Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2022, 08:27 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What Price You are Ready to Pay for KP Successor?

Pure speculation. Let us assume Pentax will make camera in KP form factor but with sensor of K3III What would be a reasonable price your are willing to pay for KP upgrade. (I do not think that K3III is KP upgrade, it is just different camera).

08-18-2022, 08:46 PM - 2 Likes   #2

Photos: Albums
SF1 (terrific camera

Nothing.
Loved Pentax since 1973. Honeywell spotmatic, SF1 (great camera still in use. Super Program. Kx. K5 (going to Burning Man for 8th time. Can't kill it even though tried) but won't pay anything for an obsolete dslr system.

Last edited by eddaytona; 08-18-2022 at 09:03 PM.
08-18-2022, 08:49 PM - 2 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
Pure speculation. Let us assume Pentax will make camera in KP form factor but with sensor of K3III What would be a reasonable price your are willing to pay for KP upgrade. (I do not think that K3III is KP upgrade, it is just different camera).
I'd expect somewhere around $1200 USD.

I wouldn't pay it, though, simply as I always wait a couple years (at least) for gear to age down in price.
08-18-2022, 09:12 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
I wouldn't pay it, though, simply as I always wait a couple years (at least) for gear to age down in price.
If we are speaking about new price I don't see K-1ii or K-3iii lowered there price (apart of the fact that dollar itself has lower value compare to couple of years ago).

08-18-2022, 10:18 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If it is just a KP with a new sensor, I do not see much point in upgrading from KP.
I'm perfectly happy with KP and I will probably not replace it until it is worn out.

But I believe price on a new KP would be approx $1500. And the price on K70 replacement in the range of $1000 - 1200.
08-18-2022, 10:53 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My three Pentax DSLRs work properly and serve me very well. So I dont need another one.

But if a KP monochrome would be offered, then dont know what I would pay for it, but I know Id buy a DA 20-40 Ltd. in addition. Would be a cool package IMO.

Im not so much interested in a K3III monochrome, since I dont need its camera characteristics for street, and suspect it would be significantly more expensive.
08-18-2022, 11:14 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

the upgrade of KP

I have KP and I wish there would be KP II in the near future.

The sensor could remain the same. I would welcome a bigger rear screen, maybe improved OVF and the new AF module. I do not need bigger buffer, but I would welcome a new hardware to speed up everything (start up actions etc.)

KP is not the fastest, but it is a fantastic little camera with full of interesting and creative features. Having mine for more than 4 years, I have decided to buy a newer one - just me to live a bit more time with this camera.

08-18-2022, 11:48 PM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If Pentax were to create a KP+ upgrade, I'd expect them to price it around $1400+/-. But I wouldn't pay that. As usual, I'd wait until prices come down a bit as my total investment in Pentax is pretty high already and I'm just a hobbyist, not a money-earning pro.

I'd pay $800 or $900 for an upgraded version. My used K-1 cost around $1000, so paying close to that shows how much I do value a KP.

Meanwhile, my eyes are always open for another good low-mileage KP, since it's one of my favorite Pentaxes of all-time. I only wish I'd discovered that earlier.
08-19-2022, 12:41 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I do not want the KP back. It was sure a nice camera design, but it was to much menu dependend compared with the K-3. So if you ask for a mid level DSLR from Pentax, for me it would be the K-3II with the sensor of the K-70 and a flip screen and I would spend as much as USD 1.200 for it. Since the flip screen would need a full rework of the K-3II body I do not think this camera will emerge on the market. So if Pentax would want a mid-range model again, I would say a good idea would be to set the KP into production as it was or the K-3II with the sensor of the K-70 or KP.

But then, the K-70 is in production since 6 years now and the next sensible (from sight of marketing) step would be to update this mid-level camera, which would usually mean an update to the Safox VII AF-System of the KP/K-3ii, the 86k metering sensor and a faster processor.

But that is all speculation. If we honestly look onto the latest three Pentax DSLR before the K-3iii (K-3ii, KP, K-70) in technology they only lacked in the AF department and the real step forward would be to put the new AF System of the K-3iii into one of them and that we will all allgree will not happen. So I am very curious if and what Ricoh will do in terms of camera development. As I guess there will only be a two camera line up in the future, the K-80 is the most likely update and it will not exceed USD 1.000 as it will perceived as a entry level camera, although it is a mid-range camera.

