Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2022, 01:24 PM   #61

Most professionals I know use their existing gear until it falls apart! It is not unusual to see a real "pro" photographer using 10 years old gear. It is fairly logical they still use DSLRs as EVF cameras are a novelty of the last 8-10 years.
People have the perception professionals earn a lot of money. Most do not. Yes, you have the happy few specialized in product, fashion, real estate.... Most of the pro wedding photographers have to take a side job. How much is a journalistic photograph worth? Ask your local newspaper guy. Do you really believe all the Youtube nonsense of influencers shifting camera systems as they are supposedly changing their underwear.
I am of the opinion DSLRs have their advantages, disadvantages as are EVF cameras.
In an ever shrinking camera market, thanks to all the smartphones, Ricoh-Pentax strategy will most likely shift to more profitable, margin wise, camera systems and yes I would be very happy they implement some successor for the KP at a 1200-1400 USD price point.
Time will tell if a KP successor will be released.

08-30-2022, 01:34 PM   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by eric1965 Quote
Most professionals I know use their existing gear until it falls apart! It is not unusual to see a real "pro" photographer using 10 years old gear. It is fairly logical they still use DSLRs as EVF cameras are a novelty of the last 8-10 years.
People have the perception professionals earn a lot of money. Most do not. Yes, you have the happy few specialized in product, fashion, real estate.... Most of the pro wedding photographers have to take a side job. How much is a journalistic photograph worth? Ask your local newspaper guy. Do you really believe all the Youtube nonsense of influencers shifting camera systems as they are supposedly changing their underwear.
I am of the opinion DSLRs have their advantages, disadvantages as are EVF cameras.
In an ever shrinking camera market, thanks to all the smartphones, Ricoh-Pentax strategy will most likely shift to more profitable, margin wise, camera systems and yes I would be very happy they implement some successor for the KP at a 1200-1400 USD price point.
Quite!
08-31-2022, 01:16 AM   #63
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
They certainly are.
As is every other comment on this and most other 'what if' threads.....
08-31-2022, 02:00 AM   #64
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by martin42mm Quote
As is every other comment on this and most other 'what if' threads.....
Yes, but let's face it there is so little "this is for certain" with Pentax that all that's left is "what if" for people to get excited/upset/indifferent about.

08-31-2022, 02:13 AM   #65
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by CraigR Quote
Yes, but let's face it there is so little "this is for certain" with Pentax that all that's left is "what if" for people to get excited/upset/indifferent about.
Absolutely, I couldn't agree more. That's what makes these forums interesting, and who knows, even Ricoh/Pentax might read them.....
08-31-2022, 02:56 AM   #66

I doubt if Pentax got enough users to support the KP successor though.

If there is a chance of KP successor, I would be looking around 1000-1100 USD
08-31-2022, 02:58 AM   #67
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very much so. People have the idea that if you are a pro you just go out and buy up the newest gear and try everything. The reality is that you get a set of gear that works for you and you run that till it doesn't work anymore. If you are into wedding photography, you get a full frame camera, say, a D810 and you get a couple of f2.8 zooms (24-70/70-200) plus a faster prime like a 85mm f1.8. A couple of flashes and you are set. The important thing is more that you know how to use your gear.

People focus on things like high frame rates and huge number of tracking focus points, but that sort of stuff is just not needed for most portrait or wedding photographers. 6 or 7 fps is plenty. Unless EVFs give you a headache, I don't think there is a big difference in results between cameras with one type of viewfinder and the other.

