Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-10-2022, 06:48 AM - 1 Like   #16
Forum Member

I might have relevant experience. I used a k3 ii since it came out, and recently replaced it with a K3 iii.

Haven't actually sold the K3 ii, so as your wife might be, I'm keeping the K3 ii as my backup.

There have been two occasions when I'm shooting in a fast-moving dusty environment and don't want to change lenses. So the new camera, which is FAR better at continuous autofocus – has the 55-300PLM mounted, and the older camera has the 16-85. I don't actually find it hard swapping between. But then I tend to use the user menus to set up for various circumstances rather than diving into the menus.

So I don't think she'd find it hard to transition.

And for portraits and newborns, the eye-focus ability of the k3 iii might be a real help.

Best

Paul

09-10-2022, 07:19 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HeadsUp7Up Quote
4. The older K3 bodies are still very capable cameras that produce outstanding work. Since they are out of production my business sense tells me to modernize. Like EssJayEff says, she can work with it outside of operating hours until she feels comfortable changing.

5. She is very organized and doesn’t do well with sudden change so maybe an affordable K3 in the interim for familiarity and a Mk iii to get aquatinted with for the future.
There you go! If you can afford it, this sounds just about perfect.
09-10-2022, 07:28 AM - 1 Like   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Paul_R_H Quote

And for portraits and newborns, the eye-focus ability of the k3 iii might be a real help.

Best

Paul
I didn’t know the Mk iii had this! It’s definitely worth having as I had it on my past cameras and also on my current one.
09-10-2022, 10:49 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The difference in menus should only be a problem if her work is the type where split second timing is required, something to be aware of but not something to keep one from purchasing the K3iii, which as others have mentioned, is the most advanced camera currently released by Pentax.

Barring that idea, the KP mentioned on the PF marketplace is a great deal. I really like using the KP when the K-1 is more than I want to lug around.

09-10-2022, 11:14 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I appreciate all the discussion and various opinions. Just a couple of thoughts after reading all of the comments.

1. She’s handled the K1 and didn’t like it at all for her hand size so that’s a no go for us.

2. She does slower studio or not fast paced photography so it wouldn’t be the end of the world to mentally switch gears to switch bodies. That being said, if you’ve got 30+ headshots to do you want to consistency not only for yourself but also your client.

3. I like the idea of the KP but dual card slots is a must. It’s just like having a second body, you don’t wish you had it until you need it.

4. The older K3 bodies are still very capable cameras that produce outstanding work. Since they are out of production my business sense tells me to modernize. Like EssJayEff says, she can work with it outside of operating hours until she feels comfortable changing.

5. She is very organized and doesn’t do well with sudden change so maybe an affordable K3 in the interim for familiarity and a Mk iii to get aquatinted with for the future.

I’ve always liked reading this forum due to the thoughtful members and helpfulness. Thanks again and I will update you all with what we decide to do. It might help someone else out in a similar situation in the future.
With this in mind - I would suggest grabbing a K-3iii even with the "sudden change" avoidance. She can continue using the K-3 as her primary and start experimenting with the K3iii - and if this proves annoying she could resell it or return it and get a used K-3 for backup (or a K-3ii if she never uses the pop up flash). You can always add a K3 or K3ii as an additional backup but I think just getting the K-3iii is sufficient backup for starters.
09-10-2022, 11:46 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I didn’t know the Mk iii had this! It’s definitely worth having as I had it on my past cameras and also on my current one.
I would say let her try this feature on your camera to see what she thinks of it. If it is enough of a deal-maker to put up with learning the new camera's differences. Perhaps no one has mentioned the low light/higher ISO superior performance of the new model, or if this would be an advantage for her work. Its upgraded VF is also a special attraction. Otherwise, since she is so satisfied with the K-3, nothing wrong with getting another low-use copy! At lower ISO settings, image quality from the K-3 is very similar to that from the new K-3 III.

To any of you K-3 III users- how well do you find this eye-focus feature to function on this camera?
09-10-2022, 01:20 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

.....She’s about to start traveling for work ....
If location matters:

The K-3II has integrated gps and hence tags pictures with location info.
The mark III can do this also but needs Bluetooth and a phone connected...

Note: considering myself a backup K-3II, I see plenty secondhand offerings for K-70, KP, some K-3 but few to none K-3II (in Europe). Demo models of K3markIII are more easily available...
Currently using a K-70.

09-10-2022, 02:23 PM - 1 Like   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
YES, this is the answer.

