Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2022, 07:14 AM   #16
Pentaxian
Wasp's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Pretoria
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,992
An up to date APSC Pentax below USD1000 would be a good thing. They can all it the K80 or the KP II or anything they like. Just make sure that there are no failure prone aperture control solenoids inside.

08-19-2022, 07:19 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,066
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
An up to date APSC Pentax below USD1000 would be a good thing. They can all it the K80 or the KP II or anything they like. Just make sure that there are no failure prone aperture control solenoids inside.
I havenít heard of any solenoid failures since Pentaxís last mod.
They may have finally fixed that thing!
08-19-2022, 10:39 AM - 2 Likes   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2013
Location: Hertfordshire, England
Posts: 789
I wouldn't.

The KP is so good I bought it twice - one black, one silver.

Philip
08-19-2022, 11:04 AM   #19
Unregistered User
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
I wouldn't.

The KP is so good I bought it twice - one black, one silver.

Philip
I agree - any "successor" would have to be extremely good because I really do love this camera.

08-19-2022, 11:23 AM   #20
Pentaxian
Oldbayrunner's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kingsville, MD
Posts: 1,542
$0.00
08-19-2022, 11:35 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,066
There are so many differences between the K-70 and KP besides aperture control
1. KP has metal structure
2. K-70 is rounded while KP has K-1 like shape
3. K-70 has true articulated LED while KP has ‘flippy’ LCD
4. controls of KP are truly more like K-1
that I believe the heritage will be clear; for reasons of cost, I would expect any further “APS-C” development be a K-70 follow up to keep costs down, but I would expect the innards to bear clear resemblance to K-3iii so they can use as much K-3iii stuff as possible.

My only area of ‘disatisfaction’ with the KP is in the area of AF, so my decision whether to purchase a new one would probably depend on whether they seriously improve the AF, while still keeping the price down to about $1K, regardless whether it is a KP or a K-70 offshoot {in fact, I might prefer a K-70 offshoot since it would probably be a tad lighter}

Last edited by reh321; 08-19-2022 at 11:57 AM.
08-20-2022, 09:50 AM - 1 Like   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter




Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Stratford Ontario
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 204
QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
Pure speculation. Let us assume Pentax will make camera in KP form factor but with sensor of K3III What would be a reasonable price your are willing to pay for KP upgrade. (I do not think that K3III is KP upgrade, it is just different camera).
I love my KP, but if the K3iii had a flip up/down screen that would make a nice successor today. Not sure why they didnít include that really useful feature

08-20-2022, 10:26 AM   #23
Pentaxian
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,066
QuoteOriginally posted by rvandenbrink Quote
I love my KP, but if the K3iii had a flip up/down screen that would make a nice successor today. Not sure why they didnít include that really useful feature
because the K-3iii is not a general purpose camera, like the KP basically is.
They donít need to photograph speeding mushrooms.
08-20-2022, 10:51 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2013
Location: Hertfordshire, England
Posts: 789
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
because the K-3iii is not a general purpose camera, like the KP basically is.
They donít need to photograph speeding mushrooms.
It is because of the improvements in the K-3iii that it is more of a general purpose camera, in the sense that it is an effective device for capturing good images in many different genres of photography.

Philip
08-20-2022, 11:17 AM   #25
Pentaxian
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,066
QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
It is because of the improvements in the K-3iii that it is more of a general purpose camera, in the sense that it is an effective device for capturing good images in many different genres of photography.

Philip
You don’t need a top LCD, bigger battery, better queue, ad nauseum for general purpose photography.
My KP is great for general purpose photography.
The K-3iii is specialized for action. for those cases where certain capabilities are needed.
Almost every time I use my KP I wish it had the K-3iii’s focusing - I have used the KP’s ‘flippy LCD’ only once in the 3-1/2 years that I have owned it.
I suppose I should offer to make a {even-up} trade.

added: I see above you say you already have 2 KP’s - so you already have a “general purpose” camera - so for what particular purpose do you need a K-3iii??? In what particular cases do you still need a K-3iii??? What particular improvement in the KP and how much more would you be willing to pay for it. This thread is taking about how much we would be willing to pay for particular improvements in the KP. I have already stated many times that I would be willing to pay up to $1K for a KP or K-70 that would focus likes the K-3iii does.

