Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-21-2008, 06:00 PM   #1

would u pay an extra $7,250 for this? d3x vs k20d

bigger here : http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3078/3125987293_9eda758949_o.jpg

12-21-2008, 06:10 PM   #2

You could do the same with any camera vs the d3x at such low res and ISO 200.. or say a 31mm ltd and a kit lens... The d3x's best competition is from Nikon's other FF cameras.
12-21-2008, 06:26 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unless I'm missing something the lens used is not listed. I see no data on lens or lens settings. This could account for everything in the "test". Without that, worthless IMO. I know at ISO 200 I can get much better images than that out of any K series camera.
12-21-2008, 06:27 PM   #4
Forum Member

Interesting. I would say no. Yes, there is more details with D3x but who cares, really? Only thing that matters is the meaning of picture. I have realized that equipment does not make the picture, it's the photographer who is in the right place at the very right moment. It really doesn't matter what kind of camera you are using, right? I think every one can sign this. So what's the point to compare things to each other...

12-21-2008, 07:20 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've never looked at this site before; right now, I rather wish I hadn't. I compared a still life image at ISO 1600 from a K20D (an example of which is wrapped under the tree right now) with the same image from a K200D (which presumably has the same sensor as my K10D). I must say, the K200D image looks cleaner and sharper, particularly when you look at them "full size". Not what I was expecting. I must be missing something - at least, I hope I am.

Jer
12-21-2008, 07:42 PM   #6
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Sailor, This "test site" in no way computes with my hands on results from the K110, K10, K20, all of which I have. I can put the same lens on each camera and take the same shot. I'll see very similar images on a computer screen all of which are significantly sharper than these shots. When enlarged the differences become more noticable. The K20D is the better camera. With no lens data to supprt the shots. Who knows what they are doing. It could be a kit lens vs a prime. One stopped down and another wide open.

Imagine if the k20 is shot with a kit lens at 18mm wide open vs a 50mm f1.2 IS/VR prime stopped down to f5.6. The difference wouldn't be as much the camera vs the lens and it's use. Without knowing what they are doing, this is bogus.
12-21-2008, 08:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteQuote:
Unless I'm missing something the lens used is not listed. I see no data on lens or lens settings. This could account for everything in the "test". Without that, worthless IMO. I know at ISO 200 I can get much better images than that out of any K series camera.
I am with Peter, %100. I receive e-mail from the Imaging Resource site. When you open the e-mail, they declare their sponsors. Their 2 camera sponsors are Nikon & Sony--look it up. Also, they make the following assertion about this "Comparometer":

"This tool lets you compare reference images from digital cameras side-by-side. These images were taken under carefully-controlled conditions, to provide valid comparisons of camera capabilities in actual shooting situations."

Funny thing is, nowhere do they tell you what defines these "carefully controlled" circumstances. I sometimes use the site to compare Digicams, because I know for sure which lens is being compared to which lens under these circumstances. But, for DSLRs, given the endless permutations of lens options, it is virtually impossible to post pics which represent a fair comparison.

If Image Resource truly wanted to compare DSLRs, it would, at the very least, acknowledge these limitations and write something to show what they do, precisely, to present a fair representation of the real world
12-21-2008, 08:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

the k20 side looks like ass compared to the d3x side. Looks like either OOF or there's some shake going on. That picture shows d3x>>>k20...

12-21-2008, 09:39 PM   #9

I'd agree with Peter, even with my limited knowledge.
Testing ANYTHING and reporting it, without telling how and with what the test was done, is worthless, useless information.

Sailor, you'll love the cam. Even though I'm having an issue with a 'spot' on the screen, I'm dead thrilled with this thing. I'm having fun like CRAZY with this thing.

Now, the wife, kids, and dogs are hating my guts, but I'm snapping away.
I've shot nearly 1000 pix in the past 48 hours just goofing around!

IMHO, I think you'll be quite satisfied.

T
12-21-2008, 09:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Only if the D3x were identical to K20D except the sensor, the arguement is narrow minded and pointless.

Last edited by wlachan; 12-21-2008 at 10:03 PM.
12-21-2008, 10:22 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Sailor, This "test site" in no way computes with my hands on results from the K110, K10, K20, all of which I have. I can put the same lens on each camera and take the same shot. I'll see very similar images on a computer screen all of which are significantly sharper than these shots. When enlarged the differences become more noticable. The K20D is the better camera. With no lens data to supprt the shots. Who knows what they are doing. It could be a kit lens vs a prime. One stopped down and another wide open.

Imagine if the k20 is shot with a kit lens at 18mm wide open vs a 50mm f1.2 IS/VR prime stopped down to f5.6. The difference wouldn't be as much the camera vs the lens and it's use. Without knowing what they are doing, this is bogus.
Thanks, Peter - reassuring comments. Frankly, I assumed everything (other than the K200 and K20 bodies) was identical in these trials - time, place, lens. But now that you mention it, I don't remember seeing that explicitly stated. Also, of course, is the danger of comparing performance between single examples of each camera - either of which could be an outlier.

Anyway, I'll be able to examine the difference myself in a few days, and I'm sure I'll reach the same conclusions that you have.

Jer
12-22-2008, 03:54 AM   #12
Veteran Member

No

QuoteOriginally posted by vitalsax Quote
I would get a D700 instead.
12-22-2008, 05:29 AM   #13
Forum Member

Looking at those shots at ISO 1600, I conclude that D700 is better than D3X, and K20D is worse than D40 and E-3.
12-22-2008, 05:31 AM   #14
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Looking at these shots at any ISO I conclude this test site is a waste of time and banwidth.
12-22-2008, 06:01 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vitalsax Quote
if i made 4 digit sums from photography sessions/shoots, then yes, i would pay.

if all i did was take pictures of my dog, then no, i would most definetly not pay, unless i had money pouring out my ears in buckets full and i was running out of buckets.