Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2008, 08:45 PM   #1

K20D users...

So now it has been a few months with your new baby, tell me is the K20D a huge step up from the K10D? I found a great deal on the K20D and I am sooooo wanting one. I haven't had luck selling my K10D on here and hubby says there is no huge difference. So is he right? I have read so much that the IQ is better, is that possible? I do like the new version of the kit lens, but I can pick that up separately. Oh... I wish I could afford to have both. but I guess it doesn't matter if I don't sell my K10D. But what the hell... make me envious..

12-18-2008, 09:15 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, if you search here and the other main forum, you'll find many posts extolling the virtues of the K20D over the K10D. To summarize my feelings, which I arrived at back in the spring after having the K20D for about 2 -3 weeks:

- much better high ISO performance (less noise), easily a stop or more
- AF-C with SDM lenses seems quicker and accurate (to be fair, I never directly compared to my K10D, but the K20D just works)
- more resolution (always handy)
- more controls
- live view is occasionally useful
- hot pixel mapping (finally!)
- ability to adjust AF on up to 20 different lenses (though I haven't used it yet)
- dust mapping
- Does everything the K10D does, and does it better (sometimes much better)
- the only thing the K10D has is the abilty to turn off long exposure NR, which you can't do on the K20D. Doesn't bother me, but it bugs some others.

The K10D is a fine camera. However, the K20D just does everything better. I've yet to read where anyone that moved from the K10D to the K20D regretted it. I paid a premium (bought when it first came out) and I still think it was a bargain. At today's price of $699, it's an absolute steal!
12-18-2008, 09:19 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by madisonphotogrl Quote
So now it has been a few months with your new baby, tell me is the K20D a huge step up from the K10D? I found a great deal on the K20D and I am sooooo wanting one. I haven't had luck selling my K10D on here and hubby says there is no huge difference. So is he right? I have read so much that the IQ is better, is that possible? I do like the new version of the kit lens, but I can pick that up separately. Oh... I wish I could afford to have both. but I guess it doesn't matter if I don't sell my K10D. But what the hell... make me envious..

Ok, I'll pitch in. The quality difference is debatable. Depends on who you talk to. For me it is a good step up. If you do large prints such as 13 x 19, then it can be noticeable. The lower noise at higher iso is welcome.

Here is a link to a table top macro shot that I took that made it into Pentax Photo Gallery. I used the 50-200 with a raynox adapter for the shot.

PENTAX Photo Gallery

I also have the K10D and still use it for panos. But the K20D is the goto camera body.
The price is right now. I bought mine when it was about 900. And if I could afford it I would buy another one.

Layoff the Usinger liver sausage for a couple months and you will have saved enough to buy one.
12-18-2008, 09:49 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Also bought the K20D when it first came out. Find many + for it.
1. larger lcd. Amazed when I picked K10D back up how much I missed it. Something felt wrong about the back of the camera.
2. Better high iso. Also greater iso range. Now I have 100 w/o giving up 3200! Before it took DS & K10D to get this range (not even counting 3200-6400).
3. Adjustable af for each lens. Haven't needed it yet (unlike K10D). Great to have.
4. Greater in camera processing (including split screen).
5. Higher resolution. It is noticeable. Especially in larger prints. Also makes images more 3D looking (even at 8x12 size).
6. More accurate metering. Better with older lenses too.
7. Live view. Very useful for tripod shots & big lenses or macro.
8. Can now save shot on digital preview.
9. Can actually shoot in B&W w/o converting. Liveview can be used to see in B&W! Great way to learn.
10. Rear hand grip on body more comfortable on K20D. K10D isn't comfortable for me without grip. K20D is without grip.
11. Higher jpeg quality setting ****. Also Tiff conversion.
12. Burst 21 fps mode.
13. Quieter mirror/shutter system.
14. Bigger turnkeys on batt/card doors.

Basically the K20D does every thing a little bit better! EXCEPT that *&%$#@** auto darkframe noise reduction. It threatens to make the K20D a paper weight for long time exposures, firework, astronomy, and lightning.
shots. There are a few work arounds but they are kludges. If not for that the K10D would be long gone and repalced by 2nd K20D.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #13 WINNERS in P&S forum. Enter #14. Any brand camera. Enter now!

12-18-2008, 10:09 PM   #5

Original Poster
hmmm
"Layoff the Usinger liver sausage" ok.. What is that? I can understand a cheese reference but this I don't.

HMMMMM. very compelling arguments. I probably shouldn't share this but.. check this out..
Buy a Pentax K20D ($742), Get a Free Optio A40 Digital Camera ($178.10) plus Free Crossover Bag ($39.95) - *************** Forums

only if I could sell my K10D. Anyone feel sorry enough for me yet? i know I am deprived to have a wonderful DSLR.. but I can get things free.
12-19-2008, 08:34 AM   #6

Original Poster
Since no one really seems interested in my K10D now, maybe i will do what the hubby suggests, wait until the next generation and build my lenses. I think I am going to grab the FA 50 1.4. I have the 40mm 2.8 and love that so... I have heard great things about the 50, and I don't have one. It will make a great christmas gift to myself.
12-19-2008, 08:48 AM   #7
m8o
Veteran Member

