Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 29 Likes Search this Thread
09-09-2022, 01:22 PM   #1

K10D User Seeking Replacement Advice

Good day Pentaxforums community.

I am a SLR --> DSLR convert with my last purchase being a K10D about 15 or so years ago.

My K10D's SD slot has since failed and I'm told it's not worth repairing.

I'm seeking advice of what new body to purchase. I've accumulated some glass over the years and don't want them to not be usable. I'm also NOT looking for video features.

My glass inventory: (beyond the kit lens)
Pentax FA f1.4 50mm prime (my favorite)
Pentax FA 1:4 28-70mm
Tamron 1:4-5.6 70-300mm with tele-marco
Sigma EX Aspherical 15-30mm
MC Zenitar -K2 f2.8-16

I guess I'm looking for recommendations for a DSLR Body in the 300-500 $US used range, but maybe willing to spend a bit more for the right one.

Suggestions?

I'll probably be buying a flash and grip extender this time around also.

Edit/Add - I'd prefer one with the weather resistant seals like my K10d has. And yes I know the lens is part of that and some of my lens don't have that, but every once in a while I shoot photos at active fire scenes. Also surprised to see some models don't have the pop up flash anymore. Periodically used that with the shorter lenses.

Last edited by Sig20JLB; 09-09-2022 at 06:28 PM.
09-09-2022, 02:19 PM - 1 Like   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sig20JLB Quote
. . . I'm seeking advice of what new body to purchase. I've accumulated some glass over the years and don't want them to not be usable. . . .
My glass inventory: (beyond the kit lens)
Pentax -FA f1.4 50mm prime (my favorite)
Pentax FA 1:4 28-70mm
Tamron 1:4-5.6 70-300mm with tele-marco
Sigma EX Aspherical 15-30mm
MC Zenitar -K2 f2.8-16 . . .
this chart will show you how the various lens series work with various Pentax DSLR

QuoteQuote:
Pentax K-mount Lens Compatibility Chart
Copyright 2006-2020 Mosphotos.com. All rights reserved.

Pentax bayonet lenses labeled "SMC Pentax" are referred to as "K" lenses in the table below. Other Pentax bayonet lenses have the lens designation as a part of their name as in "SMC Pentax-FA".
Note that "star" lenses work like their "non-star" counterparts unless they are singled out in the table below. So for compatibility of a DA* lens which is not singled out, look under DA lenses, etc.
Exceptions: FA and F "soft" lenses behave like M lenses in terms of metering. . . .

this tool will let you compare cameras side by side

Pentax K-5 II vs. Pentax K-3 II vs. Pentax K-70 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com
09-09-2022, 02:19 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum!

I have been shooting with the latest and greatest Pentax models, except for the newest K-3 III, a model built for speed which I don't need. It also is tops for higher ISO use, but my KP is second only to it in that department among Pentax APS-C designs.

But these are well above your budget- just bringing them up for purposes of comparison against suggestions for other models. Your stated budget is around "300-500" but do not say which country you live in. Is this $300-500 USD? If so, you might consider a new camera instead of used by getting a new K-70. B&H is offering this camera at a very good price. It can come very close to the KP for low light/higher ISO use, and in image quality. B&H is also a high-volume dealership, which means you'd be getting a camera from a current manufacturing lot. Early batch new K-70 cameras still had the ongoing occasional aperture control failure rather common among several previous non-flagship models. Pentax finally made a design correction of the problematic solenoid which has been implemented in later K-70 shipments. The K-70 is more compact than flagship models, and with more controls in menus yet still user-friendly due to a quick link system, but has many other useful features, including its articulating rear screen.

If going this route, you might also consider the pre-packaged kit which includes the DA 18-135mm WR lens, at a terrific savings for that very fine, very useful zoom lens. It also features silent, very fast, and accurate AF, and can even do very good closeups. I notice none of your zoom lenses offer both tele and wide angle in the same lens, because they were designed for 35 mm film use. WR means the lens has weather-resistant seals, matching the WR design of the camera. A camera designed having WR (like your K10D) is not functionally so unless having a WR lens on it. To get into a new WR DSLR design with Nikon or Canon, you'd be shopping in the $1,000+ range, and another $1,000+ for a WR lens! You can find some good examples in the SLR lens section of the forum in a thread entitled "DA 18-135mm WR- Show us what it ca do" starting with the last page (most recent) and work backwards.

Otherwise, if you wish to stick with a former flagship design like your K10D, all of which are without the troublesome solenoid part, I still like my K-5 IIs. It is much better than the K10D for low light/high ISO use, and still provides very fine IQ. The "s" means it omits having the common AA filter for better fine detail in images. All subsequent Pentax models, the next being the K-3, are without the AA filter as well. I believe you could probably find either a used low-shutter count K-5 IIs or K-3 for a price fitting your stated budget.

Last edited by mikesbike; 09-09-2022 at 02:44 PM.
09-09-2022, 02:19 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm very happy with my K5iis, so something in that range, K5ii or K5iis, would be my recommendation. Be aware that those cameras cannot use the modern KAF4 mount lenses. However, they do avoid the dreaded aperture block failure.
happy hunting!

09-09-2022, 02:27 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by allanmh Quote
I'm very happy with my K5iis, so something in that range, K5ii or K5iis, would be my recommendation. Be aware that those cameras cannot use the modern KAF4 mount lenses. However, they do avoid the dreaded aperture block failure.
happy hunting!
I am thinking about putting my K-5ii on the market place here (but earliest it may happen would be 7-10 days from now). But honestly speaking $300-500 may buy K3ii nowadays.
09-09-2022, 03:13 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

I guess I'm looking for recommendations for a DSLR Body in the 300-500 used range, but maybe willing to spend a bit more for the right one.

