Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2008, 06:07 PM   #1

USB cable no longer connects camera to computer

Recently and without provocation my USB data cable has stopped working. I have a Pentax *ist DL and have been trying to transfer my pics to the computer. It used to work fine, and now suddenly it doesn't work at all. Nothing in device manager, no confirmation tone when I plug it in, doesn't appear in My Computer; nothing has worked! I've tried both PC and PC-F transfer modes to no avail.

If anyone has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate. I lost my SD reader a while ago, so will buy a new one, but I would still like to get these pics off my camera ASAP to create my HDR image of our Christmas tree.

Thanks all!

12-18-2008, 06:14 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bummer - I can think of 3 possibles: 1) Bad cable 2) Camera USB port quit working 3) Computer USB port quit working.

You might be able to check the camera and cable at your local camera store??? Or computer shop??? And, they might even have a new cable you could try. Good Luck!!

Oh.... or, you could even pick up a new card reader - they're pretty cheap.
12-18-2008, 07:10 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Could also be a software glitch - one of the devicwe drivers crashing or something like that. Have you by any chance tried rebooting?
12-18-2008, 07:34 PM   #4

Original Poster
I did try my Canon SD 870is which worked fine. I even tried putting the Pentax SD card in the Canon but the driver doesn't show the RAW files I'm trying to transfer.

I've even tried Ubuntu; the Canon works fine (but still doesn't show the RAWs) but the Pentax doesn't. My guess is either the cable or the camera, but nothing happened. I was literally using the camera and cable one minute, took some more pictures, came back, and the cable no longer worked.

12-18-2008, 09:10 PM   #5

some notebooks have different inbuilt card readers............may be you have one and it may solve the problem.

good luck.
12-19-2008, 01:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Have you checked the camera's batteries ?
Often the cause of USB suddenly not working where it was previously good.
Just a thought.

Remember too that not all usb ports are created equal.My compys front access ports are only usb 1.1 and the back mounted ports are usb 2.0
Camera/card reader has to be plugged in back.
Are you using the same port as before?
12-20-2008, 03:54 PM   #7
Forum Member

Try rebooting your system. It that does not work, plug into a different port if you have one.
12-20-2008, 06:20 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Friends K10D stopped down loading with usb. Finally I figured out the cable wasn't snapping completely into camera body. Looking at body usb port with lupe I could see the little internal part of the usb connector was not "centered". Very carefully adjusted it to center with a small flat head screw driver. Then usb cable aligned correctly when plugged in. Camera then down loaded perfectly. So check the body usb port. Cable must click all the way in to the body.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #13 WINNERS in P&S forum. Enter #14. Any brand camera. Enter now!