My plan is to get the K20D (or its successor) for my primary AF body, and convert the K10D into my MF rig w/a KatzEye focus screen and old K or A lens attached (I don't really enjoy K lenses and enjoy using an A lens so much more). I have recently become more aware of how the K10D has front/back focus issues with certain AF lenses at certain times. I've read so many times lenses that were 'problematic' on the K10D are not so on the K20D. Plus I understand that on the K20D you can program in multiple lens adjustment profiles, and call them back when you put on the lens. Yes, a gotta have body for me, but I won't be selling the K10D either.

p.s. the AF 50/1.4 being one of those lenses I can't seem to get good pictures from @ f/1.4 using AF, you might want to consider getting the Pentax-A 50/1.4. I have some photos almost done converting from RAW to Jpg that I want to make a thread on, titled "my weekend with one of the world's top 10 slr lenses", but here's an example of why until then: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/43482-pentax-5...wide-open.html

12-19-2008, 08:50 AM   #8

Original Poster
how do you like your FA 50 1.4? I just feel that the k20D is all I need. but my husband reminded me I said that about the K10D too.
12-19-2008, 09:02 AM   #9
m8o
Veteran Member

It's a great lens and it's unlikely I'll ever sell it; best modern-day AF bargan for the buck. But like I said, I've found it pretty much unusable in AF @ 1.4 whereas the manual, I do not. Maybe it is what Miserere said in my thread, but I dunno, how could I get the photos w/the A lens that good 1st try and never come close to that with the AF? Stopped down from f/2 the FA is a real winner.
12-19-2008, 09:09 AM   #10

[QUOTE=madisonphotogrl;423433]hmmm
"Layoff the Usinger liver sausage" ok.. What is that? I can understand a cheese reference but this I don't.

Maybe a little to obscure. Sorry, I just thought that everybody in Wisconsin was familiar with Usinger's Famous Sausage, Wisconsin Gift Boxes, Corporate Gifts and Holiday mailorder meats & cheese gifts

Anyway, just because the K20D is a better camera than the K10D does not mean that the K10D is a bad camera and you can never go wrong with building a good glass inventory. The image does start on that end of the combination. Without good glass it won't really matter what sensor/camera body you are using.
12-19-2008, 09:14 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I think that's the thing about your K10d not selling right now, Madison... the K20d's just so cheap now, it's hard for people not to want to pay the little bit more.

But, don't lose heart: if things hadn't come together just right for me, I would have loved a deal on a K10 like that, (Ordinarily, going that far would be a bit of a reach as compared to like an *ist or something, which would have been more my price bracket: having just been working on getting my film darkroom set up, I was only just beginning to save for the best DSLR that I could meet on its way down in price. )

I saw a pretty plausible theory here that once the stock is reduced, the new- K20 deals will be going away or being less of a steal: if that happens, probably there'll be a few more buyers for K10s, at least. Of course, *you* could end up paying more for said K20, but at least you'd get the trade-in. (Have you seen what kind of offer Keh might give you, btw? They rarely seemed to have a lot of K10s, last I looked. )

In my personal scheme, I was expecting to be waiting maybe a couple of years before a k20 upgrade, unless my little enterprise started amounting to much more than the occasional sale of a print to get a lens or restock: I can't imagine I'm really the only one in such a position. I think right now there's just a certain number of people breaking into their piggy banks for K20s.
12-19-2008, 09:22 AM   #12

Original Poster
Dnorth.. AHH ok now I get it. no worries.
ok.. so if the FA 50 1.4 is best stopped to 2.0, doesn't it take away from the "speed" of the lens?
Investing in glass is a good thing, and less expensive. I see a lot of K20 users hanging on to the K10D.

Maybe i will try KEH, but doubt they will give me much, given the economy now.
12-19-2008, 09:43 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Most fast lenses are best if you get off the wide stop, Madison, nature of the beast unless they're specifically made otherwise. You still get a lot of the advantages of speed: brighter viewing, snappier focus, the option for really-narrow depth of field: (which, quite often, goes well with them being just a hair soft: portraits. Generally you want to stay off actually *shooting* wide-open unless there's just no other way to get the shot, and that goes for a lot of lenses, even many slower ones.

But, yeah, that 50 is a great deal. I had one ordered before the camera was even on the way. (And I didn't even expect to be getting the kit lens: this is nice, cause my streak of luck didn't quite extend to getting a good copy first try, anyway. It seems assembly defects like that are pretty rare, though, from what people say.)

Since the fast 85 is far and away my most-used lens in film, that was a no-brainer, (And wow, but isn't Pentax digital just a candy store if you love those) but it's a good deal for anyone. My replacement should arrive today, actually.

There's a pretty handy MTF program line in the K20, and I guess probably the K10: it biases the Program mode and green-button metering in manual toward using the apertures with the best image quality for any given lens it can recognize. Tends to put me at least pretty close to where I want to be, so far.

Last edited by Ratmagiclady; 12-19-2008 at 09:56 AM.
12-19-2008, 09:49 AM   #14

Original Poster
where did you order from? how did you now there was a defect? what body did you end up with?
12-19-2008, 10:20 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by madisonphotogrl Quote
how do you like your FA 50 1.4? I just feel that the k20D is all I need. but my husband reminded me I said that about the K10D too.
You have to be very careful about your choice of words in a relationship.