Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 24 Likes Search this Thread
08-16-2022, 02:07 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by CraigR Quote
But you can. Buy from Amazon and you can try it out and if you do not like it return it.
Amazon doesn't really want you to try it and decide to send it back - you can but if you do too many you will go on their list. Many people have been booted from being Amazon customers from too high a return rate. Returns for reason are different.

08-16-2022, 10:46 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Oops, I thought you already had it! But the same applies to the FA43.

The FA77 is fantastic on both crop and full frame

I also have a lot of older full frame lenses. That's why I'll always have a K-1
Same here! My experience is much like Sandy's. It's been APS-C right along for me, and although I had arrived to the point of being very satisfied, I rather knew I was still missing out to some degree with only my DA lenses, of which I have very good ones, and using other FF lenses in this more narrow FOV. But I did not realize how much I would enjoy having my K-1 II and employing fine FF lenses again in their original FOV, and with the superior IQ of the K-1 II, until I finally did so! The same above also applies to the excellent yet modestly-priced FA HD 35mm f/2. A terrific multi-use FF prime lens on the K-1.

Many of my old film-era lenses sat unused for some years, and it has been a revelation in some cases to put them on my K-1 II. One of these favorites is my Tokina 28-70mm f/2.6-2.8 ATX Pro II, which though built like a tank, is essentially no larger than the new DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 PLM, though to be fair does not go quite as WA, yet also to be fair- is a FF lens, not APS-C! I love it on my K-1 II. Its performance has been great, and its screw-driven AF has been surprisingly good. My choices for use with my K-1 II are relatively light for FF ensembles. I can go about comfortably enough, with advantages gained in IQ and in low-light performance.

But when going more into the tele range, and/or when dealing with more extensive walking or bike-riding, its the APS-C alternative every time, which is yet more manageable and even more compact. My APS-C options are so good now, I often marvel at how capable this gear is for how relatively well it totes. Since you already have the DA* 50-135mm f/2.8 WR, it seems it would become it to have a lower half of the zoom range with which it could couple, and to complement its relative compactness. But the new DA* 16-50mm f/2.8 AW PLM is nearly as long, wider, and actually heavier than this DA* tele zoom lens! If needing the f.2.8 constant aperture, well you need it. Otherwise, the DA 20-40mm f/2.8-4 Ltd makes a wonderful and truly compact ensemble with the DA* 50-135mm lens.

Advancing one thing at a time is the best way to go, as I see things. Easier on the finances too. Incidentally, the VF of my KP, while not having the magnification of the K-3 III (one of its claims to fame), it was an advancement over that of my K-5 IIs, which I still have and sometimes use. This went from 92x to 95x, enough to make some difference.

Last edited by mikesbike; 08-16-2022 at 11:33 PM.
08-16-2022, 11:03 PM   #33
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Amazon doesn't really want you to try it and decide to send it back - you can but if you do too many you will go on their list. Many people have been booted from being Amazon customers from too high a return rate. Returns for reason are different.
Indeed, although this is just one item...I have returned quite a few things that were not suitable once I got them and have yet to be "booted off". Or maybe we just buy too much to be got rid of
08-16-2022, 11:13 PM - 1 Like   #34
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, given how much I buy on Amazon, if I return the K3-III I would hit a 50% return rate

08-17-2022, 12:03 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kyukyu Quote
If I keep the FF I should probably try the 28-105. It could be that it surprises me. The range is surely useful and the lens is light.
Like most others who have this lens, it is my usual go-to all-around zoom lens on my K-1 II in good lighting. IQ is very good. It is light, but well-made and has WR, which can be important. AF is very good with my sample. I love my Tokina 28-70mm f/2.6-2.8 lens, but it is still not as light or as compact, and does not have WR. So I more often use it when needing its f/2.8 capabilities, which in my case is fairly common. Another thought in this regard for you, is to also have the FA 35mm f/2 for WA and low light usage with the K-1, as well as being a good, light walk-around prime lens.

Last edited by mikesbike; 08-17-2022 at 03:12 PM.
08-17-2022, 02:20 AM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Buy from Amazon and you can try it out and if you do not like it return it.
I have not bought anything from Amazon since they tried to scam Lady L a couple of years back. But if thay are permitting returns merely to allow people to try things out, that is yet another reason I won't use them. As, presumably, they will sell it again (and again? .. and again?) as "new", you may actually be buying a used item, albeit only for a few days or weeks, possibly even missing small accessories and paperwork. That's unless Amazon have much much better ethics than in my experience and in what is generally reported about them.
08-17-2022, 02:37 AM   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess I will chime in.

