Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 57 Likes Search this Thread
09-15-2022, 04:38 AM   #46

As you have a k3 I suppose the majority of your lenses are DA lenses. As mentioned earlier your wife does not like the handling size of the K1
My opinions in short:
K3 III the best Pentax Ricoh has to offer regarding IQ and features. The sensor output is one of the best in the industry. If shooting a lot in available light I would steer towards this body. Indeed the handling menu system is completely different compared to the K3(II) and when I first got it I was more or less thinking that I need at least an advanced degree in computer technology to use the camera. After a couple of months everything works fine. The most bugging feature is the different way the body confirms the focusing point into the viewfinder not a blinking dot. I find in some cases to be difficult to find the focusing point.

KP as mentioned by other forum members, the quality of the sensor output is a little less compared to the K3 III but not by a large margin. The body is smaller and has a tilting screen with could be beneficial in some situations. The menu system has the same "classic" familiarity, button placement is somehow different but a very nice body. The main battery is different, smaller than what is used in K7-K5-K3-K1 bodies, unless you use the optional battery grip. The AF system behaves mostly the same as the Pentax legacy bodies K3-K3 II. If used as a backup, second body consider having 2 different battery sets and chargers.

K3 & K3 II you know what you have the main difference is the flash vs GPS debate. I do not think you need to track your newborns :-) The sensor, CPU in low light conditions is starting to showing its age and the above mentioned cameras behave much better at high iso as does de K-70.

K5 II(s) is still a good backup although not compatible with the new KAF4 PLM lenses.

From what I read you do not make any difference regarding a back-up body or second body. My interpretation of a back-up body is a camera lens you use in an emergency and is always ready and is checked on a regular base. I am of the opinion the use is as a second body. In these conditions I would steer towards 2 identical camera bodies for ease of use in the heat of the moment. For slower paced shooting I would not consider this as a problem.

In the past 20 years I am using digital cameras I had more camera failures than memory card failures! The last body that failed on me fried both of my memory cards... I am much of a believer of having a second body.