08-31-2022, 07:46 AM   #68
Forum Member

Eventually though, the gear that any working pro is using is going to reach the end of its life and will need replacing. When that time comes, they are going to stick with Canon/Nikon because of the level of professional support that Canon in particular provides -- and in the future that will mean mirrorless.
That's true. For professionals a system is not only the camera taking beautiful pics. It is also something more - service (how quickly failed gear can be fixed and availability of spare parts), availability of lenses for rent etc. what makes the whole system as such very reliable. Unfortunately Pentax can't offer anything on professional level (at least in Europe).
08-31-2022, 01:22 PM - 2 Likes   #69
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I read through all comments on this thread. I believe all them could be divided on two groups:
1. About future of digital cameras with mirror.
2. About future of Pentax brand in the field of APS-C cameras and in particular KP form factor.
And here are my two cents.
1. DSLR may continue to exist. Not as mainstream but as niche: the same way as film production business continue to be alive. In that niche Pentax may even gain some momentum.
2. About KP formfactor is a different story. It was introduced as relatively small camera shaped more as mirrorless than DSLR, especially when paired with smallest interchangeable grip. And having features such as: flash on board , movable monitor, three control wheels. Will Pentax continue such a lineup or will just keep K3III or K-70. Who knows, but I whish they will preserve it. As of now I am happy with my KP, but if something happens to it I would like to have the ability buy new with the same mechanical design, but more advanced technologically.
08-31-2022, 02:20 PM - 2 Likes   #70
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Indeed there are advantages/disadvantages from each.

Time did tell, the market for the new K-3 III was unsurprisingly by and large those Pentax DSLR users who passed up the KP due to its design formula, and continued to wait for the next K-3 series type model with important upgrades- and that is what they finally got. In addition, the new model was to attract some new buyers who wanted some special advantages offered by Pentax, but also were into action shooting, including birding, better burst capabilities, and perhaps better video along with those other attributes inherent in the K-3 series design.

Time did tell also, the market for the KP was and is for those Pentax DSLR users wanting an upgrade into a much more advanced class of camera- of build, controls, and a plethora of useful features, but still keeping to a more compact svelte design for better portability. Its market allure to outsiders being as a viable DSLR alternative to the high-end APS-C mirrorless offerings. Those shopping in this market could very well be drawn to the KP concept with great interest. There is no other DSLR that can fill this appeal other than the KP.

The Pentax appeal for those phone-shooters interested in getting into the advantages offered by a DSLR alternative having great features at an entry-level price, and with WR construction, is the Pentax K-70. For that in Nikon or Canon- none at entry-level. They'd be looking in the $1,000+ range.

The Pentax appeal for getting into a high-resolution, superb-performing Full Frame DSLR, and at a reasonable price, is the Pentax K-1 II. Packaged with the beautifully-performing, well-made DFA 28-105mm WR lens, try to find an equal combo in build, performance, and features at this price elsewhere!

Another important advantage for Pentax, in any of these 4 design choices and price ranges, is the availability of the fine Limited series of compact prime lenses. Additionally, very important are the well-performing zoom lenses, many featuring WR construction, also at a reasonable price. For that, with Nikon or Canon, they'd be lens-shopping again in the $1,000+ range.

Last edited by mikesbike; 08-31-2022 at 03:22 PM.
09-01-2022, 02:48 AM   #71
Veteran Member

At the moment the KP is my workhorse camera. I have 4 Pentax APS-C DSLRs, all functional. For some time I haven't purchased any new photo equipment (I think 20-40 was the last lens), but I have bought various vintage lenses. At this moment, I think that the APS-C format does not really find its place anymore. There are ML FFs on the market, which are lighter and less bulky than APS-C DSLRs. For those who want even lighter and less bulky equipment, there is the M43 format, which does not show such big differences in IQ compared to APS-C. At the moment, it seems to me that Pentax is on an unclear road, even they don't know where it will take them. In conclusion, I will happily continue to use the excellent KP and the lenses I have, but I will not spend a penny on a new DSLR in the future.
09-01-2022, 03:05 AM - 2 Likes   #72
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nobody in this thread has ever made the obviously invalid assertion that working professionals are constantly buying the latest gear. That's just a straw mean that was set up in the post by eric1965 that you've quoted.

Eventually though, the gear that any working pro is using is going to reach the end of its life and will need replacing. When that time comes, they are going to stick with Canon/Nikon because of the level of professional support that Canon in particular provides -- and in the future that will mean mirrorless.

