Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 57 Likes Search this Thread
09-12-2022, 04:36 AM - 1 Like   #31

Whether considered obsolete or not, the K3 is probably the best bang for the bucks out there and I'll be using mine until such time as it fails to operate! The K3 is entirely capable of doing what she is currently doing, especially since she is already using one and a second one as a backup makes a lot of sense to me. No menu changes, all accessories are compatible, and it's a pretty straight forward choice that would save a lot of money without lacking in performance. As long as the K3 is giving her the results she wants and needs, why spend a bunch of money? However, if the "Gas" syndrome for getting something new is unavoidable, I think I'd consider making the move to full frame rather than the newer crop frame camera. It's your choice, but the K3 is still a lot of camera and in the right hands it can produce remarkable photography. Good luck and good shooting to all.

09-13-2022, 06:13 AM - 1 Like   #32

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Mark II Quote
If that is the case you have only one option: Buy the new K-3 Mark III. You should not have been thinking about buying a second hand body at all. If reliability is of the essence, you must buy a new one, not a second hand, because the camera body is the center of your productivity. And if your wife (and you?) take some time to copy the settings of the old K-3 to the new one she can use it straight away and you have upgraded her business hopefully with upgraded results!
Disagree completely. Dual card slots is about data redundancy, not mechanical equipment failure.
09-13-2022, 07:52 AM - 1 Like   #33

Two card slots is the professional standard.

Granted I haven't read all of the posts, but it wasn't mentioned in the 15 or so that I did read. The K3-III has two card slots, which should be a must for a professional shooter these days.

"Storage Medium: SD, SDHC and SDXC Memory Cards UHS-1/UHS-II compatible (UHS-II is only available for the memory card inserted in the SD1 slot.)
Dual SD Slot: Sequential Use, Save to Both, Separate RAW/JPG, Image copy between slots possible"

And, of course, she can use all lof her favourite lenses.

Last edited by John-TO; 11-04-2022 at 11:32 AM. Reason: spelling
09-13-2022, 08:22 AM - 1 Like   #34

I understand your wife's desire to stay with the K3 size. The K3 was my primary camera until the K-1 came out. Now the K-1 and a second K-1 MkII are my primary cameras with the K3 as the backup. Yes, the K-1 is a beast compared to the K3. With arthritic hands the K-1 is often very tiresome and painful after a day of shooting. Since my condition is not going to get better, I often use with the K-1 with small primes (the Three Amigos: FA 31, FA43, FA77 Limiteds). These lenses work and handle really well with the K-1 and I find this to be a much more comfortable for my aging hands. The added pixel count of the K-1 may prove to be of significant value for her UWA architectural imaging. I have large hands and actually find the K-1 more comfortable to handle than the smaller K3. I use to often add the K3 battery grip without the battery just for more size. Also for my aging hands, adding the Peak Design Clutch to the K-1 bodies (and K3 body) offers a added comfort level in shooting and handling of both bodies. Have her try a K-1 with a smaller lens and see if it appeals to her. If not, as her equipment manager, advise her go to the latest tech to update your equipment with the K3iii.

09-13-2022, 09:06 AM - 1 Like   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by HeadsUp7Up Quote
Disagree completely. Dual card slots is about data redundancy, not mechanical equipment failure.
I was thinking of malfunctioning of a card slot that does not lead to getting a warning on your screen. You never know what you are buying second hand, because you do not know why it is sold. With a new camera you usually will not have troubles with the card slots, with a used one the chances are greater. And as it is for earning a living, reliability is of the essence and so I would buy a new camera, not a second hand. But as a equipment manager you should know best.
09-13-2022, 11:20 AM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K3iii

Go with the K3iii. You won't regret the decision!
09-13-2022, 12:03 PM - 1 Like   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, the second K-3 is already bought, and appears to be a rational choice to me. The way these Pentax flagship bodies are built makes a low-use copy also a low risk copy. Especially with a return agreement.

As to the 2nd card slot issue, some never use the two slots, depending on what they shoot and their shooting style. Some in the 35mm film days carried 2 or 3 loaded cameras. The OP says the 2 card slot feature has been important for his wife in her work, so this need will now be enhanced. Her backup has been the K-x (!), so this will be a major advancement as it is. Talk about a difference in controls when using two cameras... and much more! Now there will be uniformity in use and in results.

And, the future is still open to a K-3 III. Acquired ahead of time to become acquainted with the difference in controls, etc. it would remain to be determined how much the special attributes of the K-3 III will mean to her working experience. Perhaps she will notice no difference at all, or very little, or perhaps she will find much to appreciate, and perhaps in the meantime the price will come down yet further.

Last edited by mikesbike; 09-13-2022 at 12:30 PM.
09-13-2022, 12:42 PM - 1 Like   #38

I find that having similar menus and controls makes it a lot easier to switch between cameras, so if she is keeping the K3, the best solution would be another K3 or a K3ii.
A few years ago I was using a K5 and decided to upgrade to a K3ii, but keep the K5 as a second body for use whenever I needed flash (the K3ii has gps but no built in flash). However, the menus are quite different and I found switching between them very difficult, so ended up replacing the K5 with a used K3.
Now I switch between K3 and K3ii without a hitch. They are so similar in use that I sometimes have to check to see which one I am shooting with!
09-13-2022, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #39

If you have DA lenses, stick to the crop sensor. If you have the dfa or FA lenses, prices are pretty even between the k3iii and k1markii.

