Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-01-2022, 03:35 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K10D erratic shutter speeds

Hello,

My aging and trusty K10D developed a problem with its shutter speed wheel. Or more accurately, it developed a problem with setting the shutter speed regardless of which (front or back) wheel I use.

The symtom is fairly simple ... whenever I turn the dial the shutter speed changes in an unpredicably manner. All sorts of things happen: the speed changes to a new value, or it changes to a new value but flips back, or it changes to a new value but all of a sudden it flips to 8 sec or so. The only constant to this behaviour is that I am unable to select a shutter speed faster that 1/10 or so. Rotating clockwise or anti-clockwise does not seem to have an influence. I am fairly sure that the mechanics of the wheels are not at fault. As I change the wheel function, the newly assigned function works as expected.

Using the camera in X mode with (studio) flash works like a charm. The same goes for P-mode and for Av mode. No problems with those modes. Using Tv mode and M mode is not an option any more.

My gut feeling tells me that the camera is beyound repair. Or at least beyound repair with a reasonable cost. Nevertheless, a forum post. Perhaps a quick fix is possible.

Why not buy a more modern camera you may ask? Well, my main interest is analog photography using film and printing in the dark room. I use my digital camera mainly for test shoots. Hence my lack of desire to upgrade.

Has anyone experienced the same?

Looking forward to hearing from you,
Marcel

08-01-2022, 06:13 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

This might sound counter-intuitive, but I'd start by cleaning the contacts on the lens(es) and camera.
If the camera is intermittently mis-reading the lens aperture, it may well adjust the shutter speed to compensate … bit of a long shot, but worth a try
Another vague possibility might be some dust/fluff on the meter sensor (wherever that is), so a few good puffs with a "rocket blower" or similar in and around the mirror etc. may help.
Good luck
08-01-2022, 07:46 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree with doing the exercising of switches and dials first. If you haven’t done this after that yet, write down your chosen custom camera settings, do a full reset of the camera, test it before entering your previous custom settings, input those settings to the camera and test it again. Check your firmware version as well: if you have never upgraded your firmware before, do that carefully one version step at a time (for example: from version 1.00 to 1.10…). Hope this helps you too.
08-01-2022, 08:18 AM   #4

Like all things mechanical the edials are known to wear out and need adjustment, cleaning or repair. There are several threads on this, try using the search function for "edial repair" or "e-dial repair.

Cleaning may be a simple operation but the disassembly required to access the components may not be. This should be covered in detail in the threads on the subject.

08-02-2022, 02:08 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Try to make a factory reset of the camera. It may be a bad combination of settings or the camera has got stuck in some strange state.
Maybe a setting like "Auto EV compensation" can make the camera behave like this, especially if combined with spot metering.
08-02-2022, 02:25 AM   #6

Is by chance bracketing enabled?
08-02-2022, 03:26 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My *ist DS did that when it was only months old.

08-02-2022, 08:02 AM   #8

I'm sitting on a used k10d, with a dead battery, and no power cord to charge it. It's been inside a camera bag for about 10 years. It was working perfectly when I last used it. I just upgraded. So it's now in a drawer... want it?

---------- Post added 08-02-22 at 11:03 AM ----------

I'd send it to you for free, knowing someone could get some use of it.
08-02-2022, 03:43 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RoseyD Quote
I'm sitting on a used k10d, with a dead battery, and no power cord to charge it. It's been inside a camera bag for about 10 years. It was working perfectly when I last used it. I just upgraded. So it's now in a drawer... want it?

---------- Post added 08-02-22 at 11:03 AM ----------

I'd send it to you for free, knowing someone could get some use of it.
That looks to me to be a great offer. After sitting so long, its internal memory might well be lost, so once the battery is charged (which by now might be no good), the user will need to reset time/date/etc. at each change of batteries. Other than that, it will probably work fine.
08-02-2022, 05:50 PM   #10

Yes. But he already has the other k10d, so even if my battery doesn't hold a charge? His may work fine with it.

Anyway, it's a thought. Just a camera continuing to take up room in my apartment. I suspect never to get it going again now that I upgraded my system.

It might be a nice replacement... or if not that, a parts camera.

As an aside, I don't think I took more than 10k shots. And that's guessing high.
08-03-2022, 12:06 AM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you very much for all the advice given.

A friend offered me his K10. With a new-to-me fully functional K10 in my hands I bit the bullet and tried the isopropyl alcohol trick. And guess what ... it worked! I now have two working K10's.

Thank you for your advice, and a very big thank you to RoseyD for the offer. Highly appreciated, hopefully the camera will find its way to another home.

Last edited by MrclSchprs; 08-03-2022 at 12:10 AM. Reason: fixed a typo