Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2008, 01:04 PM   #16
Veteran Member
Dubesor's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia
Posts: 333
Original Poster
I've attached some snow photos, as promised. All shot with the K20D and SMC Takumar 50/1.4.

Some might look a little strange: these shots are straight out of the camera, with no post-processing. They are also AdobeRGB (so not really meant for the web), but I have no editing app here. The WB is not quite right on some.

But, anyway, they give you an idea of Vancouver covered in snow.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo       
12-22-2008, 01:35 PM   #17
Veteran Member
dugrant153's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Vancouver, BC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,059
Yup... that's Vancouver, alright! Today the snow has stopped (atleast in the Lower Mainland)... I wonder if more is on the way?

I was out shooting yesterday with my DA*16-50 and my K100D (non-Super) and all I did was put a Safeway bag around the camera body and just provide a little hole for the DA lens to shoot through. That's it.

Going to try for a few more shots today.

Err... back on topic... I've been contemplating getting a K20D as it would be a VAST upgrade from my K100D non-Super. This thread is helping that cause :P hehe
12-22-2008, 01:45 PM   #18
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Slovenia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 66
I got my K20D a week ago and I'm quite happy with it, having previously owned a D40. AF is slower and louder, but also it's not as bad as I feared it would be. Now I'm waiting for my m42 adapter and 1.3x eyepiece magnifier.
12-22-2008, 01:56 PM   #19
Veteran Member
Dubesor's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia
Posts: 333
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by denisv Quote
I got my K20D a week ago and I'm quite happy with it, having previously owned a D40. AF is slower and louder, but also it's not as bad as I feared it would be. Now I'm waiting for my m42 adapter and 1.3x eyepiece magnifier.
I think I need the magnifier as well - I use manual focus for 99%+ of my shots. How much will that doohickey set you back?


Last edited by Dubesor; 12-22-2008 at 02:11 PM.
12-22-2008, 02:14 PM   #20
Forum Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Slovenia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 66
QuoteOriginally posted by Dubesor Quote
I think I need the magnifier as well as I'm basically exclusively in manual focus mode. How much will that doohickey set you back?
30 for the magnifier (KPS 1.3x) and another 30 for the m42 adapter (figured I didn't want to break my new camera so I bought the original one). Not exactly cheap, but that's photography for ya
12-22-2008, 04:25 PM   #21
Veteran Member
Dubesor's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia
Posts: 333
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dugrant153 Quote
Err... back on topic... I've been contemplating getting a K20D as it would be a VAST upgrade from my K100D non-Super. This thread is helping that cause :P hehe
I'm glad I bit the bullet. My initial plan was to slowly upgrade my Pentax DSLR system and *also* invest in a lower-end medium format system in 2009 (ie. Kiev or Fuji). I'm now doubting that medium-format would be a very practical foray, as I doubt image quality would get *much* better than on the K20D. Maybe someone on here has closer experience with both K20D and MF photography and can enlighten us?
12-22-2008, 04:37 PM   #22
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: USA
Posts: 132
Ya think it's risky using a non-Pentax M42 adapter?
I bought the Adorama unit for like $14...

T
12-22-2008, 06:45 PM   #23
Veteran Member
Dubesor's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia
Posts: 333
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sharkonwheels Quote
Ya think it's risky using a non-Pentax M42 adapter?
I bought the Adorama unit for like $14...
I think as long as it sits flush with the lens mount and can be put in / taken out without much trouble, it should be fine and should focus to infinity.

12-22-2008, 07:06 PM   #24
Site Supporter
pentaxmz's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 659
QuoteOriginally posted by Dubesor Quote
Even based on very early impressions, I'm very happy with the upgrade from K100D Super to K20D. Time to put that old glass to more use.

There's snow on the ground here in Vancouver and 20cm+ more forecast overnight. It rarely snows here and it always melts right away so this is all very exciting. I'll be out there documenting. Thank you Pentax for the weather sealing
Hello, I am in Vancouver as well.

This snow fall is a rare photographic opportunity (once in ten years from what I hear)!

Drive safe because few Vancouver drivers actually know how to drive in these conditions.

BTW, I just learned that the K20D is not the only camera with seals. The Olympus E-3 is also sealed.
12-22-2008, 07:12 PM   #25
Site Supporter
pentaxmz's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 659
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
It is with some malevolent glee that we BC interior people are viewing the snow on the south coast. Now you know what we suffer through every winter Would love to see the look on my brother's face when he gets back to YVR from Honolulu tonight...

Jack
PG
I am actually from New Orleans. Moved here before last winter and NEVER expected this! WOW OH WOW, I cannot believe it!

From what I understand, this is just the beginning of a very long and snowy Winter. Is their more snow in Prince George as well or is it typical for this time of year?