For landscapes, the K-1 plus the 15-30 is going to give you about as good results as you can get without going medium format. I feel pretty similar to the OP with regard to the 15-30's weight and am pretty close to selling it and buying a DFA 21 limited.

With regard to the K-3 III plus the DA *16-50 PLM, that is a really sweet package. The new 16-50 is significantly better than the DFA 24-70. It has a great build, fast auto focus and is sharp at f2.8. There is some vignetting at f2.8, but otherwise, no issues with it whatsoever. I would have no hesitation recommending the K-3 III plus 16-50 PLM to anyone.

I guess my thought would be to keep the K-1, but sell the 15-30 and buy a wide prime to take its place -- Samyang or Irix would be reasonable as you really don't need auto focus in that wide a lens. Then get the K-3 III and get the two PLM lenses -- 16-50 and 55-300. I don't think the amount that you will get from the K-1 sale would warrant selling it, but adding the K-3 III and lenses would be a nice addition.

08-17-2022, 03:04 AM   #38
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
I have not bought anything from Amazon since they tried to scam Lady L a couple of years back. But if thay are permitting returns merely to allow people to try things out, that is yet another reason I won't use them. As, presumably, they will sell it again (and again? .. and again?) as "new", you may actually be buying a used item, albeit only for a few days or weeks, possibly even missing small accessories and paperwork. That's unless Amazon have much much better ethics than in my experience and in what is generally reported about them.
They aren't "permitting returns merely to allow people to try things out" but online sales have a 14 day "cooling off period" so items can be returned for any reason...all online business sellers have to do this
Because I see you are in the UK, here is the Which? guide
What?s a cooling-off period and how do I use it to cancel an order? - Which?
08-17-2022, 05:55 AM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

online sales [in the UK] have a 14 day "cooling off period"
I had never heard of this before but you are right. I'm not sure though that many other people in the UK are aware of it either, outside of Amazon. Certainly many sellers behave as if they are unaware of it. I have just looked around at some consumer rights websites and they are full of comments about on-line retailers not honouring this requirement, leaving it to the buyer to sue them if they dare to.

Amazon evidently do honour it though, and are known for doing so. Certainly I have read on forums in other fields about using Amazon to try out stuff, or even effectively to hire stuff for a few days for free. Seems to be a common practice with Amazon, which remains an off-putting factor for me. I would not deliberately do that in my wildest dreams - I fully research stuff before I buy anything important, and I only expect to return it if it is faulty.
08-17-2022, 06:27 AM   #40
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Lord Lucan Quote
I had never heard of this before but you are right. I'm not sure though that many other people in the UK are aware of it either, outside of Amazon.

Certainly I have read on forums in other fields about using Amazon to try out stuff, or even effectively to hire stuff for a few days for free. Seems to be a common practice with Amazon, which remains an off-putting factor for me. I would not deliberately do that in my wildest dreams - I fully research stuff before I buy anything important, and I only expect to return it if it is faulty.
I’m in your camp also.
08-17-2022, 10:43 AM - 1 Like   #41
Pentaxian

If possible, both bodies are quite complementary and if you can swing it, the option to keep both would be nice to have unless your use cases are really overlapping.

The K-1 has a built in GPS and when combined with modern fast DFA* primes is great for astro, landscape, portraits (but really anything). I have a strong preference to use primes on this body (old and new) but there are many good zooms that pair well.

The K-3 III can geotag (with a phone), shoots up to 12fps, and has higher pixel density making it great for telephoto-centric shooting like wildlife. I almost exclusively use zooms on this body since the newest DFA primes (21/50/85) are large and don't produce a FOV I like vs on FF. The DA Limited lenses pair nicely size-wise and aesthetic-wise, but aside from the 20-40 none are WR nor in-lens motor which leaves you stuck with screwdrive and no weather sealing if either is important to you. The IQ is excellent but falls behind the K-1 as expected.

You can share batteries, lenses, and memory cards across them too - while neither perfectly replaces the other, you're not completely stuck without a backup.