Last edited by reh321; 08-20-2022 at 11:58 AM.
08-20-2022, 12:02 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2013
Location: Hertfordshire, England
Posts: 789
It is because of the improvements in the K-3iii that it is more of a general purpose camera, in the sense that it is an effective device for capturing good images in many different genres of photography, including action for which other Pentax DSLRs are less effective.

General-purpose definition - having a range of uses or applications; not restricted to one function. Collins English Dictionary

Philip
08-20-2022, 12:08 PM   #27
Pentaxian
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,066
QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
It is because of the improvements in the K-3iii that it is more of a general purpose camera, in the sense that it is an effective device for capturing good images in many different genres of photography, including action for which other Pentax DSLRs are less effective.

General-purpose definition - having a range of uses or applications; not restricted to one function. Collins English Dictionary

Philip
You, as an owner of two KP cameras, still have not said how you would improve the KP and how much you would be willing to pay for those improvements. This thread is not a place for bitching about the K-3iii.
08-20-2022, 02:09 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2013
Location: Hertfordshire, England
Posts: 789
In my first post here, in response to the thread title, "What Price You are Ready to Pay for KP Successor?"", I stated: "I wouldn't".

If that needs clarification:- I'm not ready to pay any price at present for a KP successor. That is because the existing KP is a great camera which does everything I want for my photography, and so I bought another - as a backup and for different uses.

(Incidentally, both were bargains; the first is a Ricoh/Pentax refurbished unit; the second is an end-of-line bargain; the total for both was about 30% less than the price of one new K-3iii and, if current trends continue, that total is likely to be similar to the cost of any KPii.)

You imply a strangely negative interpretation of my posts above - I wonder if other readers think that I've been, "bitching about the K-3iii". Rather my comments are praising its capabilities - "...it is an effective device for capturing good images in many different genres of photography, including action for which other Pentax DSLRs are less effective".

Philip
08-20-2022, 02:17 PM   #29
Pentaxian
reh321's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: South Bend, IN, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,066
QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
In my first post here, in response to the thread title, "What Price You are Ready to Pay for KP Successor?"", I stated: "I wouldn't".

If that needs clarification:- I'm not ready to pay any price at present for a KP successor. That is because the existing KP is a great camera which does everything I want for my photography, and so I bought another - as a backup and for different uses.

(Incidentally, both were bargains; the first is a Ricoh/Pentax refurbished unit; the second is an end-of-line bargain; the total for both was about 30% less than the price of one new K-3iii and, if current trends continue, that total is likely to be similar to the cost of any KPii.)

You imply a strangely negative interpretation of my posts above - I wonder if other readers think that I've been, "bitching about the K-3iii". Rather my comments are praising its capabilities - "...it is an effective device for capturing good images in many different genres of photography, including action for which other Pentax DSLRs are less effective".

Philip
so you wouldnít purchase another KP if it had the focusing of the K-3iii?
It would already have the flippy LCD you want so badly. Would you really still need a K-3iii? Perhaps you could sell off the K-3iii.
08-20-2022, 03:16 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2013
Location: Hertfordshire, England
Posts: 789
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
so you wouldnít purchase another KP if it had the focusing of the K-3iii?
It would already have the flippy LCD you want so badly. Would you really still need a K-3iii? Perhaps you could sell off the K-3iii.
I'll try again:-

I'm not ready to pay any price at present for a KP successor.

Nowhere in my previous posts have I stated that I want or need a K-3iii.

The existing KP is a great camera which does everything I want for my photography.

The end.
Philip
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
af, aps-c, bodies, camera, canon, choice, concept, dslr, features, iii, improvement, k-3, k-70, k3iii, kp, kp update, lens, lenses, model, nikon, pentax, photography, plm, price, professionals, sets, wedding
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
KP vs K-70 - to KP or not to KP, that is the question OldChE Pentax DSLR Discussion 28 11-02-2019 05:29 AM
How much would you be ready to pay for DA* 16-50mm f2.8 (used)? mhoule418 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 17 10-13-2019 02:38 PM
If you currently have a free Flickr account will you now pay to move to a pro account Jonathan Mac Photographic Industry and Professionals 56 11-21-2018 03:22 PM
Flickr photo book: you get what you pay for. micromacro Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 30 10-03-2014 04:52 PM
Nature Neighbors ready for nw to cut the grassm but I ain't ready,,,, Knock Post Your Photos! 4 04-25-2014 05:00 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:39 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top