Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-11-2022, 08:04 AM   #1

Continue with Pentax or sell the whole batch?

Hello! I am a new member. I bought my first pentax, an mz50, and happily photographed my way through parts of Asia, at the end of the 90's. Then I bought a K200D and tried to get digital. I bought an17-70 sdm pentax lens which made beautiful pictures but the autofocus broke down, I had it repaired, broke down again, plus the K200D was very heavy and ate batteries like crazy. I became disappointed, and took refuge in compact camera's. Now I still have a whole bunch of wide range lenses, single focus lenses, remote controllers, a lot. But I do not know if it would be wise to sell the whole mess, and buy a canon, or find a body that would fit my KAF2 mount. I guess everything but my pentax lense still functions. And maybe it is not a good question for a pentax forum :-)

Any comment would be appreciated. Is there any body that has proved it's resilience that would not break the bank?
Sincerely, Rob.

08-11-2022, 08:22 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do you still keep K200D? I had one. First of all I do not think it was too heavy for DSLR (all APC-s DSLR camera weight approximately the same ) And you probably did not use rechargeable. Can 17-70 SDM lens be converted to the screw drive? Some people on forum for sure can tell you.
08-11-2022, 08:24 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Hi Rob, what worries me the most is that you found the K200D "very heavy". Based on that I don't know if I can recommend any Pentax DSLR (or any DSLR from any brand for that matter). To my knowledge, there is no body significantly smaller and lighter than this one, let alone reliable ones.
My first suggestion would be to start back experimenting with your current setup and figure out what limits you or frustrates you the most so the recommendation can be refined
Alternatively, getting a used K-5 / K-5 II / K-3 should be a reasonable investment while quite a huge step forward technologically speaking. But they will not be lighter.
Selling everything and starting fresh? Why not, but there I have no experience/no recommendation to make. And the "greener grass" can turn out to be disappointing if your need (ie: what would you be looking for in another brand that Pentax does not provide) was not very clearly defined!
08-11-2022, 08:41 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It might be helpful to know what lenses you have as that might let us know if adapting to a different mirrorless system would make any sense.

Right now, the way I'm reading this is, the weight and size of a K200D is too great for your liking. As previously mentioned, they don't really get any lighter than that, save for the K-01 which honestly is a pretty niche camera and not one I think you'd really want.

You might be happier with something like a Fuji X-T30 or Nikon Z fc. But you'll be going through batteries pretty fast vs. about any Pentax DSLR.

08-11-2022, 09:15 AM   #5
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rob Gravelotte Quote
. . . the K200D was very heavy . . .
Welcome to the forums

you will find friendly members and a lot of knowledge here

QuoteOriginally posted by VictorDA Quote
Hi Rob, what worries me the most is that you found the K200D "very heavy". . . .
Alternatively, getting a used K-5 / K-5 II / K-3 should be a reasonable investment while quite a huge step forward technologically speaking. But they will not be lighter. . . .

here is a side by side comparison of the K 200D, the K 5 II and the K 3 so the OP can see the features and the weight

Pentax K200D vs. Pentax K-5 II vs. Pentax K-3 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com
08-11-2022, 09:50 AM - 6 Likes   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello! I am a new member. I bought my first pentax, an mz50, and happily photographed my way through parts of Asia, at the end of the 90's. Then I bought a K200D and tried to get digital. I bought an17-70 sdm pentax lens which made beautiful pictures but the autofocus broke down, I had it repaired, broke down again, plus the K200D was very heavy and ate batteries like crazy. I became disappointed, and took refuge in compact camera's. Now I still have a whole bunch of wide range lenses, single focus lenses, remote controllers, a lot. But I do not know if it would be wise to sell the whole mess, and buy a canon, or find a body that would fit my KAF2 mount. I guess everything but my pentax lense still functions. And maybe it is not a good question for a pentax forum :-)

Any comment would be appreciated. Is there any body that has proved it's resilience that would not break the bank?
Sincerely, Rob.
Just sell the stuff and buy something else. You have indicated your disappointment in the brand based on a camera body that is now 14 years old and a lens which, unfortunately, had some well documented issues with the AF. What you have not indicated is that you have looked at the brand since then.
Canon makes a decent camera and from what you are indicating, that is the brand you have researched, and now you are coming here for what will be, at best, anecdotes.
If you keep with Pentax, you are going to be eternally unhappy because you have more than likely decided the grass is greener on the other side of the fence.
08-11-2022, 10:14 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi Rob, welcome to Pentax Forums!

