Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-14-2022, 02:12 PM   #1

What am I doing wrong with the K3-mk iii?

So I’ve had the K3-mk iii for about a week. So far, I’m significantly underwhelmed with the performance, and I’m sure it’s something I’m not doing.

It’s my first ‘big boy’ camera, and I know there is a lot to figure out. But out of the box, compared to my K-70 and the exact same settings, the photos are dark, noisier, and just disappointing.

I know there’s and ebook, and if I decide to keep the body, I’ll get it. But as I sit now, I’m leaning towards an RMA.

Any advice on how to set this up?

Last edited by Velocidodo; 09-14-2022 at 02:26 PM.
09-14-2022, 02:28 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Is this a brand new camera, or new to you?
Check if the firmware is current, and reset the camera.
Firmware: Software Downloads : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING
What lens are you using? Is the lens auto-aperture, or manual? It could be failing to open the aperture if set wrong.
09-14-2022, 02:35 PM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Velocidodo Quote

Post two photos with Exif. One from k-70. One from k-3iii. Explain what the settings were that you attempted to set.
09-14-2022, 02:55 PM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Post two photos with Exif. One from k-70. One from k-3iii. Explain what the settings were that you attempted to set.
Exactly this ^^^
The K-3iii is a comprehensively customisable camera capable of (almost) everything the K-70 can do and then a whole bunch more, meaning it can be very easy to accidently use a configuration which is non-optimal.
Ideally, post two pictures taken at the same time using the same lens and any variation will likely be obvious in the EXIF.
Unfortunately, without that information to work from it'll all be guesswork!

09-14-2022, 03:03 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So I’ve had the K3-mk iii for about a week. So far, I’m significantly underwhelmed with the performance, and I’m sure it’s something I’m not doing.

It’s my first ‘big boy’ camera, and I know there is a lot to figure out. But out of the box, compared to my K-70 and the exact same settings, the photos are dark, noisier, and just disappointing.

I know there’s and ebook, and if I decide to keep the body, I’ll get it. But as I sit now, I’m leaning towards an RMA.

I know quite a few members struggled when going from the K5ii to the K-3, but the K-3 was, of course, capable of much more.
Your current problems may be a variation of the same issue.

As several others have pointed out, members will be in a much better position to help you once they know your settings, and see sample photos with the EXIF data intact.

Good luck!
09-14-2022, 03:10 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ProfessorBuzz Quote
What lens are you using? Is the lens auto-aperture, or manual? It could be failing to open the aperture if set wrong.
This is a good question. I had a situation where the mirrorless camera that I use for work wasn't telling the lens to open up. In fact, the lens was stopping all the way down. To compensate, the camera cranked the ISO up to 51000...or some such crazy number...causing all my video to come out dark and very grainy. You might be having something similar happening.
09-14-2022, 05:55 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It’s really easy to set a camera up to take less than stellar pics. Resetting the camera completely is the easy way out of that situation, I had to reset my KP a few times when I was transitioning from my LX/KX (film to digital)
Also make sure that you’ve got the latest firmware (this is good advice for way more than cameras)
Also take a stab at the manual, I’ve done mine cover to cover a few times (with the camera to test stuff with), and find a few new somethings each time

09-14-2022, 06:27 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Is it possible the ISO scale is different with the different sensors? I.e. ISO 100 on of sensor being the same as ISO 200 on a different sensor, meaning the settings aren't really the same. Kinda spit balling here since I don't own either camera, but it's a factor I've heard about when comparing ISO's between brands and wondered if it's much of a factor within a single brand.
09-14-2022, 06:43 PM - 1 Like   #9

Original Poster
Thanks. I’ll set up a tripod and take some pics tomorrow morning.
09-14-2022, 07:22 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mooncatt Quote
Is it possible the ISO scale is different with the different sensors? I.e. ISO 100 on of sensor being the same as ISO 200 on a different sensor, meaning the settings aren't really the same. Kinda spit balling here since I don't own either camera, but it's a factor I've heard about when comparing ISO's between brands and wondered if it's much of a factor within a single brand.
Pentax has always in the past had very accurate ISO. Some brands are less accurate. I've never seen much variation across brands on their ISO - it's sort of a given that whatever standard that they selected they stick with - at least in the few things that I have seen on the topic. Even then 100 vs. 200 (which would be a huge "error" ) doesn't give that kind of difference that this OP is seeing.

---------- Post added 09-14-22 at 10:23 PM ----------

Thanks. I’ll set up a tripod and take some pics tomorrow morning.
I hope we can help you figure this out. The unit should be easy to use as effectively as the K-70 other than perhaps scene modes. It should be pretty similar in output most of the time with only a few edge cases making for better images on the K3iii other than focusing accuracy and things that the new camera does better (frames per second, buffer, etc.)
09-15-2022, 04:30 AM   #11

Original Poster
Here's a link to a folder on my google drive.

The photos from this morning were shot on both the Pentax 55-300 ED PLM WR RE (set at 1/40, 6.3 400 ISO 300mm zoom), and the Sigma 18-35 1.8 Art lens. (Set at 1/100, 2.0, 400 ISO at 35mm zoom) There are other photos in the "extra photos" folders, not sure if they're needed, but if they help, it helps.

More information as requested -

The camera is brand new, from B&H. It arrived a week ago.
The firmware has not been updated yet. For that matter, I don't think the firmware on my K-70 has ever been updated. (Only owner, ~3 years old)

This is my first time shooting in Live View on the K3. I noticed when changing the aperture on the K3 with the Sigma lens, I could hear the aperture ring clicking. It doesn't do this out of Live View, and it doesn't do it when the lens is mounted to the K-70 in either view mode.

And yes, I realize now the date on the K3 is incorrect. I'll fix that now.

GOOGLE DRIVE LINK
09-15-2022, 05:20 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

A quick glance using my phone doesn’t help me understand the issue. I don’t see big differences in the output of the two cameras which is what I would expect. Both use the accelerator, both are apsc, one is slightly higher resolution at 26mp vs 24mp. I would expect better autofocus, tracking, frame rates, and a fantastic viewfinder experience from the k3iii over the k70. But in photos like these they should be very similar which is what I think I’m seeing. The phone isn’t the best tool for judging this however. I didn’t open the raw files either.
09-15-2022, 06:01 AM - 1 Like   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The main improvements in the K-3iii are operational. That is - how it handles , the multitude of things you can customize etc. Its speed of operation is also at a new level from older cameras. It does take some work and study to take advantage of all this. The latest firmware also is essential to best operation.
09-15-2022, 06:12 AM   #14
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
A quick glance using my phone doesn’t help me understand the issue. I don’t see big differences in the output of the two cameras which is what I would expect. Both use the accelerator, both are apsc, one is slightly higher resolution at 26mp vs 24mp. I would expect better autofocus, tracking, frame rates, and a fantastic viewfinder experience from the k3iii over the k70. But in photos like these they should be very similar which is what I think I’m seeing. The phone isn’t the best tool for judging this however. I didn’t open the raw files either.
I agree with you, I looked on the laptop and opened the RAW files and the only difference I see is that the colours with the K-3 III are less dull. I do not see any of the "faults" the OP describes, but these kind of pictures will never let the camera (any!) shine.
09-15-2022, 06:33 AM   #15

At first glance i see the k3 iii -s much wider dynamic/color range and much more detailed and smoother color rendering. It's night and day. However if you would like to play a little bit with color, at first i advice to change the white balance to multi-auto and the color profile to Landscape.

Last edited by Levus; 09-15-2022 at 07:08 AM.