   #4

What Suzu said, is exactly what Pentax told me when I called Monday.
They said there should be a card in the box - if not, call in, and provide proof as stated above, and they will send a card.

Word to the wise - this is only valid with US Pentax models, from an authorized Pentax dealer, so make sure to look on the pentax site at Pentax Where-to-buy link and make sure your chosen (r)etailer is authorized.

Adorama, for example, you can find by entering their zip code in the left portion, selecting DSLR cameras, and then searching - others might show up there, too. Actually, just noticed they are (2) icons below Best Buy on the right half - missed that on Monday! The right side has the major online retailers, as well. If your chosen (r)etailer is not on the right side list, check on their website for a contact address, and run their zip code.

Be careful who you deal with - some are known to import cheaper grey-market versions, which will NOT be covered. Check resellerratings.com, or ask here, but the reputable places, like adorama, B&H, J&R, etc.. will most certainly have eligible versions.

Now, the question *I* have, is if you buy the KIT, or lens+body on the same purchase, does that warranty extension only cover the K20D body? Or both the lens *AND* the body?

T

12-18-2008, 09:02 PM   #5

Original Poster
useful information

getting useful information here. thanks to everyone. i am copying these to my friend.

i checked pentax imaging site and the stores listed there. there is one us1 photo selling the k20d body for $639. the store does not have a good rating though. i wonder how these stores are listed on pentax site. they pay money to pentax??

also, apparantly homedepot is selling k20d
12-19-2008, 04:47 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Sharkonwheels Quote
What Suzu said, is exactly what Pentax told me when I called Monday.
They said there should be a card in the box - if not, call in, and provide proof as stated above, and they will send a card.

Word to the wise - this is only valid with US Pentax models, from an authorized Pentax dealer, so make sure to look on the pentax site at Pentax Where-to-buy link and make sure your chosen (r)etailer is authorized.

Adorama, for example, you can find by entering their zip code in the left portion, selecting DSLR cameras, and then searching - others might show up there, too. Actually, just noticed they are (2) icons below Best Buy on the right half - missed that on Monday! The right side has the major online retailers, as well. If your chosen (r)etailer is not on the right side list, check on their website for a contact address, and run their zip code.

Be careful who you deal with - some are known to import cheaper grey-market versions, which will NOT be covered. Check resellerratings.com, or ask here, but the reputable places, like adorama, B&H, J&R, etc.. will most certainly have eligible versions.

Now, the question *I* have, is if you buy the KIT, or lens+body on the same purchase, does that warranty extension only cover the K20D body? Or both the lens *AND* the body?

T
Good question! Let me know if find out anything. They only asked me for the serial number on camera, so I'm not sure.
12-19-2008, 07:11 PM   #7
Site Supporter

I called Pentax, as well. My camera - which came from Amazon directly - is indeed covered and I need to fax my invoice containing my home address to a number provide. Once that is received, I will then be sent card, which - I suppose - I fill out and return for three years of a care-free life.

The remarkable thing about the phone call was that - after a couple of minutes navigating a menu - I was talking to a real human (in North Carolina).

Anyway, we'll see what happens.

Jer
12-19-2008, 08:32 PM   #8

Sailor - I agree - it was a VERY short wait, and the young lady on the phone was VERY pleasant, and wasn't in an overly pushy "hurried" mode.

Nice for a change.

T

12-20-2008, 10:03 AM   #9

You can also fax it in. Just fax to 919-501-7575 attn: Pentax IMaging Tech support, send a copy of your receipt and ask for them to send the extended warranty card. I got mine in a day. (of course I live in Golden where they are located). Then you just register it online.
12-21-2008, 06:40 PM   #10
Forum Member

Well, that's so wrong. Why only US customers, doesn't make sense!!
12-21-2008, 07:36 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by dan aron Quote
Well, that's so wrong. Why only US customers, doesn't make sense!!
Just happens to be the promotion they have here in the US. US market Pentax cameras carry a 1-year warranty in the US as standard, as does UK variants in the UK. Canadian Pentax cameras, purchased in Canada, carry a standard 2 year warranty.

For example, in the UK, they have a rebate going on - GBP100 if I recall correctly?

Yeah, here it is displayed UK Rebate Link

Me? I'd rather have the US$150 equivalent rebate, purchase on my Amex to get a 2nd year of warranty, and have the K20D+Lens kit cost me US$550 instead of US$700.

Go to Pentax.com, find the link to your area, and see if there are any active promotions there.

T

Last edited by Sharkonwheels; 12-21-2008 at 07:46 PM.
02-22-2009, 06:39 PM   #12

This link at Walmart has a PDF with info on the free three year warranty:

http://i.walmart.com/i/rb/K20D_extwarrwobltn.pdf
02-22-2009, 10:52 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by stmba Quote
This link at Walmart has a PDF with info on the free three year warranty:

http://i.walmart.com/i/rb/K20D_extwarrwobltn.pdf
that link doesn't work. maybe just fax only