Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-15-2007, 08:41 AM   #1

Less moire on K10D?

I have a K110d that I got three months ago. I also have a blue merle Australian cattle dog (mix) who is one of my favorite subjects. The moire color noise with this camera is simply getting unbearable. Last night I was testing my new 50mm 1.4 against my 40mm 2.8 LTD and with both lenses the camera was destroying my dogs fur. These lenses are high quality (I think the 40mm was as good if not better most of the time, but that's another post), so I know it's the sensor. It appears on both RAW and JPEG, and it appears to varying degrees in three different software packages.

It doesn't appear much on my black dog's fur, but the varying gray/black strands on the Aussie turn into a rainbow in places (my dog and his technicolor dream coat). The only way I've found to control it is to underexpose to keep the dark/light contrast down on the fur... but being that precise isn't always an option when you're chasing a dog.

Before the Pentax I used a Canon 300D and it shows little or no sign of this in RAW or JPEG. If the K10D isn't any better, I may be forced to return to Canon/CMOS even though I like Pentax bodies/lenses much better... and, NO, I'M NOT GOING TO GET A NEW DOG!!... so don't even joke about it

I've also noticed that Lightroom cleans up the moire noise better than Iridient RAW Developer (my primary app), even though I prefer Raw Developer on most other aspects.

I'll try to post some sample pics later. I just wanted to know if anyone else has had a problem with this on the K10D (or the K110d)... especially if you have a blue merle around your house. If the K10D is cleaner, I'll be 'forced' to buy one.

Also, I sent my first K110 body back and reordered another because of this 'problem' (I assumed the sensor was bad), but the second camera was the same. I thought I could live with it, but I'm not so sure now.

03-15-2007, 08:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I've shot hundreds of pictures of my puppy with the K10D and here is what I have to show you in terms of color fringes.

and...

It's not bad at all and the only time I've seen and moire is in strangely lit situations and it's only noticable at 100% or greater and really not anything distracting fully blown up.
03-15-2007, 09:13 AM   #3

Original Poster
codiak,

Thanks for the reply. I too have spent some time in the snow with my dogs. Glad to see I'm not the only one. The sun and snow make it hard to get well balanced shots like you have shown, and I bet your pup doesn't sit still long. Now, could you give him a black & gray hair weave and repeat those shots.
03-15-2007, 09:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wildboar Quote
codiak,

Thanks for the reply. I too have spent some time in the snow with my dogs. Glad to see I'm not the only one. The sun and snow make it hard to get well balanced shots like you have shown, and I bet your pup doesn't sit still long. Now, could you give him a black & gray hair weave and repeat those shots.
The hair thing, maybe lol, but actually the balance is very good on the K10D, these are all taken in P(rogram) mode and they turned out just great with no fudgin' around. Now the only reason I used P mode was these were actually caught on the first day I purchased the camera on Febraury 9th so I wasn't used to the camera just yet.

Oh do I have some shots to show you about this pup not sitting still... I've got a couple taken at F4 and 1/800th and his toes and face will still be blurred with his crazy quick movements. Give me a bit and I'll upload you some recent ones from 2 days ago and let you see this guy in full action.

03-15-2007, 10:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Here you go some shots taken two or three days ago that prove my pup is just nuts... and fast lol.

And one for fun with another furry fellow.

03-15-2007, 02:17 PM   #6

interesting post on moire here
Luminous Landscape Forum -> Moire problems from 5D

so according to this you would need to unsharp a litte to lose the moire, or dependable on the type of fur your dog has move up to a more MP camera, either K10D, or even more MP if the texture is "really" fine, and the nice lenses probably add to the moire as infact this is the unfortunate digital "dark side" of sharpness.

I have not seen moire yet with my K100D but I guess the subjects that I take pictures off do not have such fine patterned detail for it to show up.
03-15-2007, 02:25 PM   #7

Original Poster
zubati, thanks for posting that. As for the lens quality issue, maybe that explains why the 40mm and 50mm seem to show more than my 50-200. I thought maybe it was my imagination, but maybe I have no imagination.