Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 26 Likes Search this Thread
10-04-2022, 12:20 AM   #1

Is the video quality on Pentax really that bad on 1080p 30fps?

I like capturing moments using a camera and "freezing" those moments in time-nature, insects, flowers, plants, sky, some "waterfall" type of scene.

But I am also in need of a video camera for my YouTube channel since I sold my video camera Samsung Note 10+. Currently, I am using my flip phone's video camera . Not the fancy flip phone but the CAT S22 flip phone.

I discovered the Pentax K-70 but with 1080p 30fps video resolution. I won't be doing any "action camera" stuffs; just some interview type of video. Is the video recording really that bad as some forums and reviews make it to be?

I also saw the Pentax K-1 Mark II (at Adorama, it is a kit with HD PENTAX-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR Lens). It has a better 1080p 60fps.

Would it seem to be an "overkill" to go with the K-1 with me being a newbie in photography?

Or just get the K-70 kit that includes the 18-135mm WR lens plus buy separately the smc PENTAX-D FA MACRO 100mmF2.8 WR?

10-04-2022, 01:34 AM - 1 Like   #2
Unregistered User

If the best image quality is what you are after get the K1 mark ll. Snappiness (who posts on this forum) uses/used a K1 to make his YT videos and this camera is capable of taking stunning images.
10-04-2022, 01:55 AM - 2 Likes   #3

The Pentax K-3 mk III has the best video performance of any of the Pentax DSLRs and the image quality for stills is hard to beat.

The question is do you "need" or "want" full-frame?
10-04-2022, 02:55 AM - 4 Likes   #4
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote

The question is do you "need" or "want" full-frame?
I wanted FF so convinced myself I needed it

10-04-2022, 04:05 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-3III full HD 1080 with 60 fps is definetly good enough. Just get your exposure right and you can get nice video with not so noticeable jello for panning movements. Can be used hand held, monopod or tripod or so and you can get very nice results

For video K-1 series are not so good. FF is not always better.
10-04-2022, 04:29 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hyperspaceexplorer Quote
I like capturing moments using a camera and "freezing" those moments in time-nature, insects, flowers, plants, sky, some "waterfall" type of scene.

But I am also in need of a video camera for my YouTube channel since I sold my video camera Samsung Note 10+. Currently, I am using my flip phone's video camera . Not the fancy flip phone but the CAT S22 flip phone.

I discovered the Pentax K-70 but with 1080p 30fps video resolution. I won't be doing any "action camera" stuffs; just some interview type of video. Is the video recording really that bad as some forums and reviews make it to be?

I also saw the Pentax K-1 Mark II (at Adorama, it is a kit with HD PENTAX-D FA 28-105mm F3.5-5.6 ED DC WR Lens). It has a better 1080p 60fps.

Would it seem to be an "overkill" to go with the K-1 with me being a newbie in photography?

Or just get the K-70 kit that includes the 18-135mm WR lens plus buy separately the smc PENTAX-D FA MACRO 100mmF2.8 WR?
To be blunt (but not unfriendly meant) you should buy a video camera. Considering what you want it for, you need an unexpensive video camera and not an expensive top notch photocamera that is capable of video. There are better options for that, just like the Panasonic or Nikon mirrorless vlog-camera's that are optimized for video (usually they are available in complete sets with a mike) and which are more in common with your wishes. Especially as you mentioned you are a newbie I advise you not to buy an experiencedbie photo camera.

PS.: Samsung Note 10+ is considered a smartphone, not a video camera
10-04-2022, 04:48 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Pentaxian

I went through the same decision not long ago. I have a K1 and K3. They both do video well, but lack some refinements. I purchased a Sony FDR-AX700. The difference for video is eye opening "pun intended". I love Pentax for stills. For video the Sony is my choice. . If you want to do video, get a video camera.

Last edited by Roadboat24; 10-05-2022 at 02:34 PM.
10-04-2022, 05:04 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Coming from Olympus with their adjustable screens and 4 axis ibis, I've missed them on my Pentax. I didn't need or want full frame, but I did want to go back to a camera with those features I used to enjoy but still on a flagship model. Finally after a couple years vacillating, I broke down and finally got the K1 mkll. For me the K1 mkll has everything I love about shooting with wider field of view yet allows me to shoot in crop view if I need it, albeit at a lower mp then newer cameras. That's not a big loss imo as I loved my K5lls with it's 16 mp and when I want large size prints I convert those images to super resolution in post. I'm also happy with the way my video works on it, though I'm not try shoot professional video. If I want that I'll invest in a professional type video camera. So to me it's like having the best of all 3.

Now as an old photographer here is my advise, though others may not agree.

IF you really love photography one can waste more money in the long run buying beginner model cameras as they usually do not have the quality of build that flagship models do so they are more prone to problems arising facilitating the need for more repairs or replacement. So unless one is prone to chasing features and buying a new camera every time they come out then a flagship model purchase will usually last for years without problems. Beside once one has a camera body they love then lens purchases are the way to go and what can really break the ole pocketbook.

