Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2022, 02:01 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer;5609457[B:
][/B]I'd imagine the 18-135mm would be a valid replacement, but I have no experience with either.
The DA 18-135mm was my primary lens for awhile - now I have a DA 20-40mm Ltd which I use more. although I still have the 18-135mm.
Either is a fine lens, and each has a motor which has been completely reliable.

08-11-2022, 02:42 PM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Like reh321, I’m 74 and I can’t carry the weight I used to, (mainly because of a scoliosis that has led to some disc collapse) but that’s what I’ve got a car for.

I have found that I’m able to carry my K-1 Pentax with a relatively heavy lens with greater ease since I discovered the sling strap. Mine is a Peak Design, which is a versatile system that allows a quick change between cameras, but there are many others. These straps distribute the weight better than a neck strap and the camera is always readily to hand. Having a couple of good backpacks and sling bags helps, if you’re prepared to put in the time to selectively choose the gear you take with you, to suit your purpose. A few difficult times with an overload of gear is a great teacher here.

Overall, though, it really comes down to what you want to photograph and how well you want the image to appear at what magnification. I have several smaller cameras (some fixed zoom, some interchangeable) that I bought just because I carried too much initially and thought I should go lighter. Now, I tend to print larger when I do, and invite others to look closer at my digital images, and I’ve found which lenses best suit my purposes, so I no longer carry too much gear with me, and I rarely find the need to take a smaller camera. Sometimes, I just take one lens, mounted on the camera.

Shifting brands won’t get you much by way of weight reduction, unless you choose a micro-four-thirds format camera (some of which are very good, I must say) but the best of those are getting up in size, now, too.
08-11-2022, 03:27 PM - 2 Likes   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rob Gravelotte Quote
Hello! I am a new member. I bought my first pentax, an mz50, and happily photographed my way through parts of Asia, at the end of the 90's. Then I bought a K200D and tried to get digital. I bought an17-70 sdm pentax lens which made beautiful pictures but the autofocus broke down, I had it repaired, broke down again, plus the K200D was very heavy and ate batteries like crazy. :-)

Any comment would be appreciated. Is there any body that has proved it's resilience that would not break the bank?
Sincerely, Rob.
K20d 715g
SMC DA 17-70 485g

HD DA 16-85 488g
SMC DA 18-135 405g
HD DA 18-50 158g
SMC DA 18-55 WR 230g
SMC DA L 18-55 (both versions) 200g

K-5/k-5ii/k-5iis/k-30/k-50/k-70/KP/K-S2 are all about the same weight as the k20d give or take a bit.

K-1/K-1 mk II K-3/k-3ii/k-3iii are all heavier

K-S1 is lighter.

Of these the k-5 series, particularly the k-5ii or iis seem like a good place to look. The grip is good and the camera has exceptional low light performance. 16mp is not a huge bump from the k-20d but it is a larger improvement in other ways.

On the lens front the 18-50 zoom is the lightest with a silent motor and weather resistant build - the 18-55 is only a bit more weight but a lower cost however it uses a noisy screwdrive focus system. That may or may not appeal.

So my final evaluation:

If you feel the k20d is far too heavy, you’re not going to like anything Pentax has made other than a few older bodies and smaller zooms or primes. If the k20d was only “too heavy” compared to the results - some newer gear might dazzle you a little more but the k20d/17-70 was a potent combo for it’s day.

If you’re still looking at interchangeable lenses you could give any of the mirrorless companies a look. M43 is the smallest sensor of those still commonly produced, some bodies are quite light and some lenses are as well. Iso performance is reduced but compared with the k20d you might not see a big drop in low light performance.

Apsc gear from Fuji and Sony and Canon might also fit the bill. I’m not familiar with any of these outside a passing familiarity with Sony apsc. The Pentax Q system seems dead these days but has a loyal following and some fine images can be made from these. They have small sensors and limited low light capabilities but they are fun. They have no viewfinder and rely solely on the rear lcd.