Your question is one that is often considered by photographers -- do I keep my current brand, or make a change? Certainly, all brands of cameras offer excellent choices, and there are plenty of options. Unfortunately, all brands can suffer from component failures. The Pentax DA 17-70 lens did have a design problem with its in-lens focus motor.

Modern Pentax cameras and lenses are very good in terms of reliability, but we hear sporadic reports of some failures once in a while.

I think that it would be difficult to recommend something without knowing your photographic interests. What sort of subjects do you tend to photograph?

You mention the weight of the K200D. With the DA 17-70 lens, the mass is about 1,200 grams. If you are thinking of a lighter, smaller kit, say in the 800-g range, the Pentax DSLRs might not be an option. For example, the K-70 + general-purpose DA 18-135mm zoom lens would come in at 1,100 g.

Some brands offer smaller and lighter systems, depending, of course, on the lens(es) that you choose. Just as an example, a relatively lightweight kit could include something like a Fujifilm X-E4 + XF 18-55mm zoom (total 675 g) or X-E4/XF 18-135mm (total 850 g). There are other possibilities, depending on your budget and weight threshold. I'm not familiar with Canon gear.

Another format of camera is based on the 'micro four-thirds' sensor. Some of these systems are relatively compact and lightweight, and feature small lenses. Image quality can be quite good, although not as good generally as the larger sensor formats such as APS-C (like the Pentax K-70) or 'full frame'.

Another possibility might be a compact camera such as the Ricoh GR III, which has a fixed lens. It's small, very well-regarded, and has excellent image quality -- it's not the usual 'point and shoot'. It wouldn't serve as a wildlife or birding camera, but could work well in urban settings, landscapes, architecture, etc. To get an idea of its versatility, take a look at:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1438439/42
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/161-ricoh-gr/385160-gr-iii-photos-owners.html

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 08-12-2022 at 03:30 PM. Reason: typo
08-11-2022, 10:26 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Sincerely, Rob.
I understand having issues with camera weight - but I am 74 now, and lugging one by foot is becoming a problem for me.

We live within a mile of the entrance to the County Fair Grounds. Until recently, we would walk there, then all around the Fair. Last year this was an issue for me. This year, my wife suggested that we reduce stress on my body by driving to the fair, but instead I carried my “Q” kit {which weighs about 1/3 what my KP kit does}, and I did OK. Honestly, I can’t imagine a healthy youngish person who would be bothered by the weight of a camera kit, but I take you at your word. Unless you are going to lug a wide, long lens with you, many MILC camera kits would weigh less, but I will not make a recommendation, because I’m not in the habit of spending other person’s money. Just make a decision, and then live with it.

added: The lens you mentioned is an exception. Modern Pentax lenses with in-lens motors are ‘great’ {as Tony-the-Tiger would say}.

Last edited by reh321; 08-11-2022 at 10:33 AM.
08-11-2022, 10:56 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Um. You found a 14 year old DSLR was heavy compared to a compact? Of course it is. You have an unspecified list of Pentax fit lenses and wonder if you should just sell the lot and buy a Canon? If you’re thinking of a Canon compact it’s obviously going to be lighter than the K200D, but I don’t think they make compacts of any flavour now. A Canon Rebel DSLR will be lighter than a K200D as I notice comparing a sister-in-law’s 12 year old 550D to my 12 year old Pentax K-7, but I like the sturdy build of my own kit.