I love the full frame but understand that a drawer of great DA glass won't work well with it.

If you want your kit to be interchangeable, stick to the same sensor size.

If money isn't the worry and lenses are in grand abundance... the k1ii would be a great investment into her career.
09-13-2022, 04:19 PM - 2 Likes   #40

Original Poster
Just another courtesy update as I can’t stand it when OP’s barely participate in their own thread.

I hear everyone loud and clear on suggestions. We’ve got a path forward with a second K3 body showing up Thursday and I actually plan to have a K3 iii no later than the end of next month.

Like everything in life you’ve got to weigh risks and cost benefit analysis. We’ll more than likely end up with a couple of mark 3’s when it’s all said and done but we have to plan out gear acquisitions with cash flow. This seems like the most affordable path forward to immediately get the redundancy we need without disrupting our current workflow. Everyone here knows it’s something that should have been done a long time ago; I’m just happy it didn’t bite us in the a$$ before we corrected it.

Also I’m a big fan of full frame as that’s what I shoot after leaving micro four-thirds. My (many) attempts to convert her to the K-1 full-frame dark side have gone unsuccessful.
09-13-2022, 06:38 PM   #41
Veteran Member

K1 series have a much larger sensor I have k5'2 and canon and I wouldn't consider a k3 they have a tiny sensor whit high resolution so my K5 possibly has an as good inage as the k3 the k1 range has a massive high resolution sensor but then again it also depends on the comfort in her hands as well as you can see I haven't used a ki or k3 series just did a comparison of the camera spec online. Canon 600D vs Pentax K-3 Detailed Comparison you can change the camera's to compare spec. Remember a large sensor with low resolution may be the same as a small sensor with high resolution or possibly not as good.My go to camera now is a canon 450D and I use k5'2 as well when I have time for lense changing and as I love sunsets there really isn't time to change a lens as you may miss that special moment in time if you shoot sunsets you will understand what I mean. Encourage her to get the k3 then she will want the k1 series.

Last edited by Kombivan; 09-13-2022 at 06:50 PM.
09-13-2022, 06:51 PM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Very late to the party and the decision is already done.

Would have pointed out THE key difference in my opinion between the 3 versions of the K-3 is the pop-up flash on the first version. Yes, I realize how seldom your spouse might use that flash as a primary lighting device. However, it is also a wireless flash controller. It might be one less flash unit needed to be transported when doing work outside a studio.

Sure came in handy when we flew on vacation and my daughter asked for a head shot out of the blue for her new business. Found a nice spot outside in the shade to reduce contrast and a backdrop of sunlite foliage, used my wife as a light stand with my 540 (only external flash with me) to duplicate background sun angles on the foliage, and the K-3's pop-up did fill and controlled the 540. Dad can still fix anything... maybe.
09-13-2022, 08:23 PM - 1 Like   #43
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-3 III menu

QuoteOriginally posted by HeadsUp7Up Quote
I appreciate the comments and sound advice. I tried talking her into the K1 before but she really couldn’t get along with the size so I’d say that’s out. I hadn’t thought about the menus being different on the mk iii and she is a creature of habit so having to relearn an entire menu system is something I need to float out there and get a reaction.

At the same time I agree getting the most recent body because it just makes sense from a practical standpoint. Maybe get the Mk iii and she can slowly learn it over time and use the original K3 until she feels comfortable enough to retire it to standby use. With the recent deals and used bodies popping up the new camera may be the smartest choice in the long run.

Thanks for the replies. I have some some research to do and some talking points for us to talk through now.
I just purchased a 3 last week. The menu is different and it took me a while to get used to it. I went to the zoo today in challenging lower light conditions with cloudy skies and a tree canopy. This camera is probably a stop to 1 1/2 stops better than the regular K-3. I read the shake reduction has been improved also. So I would say if you have to work in more challenging lighting conditions, go ahead with it. I'm keeping my copy.
09-13-2022, 11:29 PM - 1 Like   #44

I would go for the K3iii. I use my K1ii for architecture and interiors and the articulated screen is invaluable but it is much heavier. If the K3iii had the same rear screen it would be the equal of the K1! In every other respect the images I get from my K3iii are superb - and much better than my old K3 that I traded in. Either way, the new camera will be worth it and surely is tax allowable for the business.
09-14-2022, 11:33 PM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Would have pointed out THE key difference in my opinion between the 3 versions of the K-3 is the pop-up flash on the first version. Yes, I realize how seldom your spouse might use that flash as a primary lighting device. However, it is also a wireless flash controller. It might be one less flash unit needed to be transported when doing work outside a studio.
An interesting and valid point, and yet another aspect the built-in flash can be good for. i have used it for this very purpose. For me, its uses are there for this, for daylight fill flash, and much more. However, there are those whose habitual usage would never benefit from having one.