Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 57 Likes Search this Thread
09-09-2022, 05:21 PM   #1

K3, K3ii, or K3iii for Second Body

I’ve been a lurker for a while and it’s time I finally solicit help from the community. My wife has a photography business using a K3 as her primary camera. She’s about to start traveling for work and it’s time to get her a better backup body than her Kx to take on the road. As her official equipment manager I’m torn on what to get as I only have experience with micro four-thirds and I currently shoot Canon. Should we go with a used but very affordable K3 or K3ii; or should we bite the bullet and transition to a Mk iii and make the K3 the backup? She shoots newborns, corporate headshots, and architecture so speed of shooting isn’t an issue. Thanks in advance and let me know if I need to add any additional info.

09-09-2022, 06:18 PM - 5 Likes   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi and welcome back.

At first glance, a K-3iii would seem to be the best choice, if budget permits (I love the title "official equipment manager") and the existing K-3 can become the backup camera.
Another option, if she has full-frame capable lenses, would be to look for a K-1ii which can, usually, be had for less than a new K-3iii.

Both are excellent cameras and would be my first and second choices.
09-09-2022, 06:24 PM - 3 Likes   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My advice is always to go for the most advanced camera in the system that you can afford, if that's the K3III, then buy it. That way it will stay relevant much longer.
09-09-2022, 06:55 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have both the K3 and K3-III.

While the III takes really nice pictures, I have found on several occasions that the menu of the III is maddingly different from the K-3. Most notably when selecting the 2 second shooting delay (got used to this fairly quickly) but trying to set a custom white balance drives me nuts. The K3-III has perhaps the most arcane way to do this that I have ever seen.

On that basis, if your wife is happy with the results she gets from her K-3. I'd suggest sticking with the known, and just getting another one.

On the other hand, as MarkJerling suggests, it might be time to upgrade to a K-1 (or K-1-II). I have the K-1, too, and the menu there is very similar to that of the K-3. Not much learning curve. You (She!) may need new full-frame lenses, though.

09-09-2022, 06:57 PM - 2 Likes   #5

If it is for business, the most advanced K-3III would be the only best choice.

Both K-3 and K-3II are obsolete for current standard
09-09-2022, 07:33 PM - 1 Like   #6

Original Poster
I appreciate the comments and sound advice. I tried talking her into the K1 before but she really couldn’t get along with the size so I’d say that’s out. I hadn’t thought about the menus being different on the mk iii and she is a creature of habit so having to relearn an entire menu system is something I need to float out there and get a reaction.

At the same time I agree getting the most recent body because it just makes sense from a practical standpoint. Maybe get the Mk iii and she can slowly learn it over time and use the original K3 until she feels comfortable enough to retire it to standby use. With the recent deals and used bodies popping up the new camera may be the smartest choice in the long run.

Thanks for the replies. I have some some research to do and some talking points for us to talk through now.
09-09-2022, 08:06 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I assume she uses the camera often, so she should learn the new menu system quickly; K3-III also offers plenty of presets, in her case that should be very helpful.

09-09-2022, 08:50 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would ask her. There’s a lot to be said for having the same menus and having the same controls. The k-3ii is virtually the same as the k-3. It adds pixel shift and gps but loses the flash.

If it’s for work I’d say more than one spare unless the body is new and available for replacement easily.

The image quality at lower iso of the k-3 is excellent. The types of photography your wife is doing are typically done with controlled lighting and or in outside good lighting. Both typically at low iso.
09-10-2022, 03:33 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Bite the bullet and get two K3IIIs. You need something that will support her business into the future.
09-10-2022, 03:52 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by HeadsUp7Up Quote
I’ve been a lurker for a while and it’s time I finally solicit help from the community. My wife has a photography business using a K3 as her primary camera. She’s about to start traveling for work and it’s time to get her a better backup body than her Kx to take on the road. As her official equipment manager I’m torn on what to get as I only have experience with micro four-thirds and I currently shoot Canon. Should we go with a used but very affordable K3 or K3ii; or should we bite the bullet and transition to a Mk iii and make the K3 the backup? She shoots newborns, corporate headshots, and architecture so speed of shooting isn’t an issue. Thanks in advance and let me know if I need to add any additional info.
Although some people may find the K-3 (II) obsolete, I would choose either another K-3 (but not the Mark III) or a K-1 Mark II. There is not so much difference in handling this camera's from the K-3 she uses at the moment. The K-3 Mark III is a very different camera. Another choice is the KP which has better IQ than the K-3 Mark II. It is a light camera with a lot of new technology compared to the K-3 (II) and has some technology which was later incorporated in the K-1 Mark II, like the accelerator and the 5 axis SR. I prefer the KP over the K-3 Mark III. The K-1 Mark II will do as well, but that is a fullframe camera and best results you get with fullframe lenses. With the K-3 (II) or KP, which will give her a familiar feel, you can keep on using your APS-C lenses with no problem at all. As you will see that through firmware Ricoh is more or less still experimenting with the K-3 Mark III, the older K-3's and KP are much more stable products, and during a shoot she should not be surprised too much by different handling of a camera. The KP could be the main camera and the older K-3 the backup.
09-10-2022, 03:54 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Hayashi Quote
If it is for business, the most advanced K-3III would be the only best choice.

Both K-3 and K-3II are obsolete for current standard
Which standard?
09-10-2022, 04:06 AM - 2 Likes   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just an FYI: MPB has a “like new” KP for sale with a shutter count of less than 700 if that model is of interest to you.
09-10-2022, 06:13 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you decide on the K-3 III, she could use the new camera for nonbusiness photography as a way to learn the new menus, then transition to using the new camera as her primary work camera once she feels comfortable with it.
09-10-2022, 06:22 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by EssJayEff Quote
If you decide on the K-3 III, she could use the new camera for nonbusiness photography as a way to learn the new menus, then transition to using the new camera as her primary work camera once she feels comfortable with it.
That might help, but I think that for professional work switching back to the k-3 (as a backup, 2nd body) might be disruptive. It’s not necessarily a problem, but it is a consideration that is worth considering.
09-10-2022, 06:40 AM - 3 Likes   #15

Original Poster
I appreciate all the discussion and various opinions. Just a couple of thoughts after reading all of the comments.

1. She’s handled the K1 and didn’t like it at all for her hand size so that’s a no go for us.

2. She does slower studio or not fast paced photography so it wouldn’t be the end of the world to mentally switch gears to switch bodies. That being said, if you’ve got 30+ headshots to do you want to consistency not only for yourself but also your client.

3. I like the idea of the KP but dual card slots is a must. It’s just like having a second body, you don’t wish you had it until you need it.

4. The older K3 bodies are still very capable cameras that produce outstanding work. Since they are out of production my business sense tells me to modernize. Like EssJayEff says, she can work with it outside of operating hours until she feels comfortable changing.

5. She is very organized and doesn’t do well with sudden change so maybe an affordable K3 in the interim for familiarity and a Mk iii to get aquatinted with for the future.

I’ve always liked reading this forum due to the thoughtful members and helpfulness. Thanks again and I will update you all with what we decide to do. It might help someone else out in a similar situation in the future.