Why are people so unwilling to accept that ever since the digital era began Pentax has been, is, and will continue to be a manufacturer that sells almost entirely to the amateur market (apart from the obvious exception of the 645D and Z)? This idea that working professionals are so determined to persist with the DSLR that they will abandon Canon/Nikon and switch to Pentax rather than go mirrorless is an utter absurdity.
I guess so. My wife is a "pro." That is, she shoots about 20 weddings a year and does quite a few portrait sessions. It isn't our main income and she does use Pentax. She is not a gear head though and the important thing to her is that her cameras have a familiarity to them where she doesn't have difficulty adjusting settings and things like that.

She has enough redundancy built into the lens line up we own that she doesn't need "professional support." Honestly, if you are in the middle of shooting a wedding and you drop a lens, you just have to figure out how you are going to move forward. No level of pro support is going to take care of that. On the other hand, purchasing professional insurance on your gear takes care of most of the issues between jobs.

I think pros choose gear that works for them. Many will move to MILCs and some will prefer to figure out how to stay with SLRs for the time being. If Pentax releases a new K-1 III that has sufficient specs, that certainly could pull a few people their direction.
09-01-2022, 04:59 AM - 2 Likes   #73
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Honestly, if you are in the middle of shooting a wedding and you drop a lens, you just have to figure out how you are going to move forward. No level of pro support is going to take care of that. On the other hand, purchasing professional insurance on your gear takes care of most of the issues between jobs.
If you drop a lens made by company offering professional service you can easily fix the broken lens for the next wedding.
If you drop a lens made by 'mainstream' company you can easily borrow another one so your nearest work won't be threaten.
If you drop a lens made by 'niche' company you can only (almost) pray. Obviously if you don't have any backup gear (what is not costless).

I have to emphasize that I love my KP and pictures it can generate together with da* lenses but if I were a professional photographer whose the main job is taking photos I would choose other system, maybe keeping Pentax just for fun and pleasure.

Obviously others can have quite opposite opinion
09-01-2022, 05:21 AM   #74
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Paulo Quote
If you drop a lens made by company offering professional service you can easily fix the broken lens for the next wedding.
If you drop a lens made by 'mainstream' company you can easily borrow another one so your nearest work won't be threaten.
If you drop a lens made by 'niche' company you can only (almost) pray. Obviously if you don't have any backup gear (what is not costless).

I have to emphasize that I love my KP and pictures it can generate together with da* lenses but if I were a professional photographer whose the main job is taking photos I would choose other system, maybe keeping Pentax just for fun and pleasure.

Our experience with insurance has been fairly rapid turn around and if there is significant damage, they replace the lens rather than fix it. This happened with our DFA *85 when my wife bumped it and it had significant decentering afterward. Time to replacement lens was less than two weeks and as before mentioned we have enough redundancy between FA 135 f2.8/DFA *70-200/DFA 100 macro that it wasn't a big deal to have that lens out of commission for a short time.
09-01-2022, 05:30 AM - 2 Likes   #75
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paulo Quote

As someone who has repaired cameras & lenses for more than 40 years, believe me repairing ANY dropped modern lens is unlikely to be successful or economic. And don't even ask about the built-in electronics in 'pro' standard 'grey' Canon lenses for example if they get damp. They just become expensive paperweights... I've got two that came from a lens rental company where the sports photographers had used them at somewhat sogg football matches. No manual focus, no AF and no aperture control. I stripped out all the electronics, open-aperture only ( they are a 300mm f2.8 and 500mm f4.5), and rigged up a manual control for the focus, as well as converting to PK mount! The point is Canon said there was not a chance of repairing them economically, so they were written off by the agency. Incidentally if you feel tempted to clean the inner elements, just be aware in some of these Canon models these are held in by circlips, the sharp ends oif which scratch each element as they are removed!
And if a lens is dropped, plastic will usually shatter, and I've also had issues with metal -bodies lenses where even a minor drop distorts the tracks guide the zoom element groups.

Some manufacturers will actually return a 'repaired' lens wilth another example that has been fully serviced and keep the damaged lens as a source of parts.

So I reckon you would be better off as a pro, buying a Pentax , and knowing that replacing your lenses will not be prohibitively expensive.

At the end of the day, pros use what works for them, until their main camera becomes either outmoded or unrepairable. Will they chose Pentax- unlikely since they are probbably wedded to a make based on their lens arsenal. Pity.....