Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2007, 10:40 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Pentax K10D flash

Maybe I'm as thick as shit. But I'm still trying to work out how to get the inbuilt flash on my K10D to operate when I want it to..not when the camera thinks it should!

I have checked the manual, but find it a little confusing. Can I force the flash in the green mode? If so, how?

I also seem to have trouble in the other modes, unless the light is so poor that the camera thinks it should activate the flash of its own accord....!

Last edited by Darius4522; 03-14-2007 at 11:04 PM.
03-14-2007, 11:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hey Darius!

How was your trip? Hope it was good.

Here's the thing on the flash. It operates a little different than my K100, so I hope I'm interpreting this correctly. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong, I'm sure

If you use the green box mode, the camera will take control of the flash.

If you want to force the flash but still want the camera to control the picture output, use P mode.

In the P mode, press FN then press down on the multi-direction pad (flash options). You will see several selections for the flash. Choose the option with the lightning bolt only (I think it's the first option) by using left or right on the multi-direction pad, you can adjust the flash compensation with the thumbwheel, then press ok. Now when you want the flash to go off, pop the flash up. If you don't want the flash leave it down.

Hope that helps.
03-14-2007, 11:08 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Haven't done the trip yet, Alvin. I'm leaving in about 10 days and will be away for 3 weeks. I'll have a go at what you suggest. While I'm getting to know the K10D it's just a pain in the butt that I can't seem to force the flash in the green mode - nor, it seems, in the shutter or aperture priority modes. I suppose practice makes perfect..... :-) The obvious answer is to save some money can get a proper flash gun...but they aren't cheap. Incidentally, I just purchased a portable 120GB hard drive with an LCD viewing screen for the trip, and it's great. Saves buying dozens of cards *lol*.
03-14-2007, 11:12 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Alvin. You are correct - as always. P mode works fine. I just don't think it force flashes in the green mode.

03-14-2007, 11:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Darius4522 Quote
Haven't done the trip yet, Alvin. I'm leaving in about 10 days and will be away for 3 weeks. I'll have a go at what you suggest. While I'm getting to know the K10D it's just a pain in the butt that I can't seem to force the flash in the green mode - nor, it seems, in the shutter or aperture priority modes. I suppose practice makes perfect..... :-) The obvious answer is to save some money can get a proper flash gun...but they aren't cheap. Incidentally, I just purchased a portable 120GB hard drive with an LCD viewing screen for the trip, and it's great. Saves buying dozens of cards *lol*.
LOL - I was reading up on some other posts and just realized that you didn't do the trip. Silly me.

That 120GB hard drive - I think that's the best investment you could make for your trip. Make sure to get a second sd card, even a 1 GB will do it. While you are transferring the photos to the HD with the one card, you won't miss action while shooting with the "backup"
03-14-2007, 11:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks Alvin. You are correct - as always. P mode works fine. I just don't think it force flashes in the green mode.
From what I recall, Green mode is a fully automatic mode, where the camera is in full control when you squeeze the shutter. So the camera will make the decision for you if it thinks the situation is too dark. You can't really tell it not to pop up the flash when it wants to.
03-14-2007, 11:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

nor, it seems, in the shutter or aperture priority modes.
Of course you can. Green mode is the only one where you cannot control the flash.

In any mode other than the Green mode:
Flip up the flash = flash on
Flip down the flash = flash off

Just that simple.
03-14-2007, 11:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
From what I recall, Green mode is a fully automatic mode, where the camera is in full control when you squeeze the shutter. So the camera will make the decision for you if it thinks the situation is too dark. You can't really tell it not to pop up the flash when it wants to.
K10D does not have auto pop-up flash. So even with Green mode, you still have to pop up the flash manually. But in Green mode, popping up the flash does not mean that it will be fired. It will be in "Auto Flash" mode (only present in Green mode), and the camera will fire the flash if it thinks it is needed.

03-14-2007, 11:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nosnoop Quote
K10D does not have auto pop-up flash. So even with Green mode, you still have to pop up the flash manually. But in Green mode, popping up the flash does not mean that it will be fired. It will be in "Auto Flash" mode (only present in Green mode), and the camera will fire the flash if it thinks it is needed.
Thanks for clarifying the both details (this and previous post), nosnoop greatly appreciated!

My K100D reacts differently - the pop-up is so annoying in AutoPict mode (K100D's "green" mode). At least you can force the flash to manual in AutoPict.
03-14-2007, 11:44 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I'm taking four 1GB and one 2GB cards, Alvin. It's all I can afford.

The portable hardrive works both ways, so I will use the four 1GB cards for shooting, save all the stuff on the hard drive, but transfer the very best shots from the hard drive to the spare 2GB card - that way I can back up the very special and essential stuff on a 2GB card as well as keeping all the shots (good and average) on the HD.
03-15-2007, 12:00 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I'm taking four 1GB and one 2GB cards, Alvin. It's all I can afford.

The portable hardrive works both ways, so I will use the four 1GB cards for shooting, save all the stuff on the hard drive, but transfer the very best shots from the hard drive to the spare 2GB card - that way I can back up the very special and essential stuff on a 2GB card as well as keeping all the shots (good and average) on the HD.
That's awesome! You're going to have a blast over there!

Was in one of the other threads talking about your 70-300 APO. Arpe and I were thinking the same thing - is 300mm good enough for cricket, and 500 feet? I was thinking teleconverter, but I don't know much about them to make a suggestion.
03-15-2007, 03:05 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
The 300mm is fine for local club cricket, which is watched by no more than about 100 or so people! And the ovals are smaller than Test grounds. 300mm is barely sufficient for Test and one day international matches, especially if one is stick in the stands about 50 mtres from the actual playing surface. But even with the APO, a tripod and shooting raw on burst, I actually get quite good results. Though I constantly have to edit because a 1gig card fills up pretty quickly when you are shooting RAW in bursts of about 5 frames per ball! But it seems to work OK.