Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2022, 08:36 AM   #76
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
We are going far afield, but true professional service is limited to full time pros and costs 300 dollars a year. Most pros don't bother with that, but instead self-insure and cover themselves with backup options.

09-01-2022, 02:57 PM - 2 Likes   #77
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Paulo Quote
I have to emphasize that I love my KP and pictures it can generate together with da* lenses but if I were a professional photographer whose the main job is taking photos I would choose other system, maybe keeping Pentax just for fun and pleasure.
Really, this logically depends on the kind of professional interest. Different systems have different advantages. Other than accidents and insurance for this, there will be a much higher turnover of equipment due to heavy usage. I have seen numerous examples of pro photogs who use Pentax equipment, both recent and even going back to the era of film. Another aspect of the KP's concept was also as an extra high quality APS-C alternative for compact field use instead of carrying one's much larger and heavier K-1 system in some circumstances. I've seen many cases of K-1 owners also acquiring the KP. In my case, it was the K-1 II that came after the KP. I don't do pro work but having both of these fine outfits works for me.

As to everything going mirrorless, it seems many people are not satisfied with only having what an EVF can give them (even including a headache!). The KP provides electronic representation via its flexible rear screen, as well as an excellent OVF.
09-02-2022, 03:15 AM   #78
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The announcement that Canon has jumped, from a great height, on Viltrox making EF mount lenses ( new thread on these forums) should give pause for thought to those contemplating a move away from Pentax to Canon. Any manufacturer that wants to restrict the number of lenses available for their mount-specific cameras is just shooting themselves in the foot. Yes, they will have a monopoly on lens manufacture, but if it reduces the pool of new take-ups of their own camera system because of this it will cost them financially. Compare that decision with Pentax back in the 70's when they open-licenced the PK mount when it first came out!
09-02-2022, 05:22 AM   #79
Forum Member

Still there is Sony on the market. Not worse than Canon, just little bit different. So Pentaxians willing to change the boat to mirrorless have quite good alternative to Canon...

09-04-2022, 04:12 PM   #80

QuoteOriginally posted by edri Quote
At the moment the KP is my workhorse camera. I have 4 Pentax APS-C DSLRs, all functional. For some time I haven't purchased any new photo equipment (I think 20-40 was the last lens), but I have bought various vintage lenses. At this moment, I think that the APS-C format does not really find its place anymore. There are ML FFs on the market, which are lighter and less bulky than APS-C DSLRs. For those who want even lighter and less bulky equipment, there is the M43 format, which does not show such big differences in IQ compared to APS-C. At the moment, it seems to me that Pentax is on an unclear road, even they don't know where it will take them. In conclusion, I will happily continue to use the excellent KP and the lenses I have, but I will not spend a penny on a new DSLR in the future.
Canon Nikon and Sony keeping investment in APSC shows there is still growth.

I think M4/3 is in a more vulnerable place, but Panasonic does find its way of video shooting
09-04-2022, 04:44 PM   #81
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by martin42mm Quote
The announcement that Canon has jumped, from a great height, on Viltrox making EF mount lenses ( new thread on these forums) should give pause for thought to those contemplating a move away from Pentax to Canon. Any manufacturer that wants to restrict the number of lenses available for their mount-specific cameras is just shooting themselves in the foot. Yes, they will have a monopoly on lens manufacture, but if it reduces the pool of new take-ups of their own camera system because of this it will cost them financially. Compare that decision with Pentax back in the 70's when they open-licenced the PK mount when it first came out!
I thought Canon’s ‘problem’ was Viltrox’s manufacturing lenses for Canon’s EOS-R camera bodies??
In any case, I don’t understand how that would affect the demand for a mythical KPii.

Last edited by reh321; 09-04-2022 at 05:12 PM.
09-05-2022, 01:47 AM - 1 Like   #82
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I thought Canonís Ďproblemí was Viltroxís manufacturing lenses for Canonís EOS-R camera bodies??
In any case, I donít understand how that would affect the demand for a mythical KPii.
Butterfly effect

11-22-2022, 06:32 PM   #83
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If a KP successor had the KP tilt screen, K3 mark iii features (better AF etc) a higher res sensor, more fast memory for the buffer, maybe a second card slot or faster storage, it’d be worth what they charge - roughly the price of a K3iii or higher.
If it’s not a true upgrade I’ll just keep today’s KP…