Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2022, 02:31 AM   #1

At a crossroads if I should repair and new lenses vs new body.

I've had a k500 for almost 10 years. Suffers from the solenoid issue. Just use aa Batts and burst shot to correct it.

Picture bug bit me hard again. Been out snapping shots and enjoying it again a lot.

Curious how far camera tech (especially low light performance) has come in cameras around a thousand bucks. I did some night shots with exposure times and I really liked that. Want to explore that more.

I'm still just using the kit lens so I'm not super invested in pentax as a platform. It's has about 4400 shots

My options

#1 send in camera to get the aperture issue fixed, buy a couple new lenses. Stick with my current body as it still takes a pretty good picture and new lenses will breath new life into it.

#2 new body. Original Sony alpha was my first. Considering jumping ship and going back to Sony.

I hardly ever take the camera out of manual mode and stick to raw format.

07-18-2022, 02:48 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by moth_baller Quote
I've had a k500 for almost 10 years.
I hardly ever take the camera out of manual mode and stick to raw format.
Given this, just get lenses with aperture rings to suit your requirements, make friends with the magic "green button" and carry on regardless

I'm not familiar with the K-500 directly, but looking at the specifications it would seem to be in a similar class to my K-5, so my further comments should be taken with that in mind.

QuoteQuote:
Curious how far camera tech (especially low light performance) has come in cameras around a thousand bucks. I did some night shots with exposure times and I really liked that. Want to explore that more.
The K-70 is well ahead of the K-5 as far as low light performance is concerned, but the KP, if you can find one, takes it to a whole new level. The K-3iii is a step again further, but out of your quoted budget.
An alternative would be to use faster lenses. Given your enthusiasm for Manual, a couple of fast old manual lenses might scratch your itch for low light work without breaking the bank
07-18-2022, 02:55 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The solenoid issue can be repaired fairly easily by anyone with decent soldering skills.
Have a look at these threads: Detection of aperture block/diaphragm-block failure/stuck solenoid K-30, K-50, K500 - PentaxForums.com
And: Manual solenoid replacement Pentax K30 / Discharge flash-condenser / Solenoid choice - PentaxForums.com

For $1,000, I'm guessing you'd have to buy secondhand. Nothing wrong with that. Several more modern Pentax bodies should serve you well, from the K-70 to the various K-3 bodies to the K-1 and K-1ii.
Can't help you on the Sony front, sorry.
07-18-2022, 03:18 AM   #4
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

@moth_baller

if you are ok with " experienced " equipment, I suggest you take a look at the options available in the forums' marketplace

I have had good luck dealing with other forum members when I purchase " experienced " equipment there

it can be sorted by country:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/?security...d+States&all=1

the forum has a very useful side by side comparison tool for cameras:

as an example:

K 500 vs K 5 II vs KP vs K 70

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-cameras-compared/?c1=Pentax%20K-5...=Pentax%20K-70

Last edited by aslyfox; 07-18-2022 at 03:23 AM.
07-18-2022, 06:06 AM   #5
Pentaxian

When you say you'd like a couple of new lenses, do you have something in mind? I guess the real question is, what kind of pictures do you like to take? Is it landscapes, portraits, flowers and nature, birds (I guess not with the kit lens!), etc?

If you stay with Pentax, you would see quite a lot of difference if you bought, say, a couple of DA LImited lenses for your K-50 (in which case you should repair the K500 or get it repaired). Or, a lens like the DA 16-85mm would add image quality and more versatility - won't be as good IQ wise as the Limiteds but if you are a zoom person you should probably have one of these...

Or, you could keep your K500 as it is and add a few manual lenses, as @kypfer mentioned... there's a lot of fun to be had there, and a lot of times a lot of bang for the buck as well... lenses like the SMC-M 50mm f/1.7 (super good, super cheap), the SMC 50mm f/1.4, the SMC 28mm f/3.5, the SMC-M 100mm f/2.8, and perhaps the SMC-M 20mm f4 (a bit pricier than the others), to start with, would be tons of fun to work with. Then there's the Takumars.... a whole 'nother rabbit hole, one I have managed to stay away from, at least for now
07-18-2022, 06:17 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The k-500 isn’t worth The cost of a professional repair, but diy or continued use via aperture ring lenses is a good option. The k-500 is a k-50 without weather sealing. Buying a used k-5 series or k-3 is as cheap as a pro repair and will be an upgrade albeit a small one. A KP or a k-70 offers a bigger upgrade. The KP is what I use most in Pentax apsc. I also own a Sony A7RIII (which even used is well outside the price range you have indicated particularly with lenses) but there are Sony apsc bodies and A mount that are cheaper as an option. Don’t rule out Nikon F Mount gear as another bargain option.

It really come down to what do you need to improve? If lower light photography is the aim then moving to a k-1 or k-1ii or a k-70 or KP is a possible path. What lenses do you have today? A word of warning - the k-70 can suffer from the same failure as the k-50 but it doesn’t seem the failure is as frequently mentioned and thus appears more reliable. In Sony, apsc isn’t going to gain much in terms of low light performance. The Sony full frame bodies available to you in the price range are clunky and come with compromises that you have to evaluate (poor EVF, focusing issues, battery life, poor ergonomics etc.) Nikon brings a lot of budget choices due to the move away from F mount, but in general the gear lacks IBIS and the apsc lens line up is weaker than Pentax. Low light performance of some bodies will exceed the k-500 but not the KP or k-70. Full Frame performance of bodies in your price range are likely to be an improvement over the k-70 but inferior to the k-1 or k-1ii. It’s not an easy decision to make.
07-18-2022, 06:27 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I would get a couple of lenses with aperture rings and use those. I would also get a used K-3 -- it is a much higher end camera and you should be able to find a copy for somewhere between 350 and 400 dollars. It should have plenty of life left in it and plenty of room for you to grow into it.