Lastly the fixed lens pocket enthusiast level gear like the Ricoh GR (apsc prime) or Sony RX100 (1” sensor zoom) Panasonic LX100ii (m43 zoom) might fit better than any interchangeable lens gear given your weight aversion.
08-11-2022, 04:06 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hello! I am a new member. I bought my first pentax, an mz50, and happily photographed my way through parts of Asia, at the end of the 90's. Then I bought a K200D and tried to get digital. I bought an17-70 sdm pentax lens which made beautiful pictures but the autofocus broke down, I had it repaired, broke down again, plus the K200D was very heavy and ate batteries like crazy. I became disappointed, and took refuge in compact camera's. Now I still have a whole bunch of wide range lenses, single focus lenses, remote controllers, a lot. But I do not know if it would be wise to sell the whole mess, and buy a canon, or find a body that would fit my KAF2 mount. I guess everything but my pentax lense still functions. And maybe it is not a good question for a pentax forum :-)

Any comment would be appreciated. Is there any body that has proved it's resilience that would not break the bank?
Sincerely, Rob.
Well, of course ANY DSLR will seem quite heavy, coming from your MZ-50. That is a basic difference between DSLR and 35mm film SLR cameras. Your designation of MZ instead of ZX indicates you are not from the US. So market prices will depend somewhat on your location. Where do you live? We have members located in countries around the globe. Regardless of that, there are some facts you should be aware of when comparing Pentax with Nikon or Canon, as well as others.

In your case, it may be possible to convert your Pentax 17-70mm to operate from your camera's screw-driven AF system. Any current Pentax DSLR still employs this function, as Pentax lenses using it are still being made, even very expensive ones. By contrast, the less expensive DSLR models from Nikon no longer can AF with their older screw-driven lenses. Nikon has a wider lens availability, but this is then cut when it comes to their less expensive DSLR models. Canon abandoned their screw-driven lenses long ago. Their lesser models also do not feature weather-resistant construction (WR) while all current Pentax DSLR models do. However, your DA 17-70mm lens does not have WR construction, to my knowledge, and thus having a WR camera body is still not functionally WR unless a WR lens is also being used. To get into a Nikon or Canon system having WR, you'd be shopping in the $1,000 + USD range for the camera body, and likewise another $1,000+ for the lens! Not so with Pentax. And the Pentax K-70 has a much better build quality, controls, and features than the less expensive Canon and Nikon models, as well as a far better viewfinder (which is another upgrade over your K200D).

Your K200D was remarkable in being the first-ever entery-level model from any brand to offer WR construction. But its eating batteries could mean it needs repair. Mine did the same years ago, so due to its age and the fact I also was shooting with its big brother, the K20D, I simply retired it. Since then, technology has moved on in a very good way.

If I were in your current position and expressed your above statement, I would take a look at what Pentax now has available. Their current entry-level model is the K-70. Pentax entry-level models coming after the K200D tend to sometimes develop the stuck solenoid issue blocking the aperture setting of the camera. From postings by our more technically-informed members, especially "photogem" who knows the solenoids involved in great detail, the more recent production of theK-70 employs a modified solenoid design which addresses this problem. So getting a K-70 from high-volume Pentax dealers should assure getting one with the updated solenoid.

Here in the US, a pre-packaged kit is available which includes the DA 18-135mm DC WR lens at a substantial savings for the lens, which is a very good one, and quite compact, especially for the large zoom range. It also has exceptionally fast, quiet, and accurate AF from its reliable DC motor. Greatly improved over the SDM design of your 17-70mm.

The K-70 is a greatly advanced design. For just one thing, its controls feature both front finger and rear thumb dials, so you have more efficient control of aperture and shutter speed, as well as access to the exclusive Pentax Hyper System. With this system, if you are shooting in fully-automated "P" mode (keep away from having your mode dial set to the green "auto" mode) and your camera has selected a shutter speed or aperture not to your liking, you can simply change either to your preference and the camera will instantly obey without your having to first change the mode dial to Av or Tv. Then a touch of the green button instantly restores full "P" operation.

The K-70 is far more capable of delivering clean results from higher ISO settings, giving you far more range for shutter speeds, even from lenses not having larger apertures. These are just some of its many advancements. You might then just keep your K200D as backup, since you'd not get much for selling it.

