Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2022, 03:56 PM   #1

Tethering Software

Hi all. I have a Pentax KP and Iím looking for tethering software that I can connect the camera to my Windows PC for astrophotography. Pentax makes an app for Apple and Android products, and they used to make software called Image Transfer 2. I see Pentax have an update for that software, but you need the original software installed before you update. And I canít find where to buy that software anymore. Is The original Image Transfer 2 software still available and from where, or is there another alternative? I also donít use Photoshop so I canít use the plugin for that product. Am I hooped? Thanks very much!

09-03-2022, 12:30 AM   #3
Pentaxian

See also Wifi Commander for Pentax - wireless remote control for your Pentax camera which is free, current, and still under development for the KP.
I've not tried it for Astro work, but it works well for many "normal" applications.
I'm currently helping the author by beta testing for a couple of minor glitches to do with Bracketing and Continuous drive settings … a new release is imminent
Do note, using wi-fi for tethering does noticeably shorten battery life, so have spare batteries available, or maybe an AC adaptor if working from home.
Enjoy
09-03-2022, 06:56 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply. I’ll have a look and give it a try!

09-03-2022, 06:58 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
See also Wifi Commander for Pentax - wireless remote control for your Pentax camera which is free, current, and still under development for the KP.
I've not tried it for Astro work, but it works well for many "normal" applications.
I'm currently helping the author by beta testing for a couple of minor glitches to do with Bracketing and Continuous drive settings … a new release is imminent
Do note, using wi-fi for tethering does noticeably shorten battery life, so have spare batteries available, or maybe an AC adaptor if working from home.
Enjoy
Thanks for your reply too. I’ll have a look at this one. I’ll watch for when it’s available for the KP too.
09-03-2022, 11:07 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by scoleopy Quote
Thanks for your reply too. Iíll have a look at this one. Iíll watch for when itís available for the KP too.
It's already available and working for the KP for "normal" stuff Ö just a couple of details needing fine tuning.
Try it, it may do all you need.
If not, the author is very open to suggestion (which is how I got involved)
09-06-2022, 12:03 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
One thing to bear in mind though. However you connect, if you have to swap batteries, you will probably need to recalibrate the gps after switching the camera off and on, which isn't going to help with framing and lining up the images. So you will really need to do all your shots with one battery (or have a battery grip). I am also working towards this and have helped with the Wifi commander development for the KP. There is a limitation on the Pentax Bulb mode which makes the use of the Wifi commander less useful. If you have a timed exposure set for bulb mode, you cant use astrotracer. If you have astrotracer running you can't select a timed exposure.
This affects the ability to have a collection of timed exposures saved in Wifi commander say to do 20 x 45 second shots, once you set astrotracer on these become available. This is to do with the camera not Wifi commander. This appears to be the same with the K1 though have only just started playing with that one.

The solution is to get a programable remote (I got a wired one for just under £20, so quite cheap). You can set your exposure time, number of exposures and delay between, press start and leave the camera to get on with it. I may of course just have a setting wrong, so if anyone can contradict my experience, please feel free.

09-11-2022, 01:35 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Further to my last post, it appears that since upgrading my KP firmware, the difficulty in using bulb mode with a timed exposure has gone away. As long as you dont use the astrotracer preset (user mode 3), but set the mode to B instead. Then ensure that B timed is set by pressing the green button on either the camera or wifi commander. When it is on, the Tv box on commander will show a time (min 10s).
Set the aperture, speed and iso then you can save to the planned shots.
It seems to prefer having no planned shots in the list before saving a new shot parameter. You can have more than one program but the new planned will go into the selected program.
You can then duplicate the shot as required. Once ready run the program and it seems fairly happy shooting away.

I have done a dummy test for now, and will try it out once i can see some stars.

Hope this helps

Last edited by stevejo; 09-12-2022 at 02:33 AM.
09-12-2022, 02:51 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for your input. So far, I’ve downloaded, installed and tried the WiFi Commander software and the test shots I’ve done with my KP seem to be working great. Now I just have to wait for some clear skies so I can hook the camera up to the telescope again and do some astrophotography. The wild fire smoke is getting worse again!