07-18-2022, 07:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The lenses that will work with your aperture block-failed-camera (with green button metering) can be autofocus, such as F and FA series lenses. There are even more manual focus lenses that will work, but just wanted to make sure you're aware that it's any lens with an aperture ring, whether AF or MF, zoom or prime.

The K-70 is an awful lot of camera for the money (currently available new), will be much better in terms of low light (and other respects), and will use your current lens just fine. As mentioned, it has the possibility to suffer from aperture block failure as well, but seemingly less likelihood.

If you are either a very savvy or a rather patient shopper, and/or if you are able to stretch your budget just 10-20 %, there are decent chances you could find a K1 within your price range (there is one in the marketplace right now for $999). The K1 will really be an outstanding low light performer. You would still want full frame lenses, since your APSC kit lens will either vignette heavily or work fine in crop mode on K1 (which means losing many of the advantages of the camera). Used full frame lenses need not be expensive however (those same F and FA lenses I already mentioned), and there's a possibility you could still get it all in or around your budget.

Last edited by wadge22; 07-18-2022 at 07:35 AM.
07-18-2022, 07:39 AM   #9
Pentaxian

If you're not afraid doing a repair on your own it wouldn't be too difficult with the k500. I'd say it's a low skill repair overall and the solenoid replacement itself will cost about 10-50 dollars depending if you want to get the green or white solenoid. Even if you do decide to get a new camera I would say it's worth repairing the k500 to have as a backup body, or one you're not afraid to use in more sketchy situations.

That generation of camera is very capable. I'd say spending 50 bucks on stuff to repair it then blowing 1000 on lenses would net you better results overall than going with a different body entirely.
07-18-2022, 08:03 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wouldn't touch any of the K-XX camera's like the K-70 due to the same aperture solenoid issues that exist with the K-500. Why bother with that?

I'd get a K-5 II or IIs for a few hundred bucks and move on OR go looking for a KP for the kind of money the OP is talking about. Otherwise I'd move to a mirrorless system.
07-18-2022, 08:15 AM - 1 Like   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I wouldn't touch any of the K-XX camera's like the K-70 due to the same aperture solenoid issues that exist with the K-500. Why bother with that?

I'd get a K-5 II or IIs for a few hundred bucks and move on OR go looking for a KP for the kind of money the OP is talking about. Otherwise I'd move to a mirrorless system.
Moving to the K-5 series wouldn't be much of an upgrade (kind of a downgrade in some ways honestly). Frankly he already owns this camera and it's not a difficult repair. I don't see the point in "upgrading" if he doesn't have the glass to support it.
07-18-2022, 08:34 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd move to the K-5 II for the changed controls + LCD display on the top deck. KP for improved menus, nice size/weight package, and clear improvement in high-ISO image quality and image quality in general as well as improved autofocus.

Understood that the K-500 and K-5's are going to be nigh on identical in the image quality department.
07-18-2022, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've got a K-5IIs and a KP; both wonderful cameras, both bought from forum members. As far as low light capability, to minimize image noise I usually don't use the K-5IIs above ISO1600 and the KP above ISO6400. But, I've seen KP images taken at ISO10,000 that are amazingly good. Topaz DeNoise AI can work wonders on image noise; I don't own it but it's highly recommended.

When looking at used cameras, bear in mind that the K-5 series has an expected shutter life of 100,000 clicks. The K-3 series is rated at 200,000 clicks. So, a used K-3 with 100,00 clicks on it is only middle-aged.

You don't mention what kit lens you have. My K10D came with the original version of the Pentax 18-55mm zoom. Its image quality was very disappointing. I upgraded to a Sigma 17-70mm which was WAY better. If I could afford it I'd get the Pentax DA 16-85mm.

Another vote for the Pentax-M 50mm f/1.7. Terrific lens IQ-wise and very inexpensive. Everyone should own one IMO. If you do macro I can also vouch for the Pentax-F 100mm f/2.8 Macro. Even sharper than the 50/1.7! Not sure what they go for these days, but well within your budget when bought with another lens.

I've heard it said that when you upgrade your camera system, get the best lens(s) you can afford. A $5 lens on a $1000 camera will give you $5 images.

I can't comment on Sony gear, never used it. But there are plenty of affordable, high quality options in the Pentax world.
07-18-2022, 09:06 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
I'd move to the K-5 II for the changed controls + LCD display on the top deck. KP for improved menus, nice size/weight package, and clear improvement in high-ISO image quality and image quality in general as well as improved autofocus.

Understood that the K-500 and K-5's are going to be nigh on identical in the image quality department.
Going to the K-5 will also result in a substantially worse experience if you ever intend on using live view. Borderline unusable outside of tripod work.

The menus in the k-50 line of cameras is actually pretty good.
07-18-2022, 09:16 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Going to the K-5 will also result in a substantially worse experience if you ever intend on using live view. Borderline unusable outside of tripod work.
Agreed. KP is much better.