Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2008, 05:38 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
sensor cleaning

[IMG]https://www.pentaxforums.com/gallery/index.php?n=9139

I have what appears to be a small fibre or something in the middle to R/H of the picture. It appears when mostly in blue sky. Most times I can easily crop it.
I have been given a price of $185Aus to clean the sensor. I hate doing things like this myself due to being non mechinicaly minded.
Is the price expensive for a professional clean or just leave it and crop when necassary.
Thanks

Dags

Last edited by Dags; 12-21-2008 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Delete
12-21-2008, 05:51 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Go to a CameraHouse store and ask for a demonstration of the Rocket Blower on your K100.
Twenty odd bucks is better than $185 and the operation is quite easy.
12-21-2008, 05:54 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Garth I'll give it a try. I tried to upload a photo, but failed miserably. It is in the user gallery under miscellanious( brisbane city ).
12-21-2008, 06:13 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I use the Pentax cleaning kit and it is the easiest thing in the world. Takes a whole two minutes. Works great. Costs waaaaaay less than 185 kangarubles.

12-21-2008, 11:36 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I use the Pentax cleaning kit and it is the easiest thing in the world. Takes a whole two minutes. Works great. Costs waaaaaay less than 185 kangarubles.
I second the recommendation for the Pentax cleaning kit. Works fine, easy to use, and it's safe.

Richard
12-21-2008, 12:41 PM   #6
PDL
Pentaxian

My suggestion --- go here and READ the articles on cleaning.

Cleaning Digital Cameras - D-SLR Sensor Cleaning. - The Methods

Be forewarned, these people are trying to sell you their product. That said, the information is clear and simple.

Do not touch the sensor. Do not use canned air. Use only fluids and pads that are designed for cleaning sensors. Buy a rocket blower or an equivalent.

Never touch the sensor --- did I say that already? Search this forum for the multiple threads on cleaning sensors, very well covered.

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
12-21-2008, 01:12 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I found your photo, and yea it appears to be sensor dust. Follow everyone's advice...its really pretty easy to remedy.

good luck,
mark

12-21-2008, 04:11 PM   #8
Inactive Account

I recently purchased the Arctic Butterfly Brush, worked really well . The Clerk at the camera shop said if I wasn't pleased I could return it. Can't beat that! I had a small bit of pollen that my rocket blower wouldn't remove. The Arctic Butterfly took it off on the second brush and spin cycle. My procedure now is Rocket Blower, Arctic butterfly and then the Pentac ICK Kit. I am a lens changing fool in a dry dusty climate. I attempt to minimize sensor exposure but if your going to be afield it's a risk you have to live with!
12-22-2008, 12:46 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies. I will be off to the camera shop in the new year for a purchase.
Cheers all and have a Merry Xmas and Happy News Years.
12-22-2008, 05:43 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I write up a simple blog post in using Giottos Rocket Blower for normal sensor cleaning with just the blower which you can get for $10

Sensor Dust Cleaning with Giottos Rocket Blower - Hin's Tech Corner

and in the blog post, I have managed to find a youtube video how another user use the blower with a tripod. In the field, I find one hand holding the camera facing downwards and have the blower blow upwards keeping a distance from the mirror opening.

Thanks,
Hin
12-29-2008, 11:16 AM   #11

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does anyone know if this is the same as the Pentax sensor cleaner? It sure looks like it.

DLAC01 Dot Line SensorVu Cleaner Kit with Wand & Sheets, for CCD & CMOS Sensors
12-30-2008, 06:49 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slick100d Quote
Does anyone know if this is the same as the Pentax sensor cleaner? It sure looks like it.

DLAC01 Dot Line SensorVu Cleaner Kit with Wand & Sheets, for CCD & CMOS Sensors
Looks identical and half the price (well cheaper anyways). I assume there aren't too many "lollypop cleaner" manufactures out there.
12-30-2008, 10:12 AM   #13
Inactive Account

I use the rocket blower and when that won't get the dust off I use the Pentax sensor cleaning kit. they both work very well and you can get both for WELL under 185.