If a newbie just starting photography, then yes a beginner model can allow one to learn, shoot great photos and see if they catch the bug that has held many of us captive for a lifetime but once you have that bug start looking and investing in better equipment.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 10-04-2022 at 05:23 AM.
10-04-2022, 05:06 AM - 4 Likes   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hello,

I have had a lot of experience shooting video on Pentax bodies in the exact use case you are questioning - sit down interview style. I did it as a way to save money. Since I already had a Pentax body, I did not want to buy another camera just for video. In this way the cameras do as they advertise. I am not actually very good at video so don't trust me that way but I can show you some practical results as someone who shot video on Pentax for over a year consistently.

The shots of myself in this video are recorded on the K-1 with an external mic feeding into the camera:

Different mic setup but still K-1

Pentax K-3 III recording 4k with external mic myself on camera:

Pentax K-3 III recording 4k for broll of camera shots

So can the Pentax cameras record usable video? I think so, especially for sit down shots and product shots and you can control the lighting as someone else said. I've struggled with lighting a lot but it makes a world of a difference.

That said, I would not buy a Pentax camera knowing I was going to shoot a lot of video. But if you want only one camera, and you want a Pentax for stills (I love Pentax so I get that ), then you can make it work.

I have finally upgraded to a dedicated video camera setup, a $300 used Panasonic g85, and it's much better for a few reasons:
- Video quality is better at same resolutions
- easier to get colors looking right, no shadow mush, can color grade in post easier
- More video features, more frame rates, on screen histogram etc
- Video stabilization is much more natural looking
- Video autofocus is usable! (not so with the Pentax's)

Here's a video on the Panasonic g85 setup:

Even a modern iPhone/Samsung will produce crisper video from my experience and should be considered if you already own one, but for sit down shots I still preferred the Pentax's large sensor and fast lenses I could put on it for the natural bokeh look. That depth of field in the end made the image look more professional than cleaner video without a blurred background. The smartphone's have a way to go in that regard.

Sorry that was long. Hopefully it was helpful. I think you already got some very good pointers from others here but wanted to chime in anyway.

Thanks,
-james
10-04-2022, 05:30 AM - 3 Likes   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Is the video recording really that bad as some forums and reviews make it to be?
No, it's fine. Tracking is below the rest of the market, but that doesn't apply to you. If you want to grade videos, do a lot of heavy editing, then there are better choices, but for what you describe you'll be fine.
10-04-2022, 05:34 AM - 1 Like   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A used iPhone or Panasonic m43 might be smarter for multiple reasons. I own a Sony A7R III and I don’t use it for video typically; I’m far more likely to use the iPhone when I need video as it’s recording and editing are simple and it’s less bulky to setup and use. A dedicated video setup (even if photos camera based) is worth investing in so you don’t have to setup and tear down the mic, lighting, tripod etc.
10-04-2022, 06:28 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you are just looking to capture personal memories, an all in one use of a DSLR with video can be fine. If you are looking to make a name for yourself as a content creator and making money, then my general principle is to buy the best tool for the job within your budget. So for me, I'd be getting a dedicated video camera for videos.
10-04-2022, 06:42 AM - 2 Likes   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

K-70 video quality can be seen here:

and here:

IMO, for most common uses, the quality out has far more to do with practice and talent than the inherent limitations of 1080p 30fps. Of course having even better video specs is always a nice thing.

EDIT: There are very noticeable K1 advantages for stills in addition to the better spec'd video. You'd probably be smart to go with the full-frame Pentax if the price difference and larger body size isn't an issue. If it is the K-70 should be just fine for your casual video use.

Last edited by gatorguy; 10-04-2022 at 10:11 AM.
10-04-2022, 11:35 AM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

My main issue with the predecessor of the K70, the K50, is the "rolling shutter" effect when shooting video. But if you can afford it, the K-1 II is much better for video for several reasons:
a) Larger sensor and thus better low light and higher dynamic range shooting outdoors.
b) 60 fps for better definition in video of water droplets, flapping wings, movement, etc.
c) Better bokeh for that cinematic look which makes me think you may want to consider a couple of primes and a macro lens.
d) If and when you need to record audio, the K1 II has both an external mic port for attaching a better microphone AND a headphone jack. Not having a headphone jack for recording audio is like not having a viewfinder for recording images.

IF you're shooting mostly video and less of still images, then I agree with others that you may want to consider a mirrorless camera.
IF you're shooting mostly still images and less of videos, then I think a DSLR like the Pentax K1 II is an excellent choice.
10-04-2022, 06:38 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

If you are putting the camera on a tripod with prefocus and just rolling it is great. Even the Ko1, from 2012, was great. Check out the dpreview mockumentary.

The k70 will do video but will be limited in ease and situations.