Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2022, 08:05 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Pentax K-3 II GPS Data

I was just looking at the GPS data on a photo I took a while ago (in Adobe Bridge) & was just wondering how to use it. Is there even a simple way (emphasise simple) to even show the location on a map?

How do you (or even do you bother at all) to use the GPS info in your photos?

08-06-2022, 08:16 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rpjallan Quote
I don't bother. All my photos are taken in known locations, and photos saved to albums with a description of the event, so I know where the photos were taken. I could see it being useful for wildlife/landscape photographers that are hiking through the middle of nowhere that want a record of the location for future trips.
08-06-2022, 08:40 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rpjallan Quote
I was just looking at the GPS data on a photo I took a while ago (in Adobe Bridge) & was just wondering how to use it. Is there even a simple way (emphasise simple) to even show the location on a map?

If it records standard latitude and longitude coordinates you can cooy them and put them into a gps enabled mapping solution.

Copy and paste this into Google maps including the parentheses:

(35.1434798, -80.6423806)

That will show the location of a local nature preserve in my town.

I don’t know if that’s the kind of data available but if it is that should help.
08-06-2022, 10:24 PM   #4
PDL
Pentaxian

Really? Copy?

WIndows photos tool show file info - it brings up a map.
Capture One GPS - click on it, launches Google Maps.
Used to work in the map function of in Lightroom - I have 6.14 which does not work anymore since Google broke their own interface.
Exiftoolgui - works sort of.
Geosetter - works if you choose open maps - sort of.

08-06-2022, 11:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

There is also a webpage; just drag a picture from windows explorer into the frame.

whereis.silverpeaks.de

Simple enough?

Last edited by Snafu711; 08-06-2022 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Adding text
08-07-2022, 03:24 AM   #6

I always leave my K3ii's GPS active because I find it so useful. What I have learnt is that it still consumes a bit of battery even when the camera is switched off. This is easily overcome by removing the battery when the camera isn't being used for a few days. Plenty of appropriate battery cases are available from Amazon.

I find it really useful to get GPS data plus the compass angle the camera was being pointed in for several reasons:
* If I see a great potential photo but the light, for example, is wrong, I just take the picture anyway and add a 'Location To Remember' tag when cataloguing the pictures I've taken.
* To find all photos I've taken within a bounded area shown on a map.

If you want to explore this for free, I'd suggest DigiKam which has just received a major upgrade. For everyday cataloguing I use ON1 Photo Raw 2022 which is great and, for me at least, more intuitive to use.
08-07-2022, 05:01 AM   #7
Forum Member

I find having the GPS data embedded in the DNG files extremely useful. Lightroom makes good use of this data (the various versions don't all use it the same way though), can show on a map where photos are taken and you can bring up the location in Google maps easily. I think it was a big step backwards to skip the GPS module in the K3-iii and certainly hope that the same will not apply to the K1-iii whenever that comes out (hopefully it will at some point!).

08-07-2022, 07:44 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You have to check your photo viewers, many can show a little map next to the foto, depending on settings.
DCU tool from pentax can show..
Windows photo requires you open the information panel (alt enter in some versions or the ’i’ in menu) and shows photo parameters like aperture and focal length and a map if gps data present in pictures.
Google picasa used to be quite effective for gps data....
Some viewers let you browse photo’s on map to select.
Pic2map is an example...

I use it for mainly two reasons :
Traveling: I admit I usually am able to locate a photo of the Eifel tower ( albeit there are some copies here and there that might confuse ...) but for intercontinental (for me out of Europe) or nature and wildlife traveling my pictures are my guide if I need backtracking my journey... I just need to take sufficient pictures, which isn’t a big burden ... I even admit sometimes to take a picture to have gps coordinates (to remember the Y-split of the trail where we weren't sure which one to take 🤔 )

Wildlife tracking: contributing to waarnemingen.be and obsidentify (app) gathering statically info on habitats of common and less common animals... obsidentify also allows identifying the species if you (think) found something exceptional....

For me, there should be a basic gps tracker in all camera’s (not necessarily an astrotracer with compass and 3axis motion detection) like in even the cheapest smartphone. On my K10D I used a Bluetooth gps tracker and post sync on computer via timestamps, working but cumbersome if you start messing with timezones or summertime on both devices.
So more fan of K3-II than K3-III for this aspect (clumsy via gps imagesync struggle, almost as basic as on my K10D, aah really?).

And let’s face it : my wife's little pocket travel zoom camera and our bridge camera have gps on board, so why not in a new 2000€ DSLR ...?
08-07-2022, 09:10 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you upload gps embedded photos to Flickr then a small map and location will display on the Flickr page. Flickr picks up the coordinates from the EXIF and uses a map from your device to name it. It’s kind of weird when I get some photos taken on an island half a mile from any structure and it assigns a name of a mobile home park, which apparently is the closest named spot on the map it is using. I’m not even sure if there still is a mobile home park of the name anymore, or where it is/was, but it picking it up from some map.
08-07-2022, 10:29 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Faststone (which I use as a picture viewer) has a Google maps button in the right-hand menu in full screen view that brings up the exact location.
08-07-2022, 06:28 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for all your replies. A few things to look at...
08-08-2022, 07:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I use Apple Aperture (discontinued years ago) which displays all my photos on a map. It still works fine, I'm surprised it broke on Lightroom?
09-16-2022, 10:08 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I have been playing around with this today & it seems wildly inaccurate! Any suggestions?
09-17-2022, 12:59 AM   #14
Pentaxian

I have tended towards not using the GPS. This is because I usually can readily recognise where the image was taken. More recently, I have used the facility because of visiting areas I know less well, but found the battery running down even when the camera is off. I've therefore turned the GPS off again and will only turn it on for particular excursions. No doubt I'll occasionally forget to hit the button at times. This is on K3 ii.
09-17-2022, 02:42 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
So it seems that Adobe Bridge is changing the GPS co-ordinates for some reason. If I get them straight from the file it's fine!