A good used K3 for her to use immediately as a back up AND a K3/3 for you to test out as equipment manager and her to use on non professional shoots, so she can gradually get the best that the brand can offer(in crop).Used K3/3s are popping up so explore that avenue is a good idea if you want to lower outlay.
09-10-2022, 07:27 PM - 3 Likes   #24

Original Poster
So we talked through it today and found a path forward. I bought a K3 off the marketplace here to use as an immediate backup and she loved the idea of getting a K3 iii to use in the background until it’s ready for prime time. Thanks for the useful and thoughtful replies here!
09-10-2022, 11:15 PM - 1 Like   #25

So we talked through it today and found a path forward. I bought a K3 off the marketplace here to use as an immediate backup and she loved the idea of getting a K3 iii to use in the background until it’s ready for prime time. Thanks for the useful and thoughtful replies here!
She will love the k3/3 and will be using it all the time.
09-11-2022, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

She shoots newborns, corporate headshots, and architecture so speed of shooting isn’t an issue.
I shot weddings from 2004-2008. At the time I was shooting Canon system and had Canon APSc bodies until I got the 5D FF body. One early decision saved me a lot of time and grief. I always had two identical bodies at all times. The reason was that I did not want to fumble with a different set of dials and menu layouts. When I finally went back to Pentax, I ordered the K5IIs followed by a K3 and a second K3 shortly after that. By this time I was not shooting weddings and most of my gigs were corporate type projects. As such, speed was not as important anymore. I later bought the K1 but did not buy a backup for it as I used one of the K3s for back up. The beauty of my Pentax set up was that I never had to use my back up bodies. My primary cameras never failed me, not even once in almost 6 or 7 years of shooting with Pentax system.

My suggestion is to get another K3 to have two identical bodies. K1 is a beast and a low light dream camera. The K3, not so much. If she encounters a lot of low light situations, having to bump up the ISO, she would benefit from the K3III a lot. A second K3 would be the cheapest option, double K3III would be the most expensive. You have a lot of choices. Used K1 and KP for low light with APSc and FF capability. Double K3IIIs for APSc only with excellent low light capability. Or as suggested earlier one used K3 for the cheapest option cost wise.
09-11-2022, 01:27 PM - 2 Likes   #27
Veteran Member

A fine choice! It is true that the system of controls of the new K-3 III is quite different from that of the K-3. I have both the KP and the K-1 II which have similar controls, as does the new K-3 III, and I also still use my old K-5 IIs which has controls more along the lines of the K-3. It took a little while for me to familiarize myself enough so I was completely at home with the new system of controls, and using either system in order to switch from one camera to the other without hesitancy. There is still enough in common so getting to the point of comfort with either is probably not problematic for most people.

---------- Post added 09-11-22 at 01:28 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
K-3 MkIII+DA*300/4+HD1.4TC (420mm), handheld, native light close crop, minimal PP, LRC+NIK...

Feel free to "click" through to the original on Flickr and zoom in for a peek at its pupil.

You be the judge... M
That's impressive! Very nice shot.
09-11-2022, 02:56 PM   #28
Pentaxian

3. I like the idea of the KP but dual card slots is a must. It’s just like having a second body, you don’t wish you had it until you need it.
You can achieve that as well by having a spare SD-card in a coat pocket or the camera bag or in both, than you have three bodies....
I used the K-3 Mark II and replaced it by the KP and missed the dual card slot not at all. And never needed it. Fun to have, but not essential.
09-11-2022, 04:40 PM - 1 Like   #29

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
You can achieve that as well by having a spare SD-card in a coat pocket or the camera bag or in both, than you have three bodies....
I used the K-3 Mark II and replaced it by the KP and missed the dual card slot not at all. And never needed it. Fun to have, but not essential.
It’s essential in the sense that at the time of shooting both cards are mirror images of each other. If something were to happen to the data on one card then the other has an exact copy. When you’re shooting infants, buildings before they open, and location shoots; it’s rare you get a second chance if your card goes bad when you get home.

---------- Post added 09-11-22 at 11:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
K-3 MkIII+DA*300/4+HD1.4TC (420mm), handheld, native light close crop, minimal PP, LRC+NIK...

Feel free to "click" through to the original on Flickr and zoom in for a peek at its pupil.

You be the judge... M
Absolutely beautiful image!
09-12-2022, 12:57 AM   #30
Pentaxian

It’s essential in the sense that at the time of shooting both cards are mirror images of each other. If something were to happen to the data on one card then the other has an exact copy. When you’re shooting infants, buildings before they open, and location shoots; it’s rare you get a second chance if your card goes bad when you get home.
If that is the case you have only one option: Buy the new K-3 Mark III. You should not have been thinking about buying a second hand body at all. If reliability is of the essence, you must buy a new one, not a second hand, because the camera body is the center of your productivity. And if your wife (and you?) take some time to copy the settings of the old K-3 to the new one she can use it straight away and you have upgraded her business hopefully with upgraded results!