Suggestions?

I'll probably be buying a flash and grip extender this time around also.

The requirement for the "grip extender" rules out the K-70 … the KP is likely to be out of budget, especially with grip, so that leaves one of the K-5's or an older K-3.
Good luck
09-09-2022, 04:18 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for both those reference items. I really hadn't kept up with the new models coming out so didn't know where to start.

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
this chart will show you how the various lens series work with various Pentax DSLR

this tool will let you compare cameras side by side

Pentax K-5 II vs. Pentax K-3 II vs. Pentax K-70 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

---------- Post added 09-09-2022 at 07:24 PM ----------

Thanks for the supplier and kit advice. I don't think I need the AA, considering my last camera was 10 MP and I rarely went super high ISO anyway. I'll check out both those models you suggested and edited my original post to reflect US dollars.

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Welcome to the forum!

I have been shooting with the latest and greatest Pentax models, except for the newest K-3 III, a model built for speed which I don't need. It also is tops for higher ISO use, but my KP is second only to it in that department among Pentax APS-C designs.

But these are well above your budget- just bringing them up for purposes of comparison against suggestions for other models. Your stated budget is around "300-500" but do not say which country you live in. Is this $300-500 USD? If so, you might consider a new camera instead of used by getting a new K-70. B&H is offering this camera at a very good price. It can come very close to the KP for low light/higher ISO use, and in image quality. B&H is also a high-volume dealership, which means you'd be getting a camera from a current manufacturing lot. Early batch new K-70 cameras still had the ongoing occasional aperture control failure rather common among several previous non-flagship models. Pentax finally made a design correction of the problematic solenoid which has been implemented in later K-70 shipments. The K-70 is more compact than flagship models, and with more controls in menus yet still user-friendly due to a quick link system, but has many other useful features, including its articulating rear screen.

If going this route, you might also consider the pre-packaged kit which includes the DA 18-135mm WR lens, at a terrific savings for that very fine, very useful zoom lens. It also features silent, very fast, and accurate AF, and can even do very good closeups. I notice none of your zoom lenses offer both tele and wide angle in the same lens, because they were designed for 35 mm film use. WR means the lens has weather-resistant seals, matching the WR design of the camera. A camera designed having WR (like your K10D) is not functionally so unless having a WR lens on it. To get into a new WR DSLR design with Nikon or Canon, you'd be shopping in the $1,000+ range, and another $1,000+ for a WR lens! You can find some good examples in the SLR lens section of the forum in a thread entitled "DA 18-135mm WR- Show us what it ca do" starting with the last page (most recent) and work backwards.

Otherwise, if you wish to stick with a former flagship design like your K10D, all of which are without the troublesome solenoid part, I still like my K-5 IIs. It is much better than the K10D for low light/high ISO use, and still provides very fine IQ. The "s" means it omits having the common AA filter for better fine detail in images. All subsequent Pentax models, the next being the K-3, are without the AA filter as well. I believe you could probably find either a used low-shutter count K-5 IIs or K-3 for a price fitting your stated budget.

---------- Post added 09-09-2022 at 07:24 PM ----------

Thanks for the supplier and kit advice. I don't think I need the AA, considering my last camera was 10 MP and I rarely went super high ISO anyway. I'll check out both those models you suggested and edited my original post to reflect US dollars.

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Welcome to the forum!

---------- Post added 09-09-2022 at 07:27 PM ----------

Why are you selling your body and would you be parting with any accessories as well?

QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
I am thinking about putting my K-5ii on the market place here (but earliest it may happen would be 7-10 days from now). But honestly speaking $300-500 may buy K3ii nowadays.

09-09-2022, 05:29 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Pentaxian

Sounds like a used Pentax K-5IIs is right up your alley.

That or a new K-70.
09-09-2022, 05:47 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why are you selling your body and would you be parting with any accessories as well?
Since I bought a used KP a year ago K5II does not get enough use. I may put for a sale with it kit lens 18-55 WR version but I do not have a grip which you are looking for.
09-09-2022, 06:08 PM   #10

Original Poster
I was planning on buying the grip seperately, it would just be a bonus if it came with it. Let me know if you put it up.

QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
Since I bought a used KP a year ago K5II does not get enough use. I may put for a sale with it kit lens 18-55 WR version but I do not have a grip which you are looking for.

---------- Post added 09-09-2022 at 09:21 PM ----------

So unless I go back 6 years I realize even used I'm looking at more then $500 US for any of the current models. I liked a lot of what I read and people spoke about the K70, are there any quality aftermarket grips out there?
09-09-2022, 06:29 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Buy the newest Pentax model that you can afford, each new model has advancements over the previous model release. Any of them are going to be light years advanced over the K10D.
09-09-2022, 07:02 PM   #12

Since you got so many vintage 35mm format lenses, used K-1 would be great
09-09-2022, 07:17 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As you have a dead camera with the white solenoid. A K70 with ABF might be cheap enough to allow for extra batteries and another lense?
09-09-2022, 07:26 PM   #14

Original Poster
Why the K-1? Does it have a better sensor size for the old 35mm designed lenses?

QuoteOriginally posted by Hayashi Quote

---------- Post added 09-09-2022 at 10:27 PM ----------

Why the K-1? Does it have a better sensor size for the old 35mm designed lenses?

QuoteQuote:
09-09-2022, 07:36 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K1 is FF which is the 35mm film size. Probably way out of your budget. Or you might get lucky.