Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2008, 03:02 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Happy w/ K20D

Even based on very early impressions, I'm very happy with the upgrade from K100D Super to K20D. Time to put that old glass to more use.

There's snow on the ground here in Vancouver and 20cm+ more forecast overnight. It rarely snows here and it always melts right away so this is all very exciting. I'll be out there documenting. Thank you Pentax for the weather sealing

12-20-2008, 03:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Congratulations, a very sensible upgrade.
A great city Vancouver, shows us some snow pictures from the place
12-20-2008, 03:06 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Yes, this camera is really a good camera that is getting cheaper each day. Now I am getting so excited for the new one that is going to be released ... k30d?
12-20-2008, 04:07 PM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Enjoy it's a wonderful piece of kit.

12-20-2008, 07:07 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Dubesor,

Congrats and thanks for the inquiry on the K10D; the guy who first got back to me just swung by and picked up my baby. In retrospect, it's probably better that you got the new camera as the K10D will more than meet his needs.

Now the waiting is on for my K20D order from ProD2K to be delivered (hopefully this coming week but I'm not holding my breath on it)!

QuoteOriginally posted by Dubesor Quote
Even based on very early impressions, I'm very happy with the upgrade from K100D Super to K20D. Time to put that old glass to more use.

There's snow on the ground here in Vancouver and 20cm+ more forecast overnight. It rarely snows here and it always melts right away so this is all very exciting. I'll be out there documenting. Thank you Pentax for the weather sealing
12-20-2008, 08:24 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It is with some malevolent glee that we BC interior people are viewing the snow on the south coast. Now you know what we suffer through every winter Would love to see the look on my brother's face when he gets back to YVR from Honolulu tonight...

Jack
PG
12-21-2008, 02:41 AM   #7

Here (Bellevue, 8 miles from Seattle) it's snowing crazy. I'm gonna snowboard in my street tomorrow. I might even take some pics :P

12-21-2008, 01:21 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, that snow did arrive here in full force last night. I will try to put up some pics soon.
12-21-2008, 01:31 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Funny how little they're plowing near Seattle...bet the greenies can't say SUVs are useless today ;-)
We had 12" of snow in Boston yesterday and another 3-6" today. Everything's plowed and cars are also plowed over and buried in the city (street parking sux)...it's dropping to 10F tonight so everything is going to pretty much freeze into ice blocks by tomorrow morning :-P
12-21-2008, 01:55 PM   #10
PDL
Pentaxian

not quite

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Funny how little they're plowing near Seattle...bet the greenies can't say SUVs are useless today ;-)
We had 12" of snow in Boston yesterday and another 3-6" today. Everything's plowed and cars are also plowed over and buried in the city (street parking sux)...it's dropping to 10F tonight so everything is going to pretty much freeze into ice blocks by tomorrow morning :-P
I have driven into work for the last three days (Saturday was our scheduled maintenance). Most of my fellow SUV driving co-admins are just afraid to drive when it starts snowing out here. Add into that - when you drive around and see the abandoned cars 90% are SUV's as are most of the cars in the ditch - kind of funny acutally. (Currently all three of my family's autos are AWD - for the rain/slick roads not for snow)

I traded in my AWD Eagle Talon for a Subaru Impreza hatch back (wagon in Subaru's mindset) and had no problems at all. Being raised in Wyoming without AWD -- oh so many years ago -- I do know how to drive in the snow.

As for Seattle not plowing very much - the city/county does not have all that many plows. So what would you expect? This storm is not the norm for winter in the Puget Sound. The quickest way to get stuck is to give someone who has no clue a AWD/4WD SUV, it is just funny to watch.

There are some hills/roads around here that are not snow friendly. The various cities/counties have just blocked them off. It is snowing at this minute with a good 8" base, I need to go for a walk.

We have a resident humming bird at the feeder too. Have to bring the juice in every few hours to thaw it out - half a pint over the last day --== one bird.

Big storm - the best think to do is hunker down try not to drink all the Chocolate.

Edit: On topic - the K20D is a very nice machine. I took a few yesterday during my walk. You will be happy with it. I could have taken my recovered K10D, but the K20D is just as convenient.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL

Last edited by PDL; 12-21-2008 at 01:59 PM. Reason: a little on topic line or two
12-21-2008, 03:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
The quickest way to get stuck is to give someone who has no clue a AWD/4WD SUV, it is just funny to watch.
LOL. Very true. They seem to think it makes them invincible when in reality, it means longer stopping distances because of the extra weight of the 4WD system

There are quite a few steep roads out there and curvy sections that could just get plain ugly (visited Seattle a few times). They're loads of fun in the summer though.

This is what the snow looks like outside my door this morning...had to resort to my F30 since I haven't gotten my K20D yet after selling my K10D...missed the 30% cashback by a day
Attached Images

12-21-2008, 06:45 PM   #12

I so badly want to get out and take some shots, but poor me I only have a K100, not weather sealed...yup think it's time to upgrade!

I too am in Van, mind me asking where you picked up your K20?
12-21-2008, 07:40 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats. I'm extremely pleased with mine: the K20d is leagues above what I expected to be able to get hold of any time soon.
12-21-2008, 07:57 PM   #14

I also recently made the change from K100d to K20D, and have no regrets. The K20D is an awesome camera, great feel, the additional buttions and dials suit how I use the camera and the extra resolution is handy too!
12-22-2008, 11:00 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by trinarn Quote
I so badly want to get out and take some shots, but poor me I only have a K100, not weather sealed...yup think it's time to upgrade!
I've taken some shots in rain / hail / snow before with the K100D Super. You just have to be careful and constantly shielding and wiping the body
QuoteQuote:
I too am in Van, mind me asking where you picked up your K20?
The best place around, Gastown Photo. Jack Simpson is their awesome Pentax expert. I highly recommend them. I bought the last K20D they had in stock, but I bet there's more on order. The price was great too.