Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2007, 09:24 PM   #1

My Fellow Pentaxians! I have been a SPY!

...and now that I have your attention!

Just officially joined the forum after lurking for the longest time both here and that "other forum".

I'm an amateur photographer at best, but have always enjoyed using Pentaxes through the years. In fact, the first camera I owned was a K1000 in high school! After that, I've owned various Canons (ie- Rebel G, AE-1), Minoltas, and even a medium format camera once. However, I've always made sure that I've had a Pentax somewhere in there, whether it be a manual camera, an MZ-10, and an SF1N.

I went shopping around for a new Pentax, and although I've never been pleased with P&S Digital Cameras, the digital bug was getting to me.

Surprisingly, I didn't buy the K10 or the K100... Instead, I bought the K110. It's got to be one of the most under-rated cameras on the market today, as I've never had a problem in the past dealing with shutter rates rather than shake reduction. Again, personal preference, but that's just me. Other than the lack of SD, I'm surprised that as far as a camera goes, this one doesn't sell better! I mean, it's a wonderful setup, and far more ergonomic that most in it's price range!

I was also very pleased that my collection of lenses over the years, many of them older manual lenses, would work with this one. First lens I put on it wasn't the kit lens, but rather the 50mm 1.7 I had in my case!

So enough about the cameras, you already know about them... onward with what this camera can do in the short time I've owned it! (of course picture quality has been reduced, images not as sharp as they really are, blah blah blah you know the drill)

03-14-2007, 09:49 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi FM and welcome. Nice shots especially the last three. The third one should be on your wall!

NaCl(thanks for sharing)H2O
03-14-2007, 09:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi FM! Whereabouts in Ontario are you?

The 110D is just as good a camera as the K100D without the shake reduction and the extra weight! Glad to see you're enjoying the camera and I hope you have a good time in here!

BTW - Great shots!
03-15-2007, 04:30 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks! I'm in Oshawa, but my job has me going everywhere.

I'm in Windsor this week, Brandon, Manitoba next week, Calgary later this month, etc

03-15-2007, 05:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Welcome aboard. Your shots are very interesting and look forward to your participation here.
03-15-2007, 07:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Sweet pictures there and can't wait to see some more on your adventures to other places (hopefully you are considering trekking with you camera in-bag on your job related stops). Welcome and hopefully you find this forum as enjoyable as I have in the short short time I've been here.

ps. the K110 is an awesome camera, I loved my ist Dl which is pretty darned close to the same thing but the K110 is better but I happily upgraded to the K10D and will either purchase the K110 or K100 as a spare body in the coming months.
03-15-2007, 08:27 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FireMate Quote
Thanks! I'm in Oshawa, but my job has me going everywhere.

I'm in Windsor this week, Brandon, Manitoba next week, Calgary later this month, etc
That travelling I hope guarantees some time with the camera I hope
03-15-2007, 05:23 PM   #8

Original Poster
awwww thanks everyone!

I will bring my camera whenever I can wherever I can. I took some nice shots of the mountains recently whilst in Vancouver!

On the other forum, as well as in a PM on here, someone asked about my flash usage in some of those shots. As a quick run down, if and when I use a flash... I use an old reliable Mecablitz 30 BCT 4 Flash from god knows what decade, and I aim the flash up at the ceiling for bounce. I then manually set up the flash for the intensity based on what settings I'm using on the camera, put a red filter on the lens for the black and white shots for contrast, and away I go!

The Camera's flash white balence seems to work damn well with the colour temperature of this flash, esp. when "bounced". I've been more than pleased with the colour reproduction of it. Now, again, due to processing and resizing, these aren't the best quality photos to be showing (also, I'm on my laptop and all of my main photos are at home on my main computer).

But... Here's an example of one of the shots with the old flash:

Now, bouncing this particular flash, and using a close up filter works well also:

In both outdoor and indoor settings, this old trusty flash works well, and I do start to wonder what would happen if I bought one of the new P-TTL flashes, and whether or not I'd like them, when I've been so used to manually setting things up:

Thanks again for reading!

Last edited by FireMate; 03-15-2007 at 05:45 PM.
03-16-2007, 05:47 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Looks like the K110 is working out for you, both sets of pictures are really nice. By the way, you have the cutest dog! (except for mine of course). Thanks for sharing your pictures with us, looking forward to seeing more.
03-16-2007, 10:55 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Hey FireMate! Great photos! Those portraits of your friend are very lovely!

Haha I see you visited Henry's I used to go there quite a bit. (Until my LBA drained the last bit of my piggybank.)
03-16-2007, 06:07 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I noticed that too - Henry's My gosh, that's a pricey ME Super!!
03-17-2007, 08:13 AM   #12
Veteran Member

The portrait shots are great, particularly the black and white shots.
03-17-2007, 10:40 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
I noticed that too - Henry's My gosh, that's a pricey ME Super!!
Yeah... about that...

For those reading, keep in mind that they're in Canadian Dollars, if that makes a difference...

The next thing, is that there can be some very VERY good prices at henry's, expecially at their outlet "clearance" centre in Toronto. I picked up a 28 mm 2.8 lens that had a dent where the filter threading was, reduced to $8... the lens works beautifully, and is actually the one that took that overpriced Pentax ME shot (-;

So, not all prices are bad!

Also, I've had great experiences in the past where a used camera, no matter how old, has been cleaned up and taken care of by Henry's. I had an issue once with a used one 4 months after purchasing, and their warranty fixed the issue with no hassle.

So, in that regard, it's better than getting a camera for cheap at Cash Converters I guess (-;
03-19-2007, 09:54 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FireMate Quote
Yeah... about that...

For those reading, keep in mind that they're in Canadian Dollars, if that makes a difference...

The next thing, is that there can be some very VERY good prices at henry's, expecially at their outlet "clearance" centre in Toronto. I picked up a 28 mm 2.8 lens that had a dent where the filter threading was, reduced to $8... the lens works beautifully, and is actually the one that took that overpriced Pentax ME shot (-;

So, not all prices are bad!

Also, I've had great experiences in the past where a used camera, no matter how old, has been cleaned up and taken care of by Henry's. I had an issue once with a used one 4 months after purchasing, and their warranty fixed the issue with no hassle.

So, in that regard, it's better than getting a camera for cheap at Cash Converters I guess (-;
Haha yea the Outlet Centre pwns. I haven't been back in a while though. Still broke from my Vivitar 28-90. I noticed a LOT of pawn shops in and around the Henry's Main store and Outlet Centre, do those places have good prices?
03-22-2007, 07:53 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K110d

Welcome to Pentax FireMate. I have the K110D as well and love it... Feel free to grab my K110D logo from my signature...

Pentax since 1976!!!!

"Shake Reduction? We dont need no stinkin' Shake Reduction!"
(paraphrased from the movie "Sierra Madre")