I just hope there is enough cold / for long enough in the interior to kill off the Mountain Pine Beatles.
12-22-2008, 07:21 PM   #26
Site Supporter
pentaxmz's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 659
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
I have driven into work for the last three days (Saturday was our scheduled maintenance). Most of my fellow SUV driving co-admins are just afraid to drive when it starts snowing out here. Add into that - when you drive around and see the abandoned cars 90% are SUV's as are most of the cars in the ditch - kind of funny acutally. (Currently all three of my family's autos are AWD - for the rain/slick roads not for snow)
Unfortunately, SUVs give people a false sense of security and when it snows as bad as it had, they continue driving at normal speeds. Sorry to say but... IDIOTS! They are usually the first to crash. On the heaviest of nights, I was driving home, in my 4WD but driving at about 40km/h in a 90km/h zone.... The roads were slippery and I was being cautious.... then this IDIOT passing me at about 90km/h or faster, driving a frigg'n PT Cruiser!! I thought it at that moment and sure enough, ~10km later he was off the road and upside down. It took all my will power not to smack the badly injured village idiot!

But what does any of this have to do with DSLR's? Oh yeah, I forgot to bring my camera with me to photograph this scene! Rats, double-rats!
12-22-2008, 07:25 PM   #27
Site Supporter
pentaxmz's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 659
QuoteOriginally posted by trinarn Quote
I so badly want to get out and take some shots, but poor me I only have a K100, not weather sealed...yup think it's time to upgrade!

I too am in Van, mind me asking where you picked up your K20?
Not weather sealed? So what?

It is not like you're planning to drop your camera in a puddle, are you? Even still, I wouldn't want to do that with my sealed K20D.

What are you worried about. The K100 is still a hearty enough camera. You protect it like you would any electronic device. But please don't refrain from taking pictures because you a false fear that it will get damaged by being exposed to 0 degrees.
12-22-2008, 07:32 PM   #28
Site Supporter
pentaxmz's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 659
QuoteOriginally posted by dugrant153 Quote
Yup... that's Vancouver, alright! Today the snow has stopped (atleast in the Lower Mainland)... I wonder if more is on the way?

I was out shooting yesterday with my DA*16-50 and my K100D (non-Super) and all I did was put a Safeway bag around the camera body and just provide a little hole for the DA lens to shoot through. That's it.

Going to try for a few more shots today.

Err... back on topic... I've been contemplating getting a K20D as it would be a VAST upgrade from my K100D non-Super. This thread is helping that cause :P hehe
Your protection might be overkill but I guess better safe than sorry.

It is just, in my experience, I have subjected my gear to some of the harshest conditions possible and I have never suffered from premature nor unexpected failures. But I've been also called impossibly lucky when it comes to my 'relationship' with anything electronic. I just don't seem to encounter troubles with electronics. Uncannily, equipment that seems broken for one person, 'suddenly' works for me. Funny how that is....
12-22-2008, 07:40 PM   #29
Site Supporter
pentaxmz's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Seattle
Posts: 659
QuoteOriginally posted by Dubesor Quote
I'm glad I bit the bullet. My initial plan was to slowly upgrade my Pentax DSLR system and *also* invest in a lower-end medium format system in 2009 (ie. Kiev or Fuji). I'm now doubting that medium-format would be a very practical foray, as I doubt image quality would get *much* better than on the K20D. Maybe someone on here has closer experience with both K20D and MF photography and can enlighten us?
I have a lot of experience with medium format. The Pentax 645 was my baby, along with a set of ungodly expensive lenses. I would have to respectfully but completely disagree with you about image quality/resolution/etc when comparing any digital camera to a medium format.

Bottom line, there is simply no comparison!

Pentax has (or is going to) release a 645 digital camera (18 megapixels - are they kidding, that's all?) but even that will not likely reach the dynamic range and resolution of medium format film.

But alas, I no longer do film for practical and environmental reasons. I am happy with the trade-offs and the 14 mega pixels of the K20D... but I am not fooling myself, this is no medium format.
12-22-2008, 10:04 PM   #30
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Prince George, BC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,343
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
I am actually from New Orleans. Moved here before last winter and NEVER expected this! WOW OH WOW, I cannot believe it!

From what I understand, this is just the beginning of a very long and snowy Winter. Is their more snow in Prince George as well or is it typical for this time of year?

I just hope there is enough cold / for long enough in the interior to kill off the Mountain Pine Beatles.
No, about a foot in the backyard which is typical for a winter snowpack in Prince George. We didn't have a winter until this batch of cold air showed up mid-month.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, k20d, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
News Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, and Happy New Year! Adam Site Suggestions and Help 75 12-26-2014 12:27 AM
Happy New K20D Owner phplady Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 14 10-13-2009 02:53 AM
Happy K20d users post here!! losecontrol Pentax DSLR Discussion 118 02-26-2009 08:31 PM
New happy k20d owner! bwield Pentax DSLR Discussion 1 02-11-2009 09:19 PM
Poetry reading - happy with K20D higher iso hamidlmt Post Your Photos! 17 11-02-2008 07:24 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:45 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top