As to weight carrying, this has long been an issue for me, especially in the way I often go about my shooting activities. And I sympathize with reh321 and other 74 yea-olds. I have experience in being that age, since I will soon turn 84 years old. The way I have long dealt with camera-carrying is by using a holster-type camera case having both across-shoulder strap and belt loops. I never carry by using a strap around my neck. In this way, with the belt loops and the across-shoulders strap, I distribute the weight much better, with improved stability and preventing wobble. I have a moderate-sized medium holster case (actually several sizes) that will easily accommodate the camera and this very useful versatile, and fine-performing DA 18-135mm lens. This lens can even do good closeups.

I suggest going to the SLR Lens section of the forum to view the thread "DA 18-135mm WR- Show us What it can Do". Go to the last page first (most recent) to see images submitted by users and work backwards. Just go to the top and click on PentaxForums.com in red to bring up all sections, then scroll down to the SLR lens discussions.

Last edited by mikesbike; 08-11-2022 at 07:07 PM.
08-11-2022, 05:06 PM - 1 Like   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

17-70 isn’t capable of screw drive conversion. Only four lenses can be: DA* 16-50 sdm, 50-135 sdm, 200, 300. The 60-250 in theory should but no one seems to be able to make it work. All of these are lenses that have both systems of focus and work on bodies without sdm as screwdrive lenses. The hardware is there already - conversion is a matter of software changes.
08-11-2022, 06:36 PM - 3 Likes   #21
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Find yourself a second hand Pentax KP and enjoy your K mount lenses.
08-11-2022, 07:34 PM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Find yourself a second hand Pentax KP and enjoy your K mount lenses.
That’s my favorite of my Pentax bodies.

08-11-2022, 08:35 PM - 1 Like   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I still like the K200D very much. It is sensitive to batteries but not so with Energizer Lithium Ultra AA's.

But yes, it is quite large and heavy, also less with the Energizer Lithiums!

Concerning weight:

If you can find a used K-x with low shuttercount, this one is light enough, takes the same Energizers and all your lenses.
Otherwise the K-S1. Lighter with a DSLR will not be possible.

Light and good lenses are:
- DA50/1,8
- DA35/2,4
- SMC Pentax A50/2,8 macro (manual focusing, but a fantastic lens)
- DA40/2,8 limited
- DA40/2,8 XS (the lightest of all of them)
- DA18-50 (not the DA-L version!) as a zoom
- DA20-40limited (an expensive masterpiece)

Concerning the DA17-70SDM: It was SDM only, i.e. one couldn't convert it to screwdrive. The old SDM motor of those lenses often made problems and then only manual focusing is the solution.
08-12-2022, 12:22 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sell, do not even think about keeping it. You will not be happy. Get something from Fuji (great color profiles for out of camera JPEGs) or OM-D (Pen will be great if you want small and light).
08-12-2022, 04:58 AM - 1 Like   #25

Original Poster
Wow thank you all for replying!

Hello everybody!

I am astounded by the energy invested in all of the answers. Also the somewhat impatient ones I had totally not expected this. I shall give a little more background to my question.

The weight of the K200d is not a problem for a lack of muscles in my arms, but another thing I love to do is walk through mountains (Crete, often, and I carry ultralight stuff.Then, a 1,5+ kilo camera is really a lot. I used a canon powershot g7x mark ii for this, and it takes quite decent pictures. But I lost it last summer. I thought about replacing it with the same camera (there is no development in compact camera's) but I would like to have more control over the picture, and more zoom. I used my telephone for pictures on the track, and it is not too bad. And apart from that, I use maps, gps, and a lot of other useful apps on the phone. But I still miss a real camera. Also at home, which is Holland. I am a youngster, it seems, only 66.

So I again was faced with the question which leads to this thread. Obviously, by posting this on the forum, there is the hope that I can use my pentax stuff. Over time, I payed thousands of euro's (guilders) for it, and if I sell it, I might 10% of that. And I liked pentax. I photograph anything I fall visually in love with, landscape, people, nature. A phone is rather limited to work with. So I need zoom and macro and something in between..

