Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2008, 10:52 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Only 14 continuous JPEGs on my K20D

Hello Everyone,

This is my first post here (except for the introduction). I have always shot Raw on my K20D, but today I did a test in JPEG mode to see what my contionuous shooting rate was. I got 3 frames per second, but for only 14 frames. I thought the K20D could do 38 or so.

Body and grip batteries were fresh and I made sure I was not shooting Raw + JPEG. I even tried it with 3 different cards - although that shouldn't be an issue as I believe the buffer is supposed to handle the 38 frames. I have also tried all of the various size and quality settings to the same end.

Any thoughts as to what setting I might have made that has limited the amount of frames I can get, or if it is a problem with my camera?

Thanks for any help.

12-19-2008, 11:06 AM   #2

Are you sure you're shooting JPEG?

According to the Official UK Pentax Site the K20D shoots 14 RAW (PEF) frames, not JPEG.

QuoteQuote:
Single-frame , Continuous Hi [approx. 3fps, until: 38 frames JPEG, 14 frames RAW (PEF), 16 frames RAW (DNG)], Continuous Lo [approx. 2.3fps , until: the memory card becomes full JPEG, 14 frames RAW (PEF), 16 frames RAW (DNG)]
I don't have a K20D so I can't test it.
12-19-2008, 11:36 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for responding.

Yes, I'm absolutely certain. I have even checked the images after shooting to verify that they are in fact JPEGs, and only JPEGs.

The info from the UK website that you psted shows 16 RAW DNG which is what I shoot, but as with the JPEGs, I only get 14... The plot thickens.

Last edited by Lazaruscomeout; 12-19-2008 at 11:38 AM. Reason: Added DNG comment
12-19-2008, 11:58 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well I can't solve the problem but just tested mine with a basic Sandisk 4Gb card and it shot 38 frames in jpeg only. So as long as the camera is set to continuous Hi in the function menu (turn the AF off). then it should do close to 38. It can vary if the scene has a lot of complexity (colour and extra data.)

12-19-2008, 12:29 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the test Peter. I have set the custom settings back to default, turned off af, and shot snow through the window (big storm here today). I am getting between 12 and 14 shots before the camera slows down to about 1 frame per second.

Very strange. The reason I decided to check the performance in the first place is that I had read something about increased frame rate when using the battery grip. Now I wish I had never checked (ignorance is bliss).
12-19-2008, 12:33 PM   #6
Veteran Member

an 8 bit nintendo has more processing power than our cameras

this is why our cameras are branded as bad for sports/high action, the camera just chokes when taking lots of photographs

OBVIOUSLY the question is as a good photographer do you need to take so many pictures at once? but thats a whole different issue.

i know that if i take consecutive shots with 1 second intervals i can go for quite some time.
12-19-2008, 12:41 PM   #7

Original Poster
I love my K20D and I have never really found it to be underpowered. I seldom shoot more than 3 or 4 frames in quick succession, but that's not the issue. I am concerned that there might be something wrong with my camera. Now that Peter has confirmed that he can get 38 frames, I'm even more worried that something is wrong.

12-19-2008, 12:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lazaruscomeout Quote
I love my K20D and I have never really found it to be underpowered. I seldom shoot more than 3 or 4 frames in quick succession, but that's not the issue. I am concerned that there might be something wrong with my camera. Now that Peter has confirmed that he can get 38 frames, I'm even more worried that something is wrong.
what brand of memory card do you have? how new is it?
12-19-2008, 12:53 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Is it possible it is shooting RAW + jpg with the RAW button not set to "Off" after shooting?
12-19-2008, 12:53 PM   #10

Original Poster
I have tested it with a 4GB ATP Promax class 6, 8GB Transcend class 6, and an 8GB Sandisk class 2. They have all performed the same.

The card should not be the issue though, as the buffer is supposed to handle 38 frames.
12-19-2008, 01:05 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Is it possible it is shooting RAW + jpg with the RAW button not set to "Off" after shooting?
That was one of the first things I checked. I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but I have set it to JPEG and have even verified that the images are only recorded as JPEG. Is it possinle that the K20D only shows the JPEG version of the shot in playback even if I have somehow set it to take RAW + JPEG?
12-19-2008, 01:13 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lazaruscomeout Quote
That was one of the first things I checked. I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but I have set it to JPEG and have even verified that the images are only recorded as JPEG. Is it possinle that the K20D only shows the JPEG version of the shot in playback even if I have somehow set it to take RAW + JPEG?
the camera will ALWAYS show you a jpeg when you hit preview (likewise the histogram is also derived form the jpeg, which means that your histogram is not true to the raw (usualy to your benefit, as you have more highlight headroom)

a better question is when you open the card/camera to download your images, what do you have saved on the card?
12-19-2008, 01:34 PM   #13

Original Poster
Every file on the card shows as a JPEG when I open it on my PC.

By the way. Thank you for responding so quickly. I hope I can be as helpful to others in the future.
12-19-2008, 01:54 PM   #14
Veteran Member

have you tried burst mode?
12-19-2008, 02:17 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Unload all the pictures from the card. Format it and then try again.