Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2008, 12:52 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
extending the time on the K10D to use the remote control

When using the remote control on the K10D, the time on the camera to use the remote is 5 min (if the rc is not pressed within those 5 min, the K10D reverts to standard operation). Does anyone know if that 5 min can be extended longer? I like to shoot birds and whenever I do this I have to press the rc every 4.5 or so minutes to keep the camera operational. I have a timer to keep me in the know when I must press the rc.

12-20-2008, 08:21 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This is a quick reply based on minimal information.

What I think you are saying is the camera goes into standby after 5 minutes. At that point pressing the shutter will bring it back but some settings are not saved.

If that is correct then you can set the timeout in a menu option. I don't have the same camera, but I set my K100D to never time out when I am photographing birds and will be waiting for them to alight. I try to always set the timeout back to 5 minutes at the end of the session so the camera won't go dead if I forget to turn it off. I'm amazed at how often I pull the camera out of the drawer and find the power switch is on.
12-21-2008, 05:07 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks for your reply. I'll try that approach. Although, I've checked the manual out & have'nt found any info on the subject. It is irritating to have the camera revert to "normal" shooting after 5 min. waiting for birds to land where I want them to. Yes, I've left my switch on many times & found it like that the next morning.
12-21-2008, 07:44 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In my K100D Setup Menu it is called "Auto Power Off." Mine is currently set to 5 min, my favorite value except when shooting birds when I select Off.

Last edited by LeoTaylor; 12-21-2008 at 07:45 PM. Reason: added a couple of words
12-22-2008, 04:40 AM   #5

Something is wrong with your cable release or you either have a mono plug, or a mono cable in the system.

My K10 will sleep, but pressing shutter button on the wired remote brings the camera back. I've left the camera sitting for an hour, tested it in AF-S and MF, set the AF on remote control both on and off, and it responds. I can't think of any other variables to test, so my conclusion is, there is something wrong with your setup. Hopefully not your camera.

What wired remote are you using?