Why not use a smartphone like most people do nowadays? It’s light and unless you’re wanting to make big prints of your photos it’ll do fine, since they have improved greatly in the past 14 years. I know why I lug this “heavy” DSLR kit around when I want to make photos, but hey, your mileage may vary.
08-11-2022, 11:10 AM   #10
Pentaxian

My limited experience with the K200D is that it's a fine camera WHEN USED WITH HI-QUALITY RECHARGEABLE BATTERIES!
However, if it's too heavy for you it's unlikely you'll find any DSLR (let alone a Pentax) that'll suit you
It's a shame you had problems with your 17-70mm lens … I'd imagine the 18-135mm would be a valid replacement, but I have no experience with either.
Good luck
08-11-2022, 11:46 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
My limited experience with the K200D is that it's a fine camera WHEN USED WITH HI-QUALITY RECHARGEABLE BATTERIES!
However, if it's too heavy for you it's unlikely you'll find any DSLR (let alone a Pentax) that'll suit you
It's a shame you had problems with your 17-70mm lens … I'd imagine the 18-135mm would be a valid replacement, but I have no experience with either.
Good luck
I had similar battery issues with my K2000....until I put Eneloop Pro batteries in it. After that I had good battery life and no problems. A set of 4 Eneloop Pro runs $20-$25...so that's pretty cheap.

08-11-2022, 11:46 AM   #12
Pentaxian

To me, it sounds like you haven't missed having a DSLR after all these years, so I'm thinking maybe a high quality compact, like a Sony RX100 type camera might be what you want. It can give you very nice pictures and fits in your pocket. Or, just get a nice cell phone.

If you want more controls, the ability to use your old lenses, more control over depth of field, and the "fun factor" of having a DSLR, then it depends on your budget... but a good reliable option will weigh about what the K200D weights, if not more.

By the way I also use rechargeable eneloops in my K200D and they last quite a while.
08-11-2022, 12:03 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Hello! I am a new member. I bought my first pentax, an mz50, and happily photographed my way through parts of Asia, at the end of the 90's. Then I bought a K200D and tried to get digital. I bought an17-70 sdm pentax lens which made beautiful pictures but the autofocus broke down, I had it repaired, broke down again, plus the K200D was very heavy and ate batteries like crazy. I became disappointed, and took refuge in compact camera's.
My first digital camera was a Canon compact. After ten months, I determined it was too inflexible for me, so I declared to be a ‘failure’ and purchased a Canon Rebel. I just now realized that there are some unspoken words between here and considering a new camera. What are they? Why are you considering moving away from your current situation??
08-11-2022, 12:34 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you liked k200 and mz50 style shooting as you indicate, and have bunch of lenses, it makes sense to continue with a better digital pentax camera body (secondhand can from a few 100’s, like k5, k3, kp or new like k70 or k3III ) and another standard zoom in the 17- 50/70/135 range as you are disappointed in your current one. Sensor technology has jumped forward, so a newer body might improve your experience if you expect ultra sharp pictures.... if you go this path, you like to take control of your camera, your lenses, your settings, your pictures...and accept the larger kit size for the pleasure of full control. Going to another brand is probably just expensive unless you have specific demands ( like video...) or your other lens options are rather limited in value. Selling off equipment: don't expect miracles.

If you want to keep it simple (one smaller body with one fixed zoom lens), lightweight and like simple, automated point and shoot photography, a small compact might be the way forward.
Or a bit more advanced like a travel zoom camera ( typically more zoom range wide to tele covering the lens options) or bridge camera , they have indeed replaced the simpler, old film bodies/lens options of the mz-50 era. Price and size wise these could be the meet in the middle strategy between compact and dslr.
Going this compact ... bridge path is a sign you don’t mind the camera doing some things for you, as there are less control buttons and lens options,... and just focus on standard quality pictures & photography (less on art, landscape, macro, wildlife, sports... or other more complex shooting conditions).

So the question is, how do you see yourself as a photographer? Then choose the way forward...
08-11-2022, 01:03 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you want something lighter and easier to carry like others have said a Ricoh GR III might be best. No lenses to carry around and the Ricoh GR III takes pretty good pictures. Changing a whole system can be frustrating. My prior setup before Pentax was Canon. Started with the Rebel 350, and ended up with the 5D and collection of lenses. What caused me to change was the high cost of Canon lenses, Canon thinks very highly of their stuff. I started researching camera manufacturers and finally sold all my Canon gear. For me, one of the requirements was water resistance body & lenses for landscape and some people photography. After a lot of research, I settled on Pentax, first one was K-5 II. I have gone from there to KS-2, and now I have two KP's and assorted lenses.
On a side note, I use to always have a camera with me, but nowadays with decent light, my cell phone takes pretty good photos unless I want something special that only a DSLR can do.

Good luck with whatever you decide.