I need time to digest all the feedback I graciously received here. It seems the DA 17-70mm lens is basically not usable which is a pity, I found it to be a fantastic lens, apart from the AF problems. I have tried a variety of battery's for my K200D, duracel, eneloop (not professional) and got an almost immediate 'low battery' signal. So this body seems not to be ideal. I see a K-70 is available, second hand, for 500 euro, or with SMC DA 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 ED AL DC WR for 880. And as I understand it, I can use my other lenses on this body? I still have a Tamron 28-300 1:3,5-6,3, Sigma 70-300 1:4-5,6, and a Tamron SP Di 90 mm 1:2,8 macro. From before I upgraded to the Pentax lens.

Other lenses available, second hand, are:
- HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 Limited DC WR €550
- SMC Pentax-DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited €350
- SMC Pentax-F 28mm F2.8 €175

Since I have no experience with these lenses, advice would be appreciated. Apart what I already have in the lens department, should I get me one of these?

Thank you for bearing with me this far, greetings from Holland.
08-12-2022, 05:17 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

Hello everybody!

I am astounded by the energy invested in all of the answers. Also the somewhat impatient ones I had totally not expected this. I shall give a little more background to my question.

The weight of the K200d is not a problem for a lack of muscles in my arms, but another thing I love to do is walk through mountains (Crete, often, and I carry ultralight stuff.Then, a 1,5+ kilo camera is really a lot. I used a canon powershot g7x mark ii for this, and it takes quite decent pictures. But I lost it last summer. I thought about replacing it with the same camera (there is no development in compact camera's) but I would like to have more control over the picture, and more zoom. I used my telephone for pictures on the track, and it is not too bad. And apart from that, I use maps, gps, and a lot of other useful apps on the phone. But I still miss a real camera. Also at home, which is Holland. I am a youngster, it seems, only 66.

So I again was faced with the question which leads to this thread. Obviously, by posting this on the forum, there is the hope that I can use my pentax stuff. Over time, I payed thousands of euro's (guilders) for it, and if I sell it, I might 10% of that. And I liked pentax. I photograph anything I fall visually in love with, landscape, people, nature. A phone is rather limited to work with. So I need zoom and macro and something in between..

I need time to digest all the feedback I graciously received here. It seems the DA 17-70mm lens is basically not usable which is a pity, I found it to be a fantastic lens, apart from the AF problems. I have tried a variety of battery's for my K200D, duracel, eneloop (not professional) and got an almost immediate 'low battery' signal. So this body seems not to be ideal. I see a K-70 is available, second hand, for 500 euro, or with SMC DA 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 ED AL DC WR for 880. And as I understand it, I can use my other lenses on this body? I still have a Tamron 28-300 1:3,5-6,3, Sigma 70-300 1:4-5,6, and a Tamron SP Di 90 mm 1:2,8 macro. From before I upgraded to the Pentax lens.

Other lenses available, second hand, are:
- HD Pentax-DA 20-40mm F2.8-4 Limited DC WR €550
- SMC Pentax-DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited €350
- SMC Pentax-F 28mm F2.8 €175

Since I have no experience with these lenses, advice would be appreciated. Apart what I already have in the lens department, should I get me one of these?

Thank you for bearing with me this far, greetings from Holland.
To answer your questions: any of your lenses usable on the K200 should also be usable on the K-70.
The DA18-135mm is a fine lens, although I must admit that a DA 20-40mm Ltd has recently replaced a DA 18-135mm as my most used lens.
However, I’m curious about the build date on the K-70;
there are questions about the durability of the early units.
08-12-2022, 05:24 AM - 1 Like   #27

Photos: Albums
I see you are looking on Marktplaats. The 18-135 didn't yet have the HD coating and on the K70 you will notice some chromatic abberation, if you're ok with cleaning that up in post it could work.
I'm a big fan of the 18-135 on a K5, the 18-135 has a very pleasant rendering, is nice in handling, and is very dependable.

You should keep in mind that early versions of the K70 did still suffer from the Pentax solenoid disaster. The ad you mention includes an off-camera flash that isn't made anymore, if you end up buying it and don't want the flash system get in touch with me hehe.

Based on what you describe in looking for a dependable camera I would say the first version of the K3 (, or the KP but it's double the price of a K3 mark 1) should be your best bet. These take all old and newest lenses. The K3ii apparently had some issues due to the GPS module and weather sealing, and didn't add anything sensor-wise, so unless you want to optimistically do astrophotography in the Netherlands with all its light pollution, just keep an eye out for the original K3.