Writing the last paragraph it came to my mind the sensible camera development would be the K-1iii with the AF-System of the K-3iii. USD 3.000 upwards most likely. And I would really be tempted to buy it.
08-19-2022, 01:53 AM - 1 Like   #10

Photos: Gallery
My KP is my baby K1ii. I use them side by side. I bought it new for €800 when Ricoh took it out of production, great deal.

In case my KP dies I will buy a successor. I think 2/3 of the price of the than flagship APS-C is a reasonable price. So now that would be €1200. Nowadays a € is about a $.
08-19-2022, 03:08 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fogel70 Quote
If it is just a KP with a new sensor, I do not see much point in upgrading from KP.
I'm perfectly happy with KP and I will probably not replace it until it is worn out.

But I believe price on a new KP would be approx $1500. And the price on K70 replacement in the range of $1000 - 1200.
It would likely come with the new software features from the k3III as well as 4k video and other goodies. Though arguably some of this stuff should just be normal firmware updates for older cameras.
08-19-2022, 03:39 AM   #12
Pentaxian

The biggest problem that the KP faced was it's high price considering it wasn't a flagship APS-C model, and that's what really limited it's appeal. With that in mind I think that for any successor the KP release price should be the upper limit, and that's even if it has a better sensor.
08-19-2022, 05:11 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In an ever shrinking camera market, I do not expect a new KP or even a K70 successor. With current inflation a KP successor at around 1500-1600 EUR/USD list price.
Times are over regarding high volume, low margin items. This is not only in the camera industry but very obvious in other industries e.g. car industry.

I am of the opinion:
645Z successor perhaps
K1 II successor probably a K1 III at around 3000 EUR/USD (The so praised best DSLR of all times Nikon D850 sells for around 3500EUR/USD)

K3 III will continue production for a couple of years at current priceor even a small increase.

K70 once parts are depleted or no longer available a successor highly improbable.
I see hardware roadmap as follows:
Perhaps one successor in the "medium format" in the like of a 645Z II

One camera in FF update of the current K1 II at a higher price point

One camera in APS-C and perhaps an entry level camera.
It will be more like higher margin and lower volume.

The last couple of years our communities have been shaken by a worldwide pandemic and since early this year by a war between Russia & Ukraine (Europe, US) and recently a severe escalation between the US and Chinese authorities regarding Taiwan. These are no positive perspectives in short term. Market has to adapt accordingly regarding the shortages of specific supplies.
08-19-2022, 06:08 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What Price You are Ready to Pay for KP Successor?
None. The K70 will meet my needs for years to come, so no plans to buy a new Pentax body for some time.
08-19-2022, 06:09 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Papa_Joe Quote
I do not want the KP back. It was sure a nice camera design, but it was to much menu dependend compared with the K-3. So if you ask for a mid level DSLR from Pentax, for me it would be the K-3II with the sensor of the K-70 and a flip screen and I would spend as much as USD 1.200 for it. Since the flip screen would need a full rework of the K-3II body I do not think this camera will emerge on the market. So if Pentax would want a mid-range model again, I would say a good idea would be to set the KP into production as it was or the K-3II with the sensor of the K-70 or KP.

But then, the K-70 is in production since 6 years now and the next sensible (from sight of marketing) step would be to update this mid-level camera, which would usually mean an update to the Safox VII AF-System of the KP/K-3ii, the 86k metering sensor and a faster processor.

But that is all speculation. If we honestly look onto the latest three Pentax DSLR before the K-3iii (K-3ii, KP, K-70) in technology they only lacked in the AF department and the real step forward would be to put the new AF System of the K-3iii into one of them and that we will all allgree will not happen. So I am very curious if and what Ricoh will do in terms of camera development. As I guess there will only be a two camera line up in the future, the K-80 is the most likely update and it will not exceed USD 1.000 as it will perceived as a entry level camera, although it is a mid-range camera.

Writing the last paragraph it came to my mind the sensible camera development would be the K-1iii with the AF-System of the K-3iii. USD 3.000 upwards most likely. And I would really be tempted to buy it.
My KP is my main camera now.
I make virtually no use of the menu.
When I purchased the KP, I was over 70, and expected it to be my last camera body purchase -
then Pentax came out the K3iii with its improved focusing and better processor.
I doubt Pentax could fit them into a KP under $1000 - but maybe a K-70 follow up.

Oh, yes ….. I never did answer the question.
I would expect a camera to have the accelerator - or equivalent capability - and better focusing than the KP,
and for that I would probably pay up to $1000, but I don’t expect it.

Last edited by reh321; 08-19-2022 at 06:38 AM.