If you don't care about the newer PLM lenses, there is a K5 on Marktplaats with the 18-270, but the seller changed their ad but kept the bids (it originally also had a big full frame Sigma tele), so the price in the bids is way too high now. The K5 is an absolute workhorse and won't let you down, but it won't take the modern PLM lenses so they're not futureproof. Might not be an issue for you.

Do understand that you're also looking at a used camera, so it won't be new, and you could better check for something with at least some warranty.

A list of most Dutch stores (except cameranu and cameraland) that carry 2nd hand is here https://www.foto-occasions.nl/pentax/
Stores like kamera-express sometimes buy in old (even analog) gear so you could do a trade in and clean up your collection a bit.
There was a K3ii on sale, with warranty, but checking the link it is gone now. Just reload the page every day. Sometimes there are deals better than marktplaats or ebay, got a really nice K5iis for a great price recently, with warranty and everything.
There's also a special sigma-for-pentax page on foto-occasions, but it has only one lens at the moment.

You can also buy with warranty on mpb.com but note that you have to pay about 15 euro delivery costs that you will not get back if you return a camera.
MPB has fair prices but slightly overestimates the state of the gear they sell.

If don't need anything new but want a light camera with not too many known issues get the K-X for 100 euro that is on MPB right now

Last edited by pimpim; 08-12-2022 at 05:31 AM.
08-12-2022, 05:31 AM   #28

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
To answer your questions: any of your lenses usable on the K200 should also be usable on the K-70.
The DA18-135mm is a fine lens, although I must admit that a DA 20-40mm Ltd has recently replaced a DA 18-135mm as my most used lens.
However, I’m curious about the build date on the K-70;
there are questions about the durability of the early units.
Thanks REH321, trying to find that out, the build date.
08-12-2022, 05:34 AM - 1 Like   #29

Photos: Albums
By the way, the plastic fantastic 35mm and 50mm DA primes could work for you as well and are often at marktplaats for reasonable prices, e.g.:

https://www.marktplaats.nl/v/audio-tv-en-foto/fotografie-lenzen-en-objectiev...-met-uv-filter

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote

Concerning weight:

If you can find a used K-x with low shuttercount, this one is light enough, takes the same Energizers and all your lenses.
What photogem says! You can just go here, buy it for 100 bucks, have it shipped to The Netherlands and if you can't get happy with that just sell everything Pentax and go to -insert new brand here-

https://www.mpb.com/en-eu/product/pentax-k-x/sku-1516922

---------- Post added 12-08-22 at 05:38 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
HD DA 18-50 158g
On flickr there are some people getting very pleasing images (subjective of course) with the 18-50.
According to the lens database it doesn't matter so much if HD or non-HD but maybe that's some expectation bias.

Do try to get it with the original small hood though.

Last edited by pimpim; 08-12-2022 at 05:47 AM.
08-12-2022, 05:51 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I suppose it all depends on what you want. If it is really small and light then m43 camera is one of few choices that will be really small and light. Maybe Fuji without viewfinder or one of their rangefinders.

If I were you I would sell even broken gear (some people buy them for parts) and get something really small and light. You can get pretty versatile zooms from Olympus that will be not much bigger then Pentax Limiteds, paired with something like PEN E-P7 (or some earlier version) will give you small, lightweight and versatile camera for not much. If you sell everything you have you could probably get bused body and lenses (short zoom, macro and longer zoom) for price of K-70 and one of the lenses you mentioned. In Poland 14-42 zoom (which is a pancake zoom) goes for 200Euro new(!) and 40-150 for even less and those are pretty good lenses. You can get something big, expensive and pro-level for more "normal" prices but OM-D system is pretty cheap if you keep it at consumer level.

If you want to keep Pentax then K-70 may be good option. 20-40 Limited is kinda like acquired taste. I love it, there are people who sold it after short time. Its main drawback is short zoom range, it is more a prime with some tweaking possibility. If you want single walk-around lens then look at something longer (16-85 for example). 15mm Limited is great lens but it is really wide even on APS-C so think twice if you will use it. Being prime it will either work for you or it will gather dust. I am never shot with 18-135 so cannot comment on this one.