Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2022, 02:51 AM   #76
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The lightest Pentax cameras that I have used are the K-S1 (very compact, but prone to dark frame aperture block issues), K-m and, K-x. The K-70 weighs 688 grams, the K-S1 was 558 grams, the K-x series cameras were around 588 grams (the K-r was 598).

10-29-2022, 04:58 AM   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
The lightest Pentax cameras that I have used are the K-S1 (very compact, but prone to dark frame aperture block issues), K-m and, K-x. The K-70 weighs 688 grams, the K-S1 was 558 grams, the K-x series cameras were around 588 grams (the K-r was 598).
I agree re the K-S1, which I have had from new. Mine did suffer from the aperture solenoid failure, but there is an excellent thread on this forum regarding the repair of this, and having done this using a genuine ( note the word!) Pentax upgraded solenoid, it is not a difficult repair. But not every camera that can suffer from the soleoid failure actaully does do so, so don't be put off by this possible issue .I have also repaired a K-30 I was given with the same problem, and the same basic repair technique can be applied to any camera so afflicted.

Back to the K-S1, it is a delightful camera, and the results very good. If I had not needed a replacement very quickly after the aperture failure I would not have ended up with my KP, also a compact camera capable of truly excellent results, but nowhere near as light as the K-S1. Plus if your lenses have an aperture control ring, you can still continue using the camera pending a repair.
10-29-2022, 07:36 AM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by martin42mm Quote
And of course it is relatively compact ( although NOT plasticky-light!), so fulfills the OPs original request. QED....?
Probably not. The OP said the KP was clunky not to mention the KP is larger and heavier than the K70 even.
10-29-2022, 12:02 PM   #79
Pentaxian

It was the atttributes of the K-S1 I was advocating-the KP was my replacement for it pending repair of my K-S1. I did read the OP's original post, and although I don't agree the KP is 'clunky', everyone has their own opinions and choices. The K-S1 is a lovely little camera.

10-29-2022, 12:34 PM - 2 Likes   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by R.Miller Quote
the KP is larger and heavier than the K70 even.
Well technically it is, but it isn't. The KP's height is measured to be more than in reality, due to the flash housing coming to a point at the top. The weight is so close it really is about the same. This is due to the KP's superior build quality, yet in a more svelte body. I also have the K-S2, which is definitely smaller and lighter than either, but in some ways the KP can still fit where the K-S2 cannot. I can fit the KP with its smallest supplied grip and a very compact lens into a belt-pouch case, which will not accommodate the K-S2's bulkier grip. My K-5 IIs and my KP set side-by-side are indeed about the same dimensions, except for the bulkier grip of the K-5. The K-5 definitely does weigh more. Anyone who has actually handled these cameras knows the KP as being easily the more compact in feel and in use.

The KP's designers did a great job in providing an advanced compact DSLR capable of competing with high-end APS-C mirrorless offerings, in a design and performance also attractive as an APS-C alternative for K-1 and K-1 II owners.

Last edited by mikesbike; 10-29-2022 at 04:03 PM.
10-29-2022, 01:01 PM   #81
Veteran Member

I'll take your word for it. Never had a KP, but people mostly rave about it. I was going off of Pentax specs. KP: 131mm X101MM X 76MM 703g K70: 124mm X 93mm X 74mm 688g. But I can see depending on how the body is designed overall it may "feel" like a smaller camera than it really is by the overall numbers.
10-29-2022, 02:52 PM   #82
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by R.Miller Quote
... the KP is larger and heavier than the K70 even.

Only on paper
Actually in the hand, with the small grip fitted, the KP is a very "retro" experience and does take a bit of re-familiarisation after using Pentax DSLRs with a big right-hand "battery bulge" for so many years.

10-30-2022, 02:07 AM - 1 Like   #83
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
Only on paper
Actually in the hand, with the small grip fitted, the KP is a very "retro" experience and does take a bit of re-familiarisation after using Pentax DSLRs with a big right-hand "battery bulge" for so many years.
As soon as I got my KP, it immediately reminded me of having a metal-bodied Spotmatic F back in my hands again. Looking at the published dimensions I can see why.

KP-132 x 101 x 76 mm, weight with battery- 703g
Spotmatic F- 143 x 93 x 91 mm, weight -642g

Given I loved all my Spotmatics, I can understand why I also love the KP. I never found any Spotmatic heavy, or bulky, and the KP is just the same -with that reassuring solidity , and sufficient weight to enable hand-holding at slow-speeds. I never thought of the Spot as 'clunky', and I certainly don't with the KP either.

But as I've said before, people's perceptions and reactions to handling cameras is always different. I happen to use my left eye to focus with, and therefore never had any issue with light entering the other eye since it is blocked by the camera body. However some people who use their left eye have said it impedes winding on. Not something I ever worried about, and not applicable to digital cameras anyway. Such a simple difference between how the v/f is used can skew user's experiences when actually using a camera, and why it is always an individual's perceptions which count in the end, not someone else's opinion., no matter how well intended.
11-01-2022, 11:34 AM   #84
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hello,

and sorry for threadnapping.
But I've got a similar "problem" like the thread opener - I'm looking for a compact Pentax DSLR on a budget to use it for "casual" photography with small, lightweight lenses such as the DA 40mm XS, HD 18-50, DA 35/2.4, DA 50/1.8 and perhaps the kit lenses.
My checklist excludes sports and action photography as well as low light and wildlife.

At the moment I've got two favourites: the K-r and the K-S1.
The K-r is bigger and heavier, has got a relatively small Pentamirror OVF with 96% FOV. The K-S1 is more expensive, is prone to the ABF (it's repairable but at additional cost) and has a very small grip.
Here in Germany the K-S1 prices are around 175€ at the moment (plus roughly 50€ for the solenoid) and the K-r is available for around 100€.
The K-r is more forgiving to some optical flaws of the lenses due to the bigger pixels and can be powered with AA batteries.

With the K10D I get used to the "less than 100%" FOV OVF, but the 100% in my K-5II are more convenient.
Both the K-r and the K-S1 are significantly smaller and lighter than the K-5II and the K10D, so I have to weigh the much higher price and the not-so-good ergonomics of the K-S1 versus the smaller and darker OVF of the K-r.

So it would be nice if you could give me a push into the right direction, which camera to choose.

Thank you very much!

E.
11-01-2022, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #85
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bofh Quote
Hello,

and sorry for threadnapping.

At the moment I've got two favourites: the K-r and the K-S1.

The K-r is more forgiving to some optical flaws of the lenses due to the bigger pixels and can be powered with AA batteries.

So it would be nice if you could give me a push into the right direction, which camera to choose.

Thank you very much!

E.
Well, I'm biased -- I own a K-r and have never laid eyes on a K-S1, but the K-r is very light and easy to use. The AA battery option is handy -- if the regular battery dies, AA cells are available nearly anywhere. I've never noticed any issue with the OVF (I loathe EVF and would never have a camera that uses one). My vote would be for the K-r, but only you can decide which best meets your needs.
11-01-2022, 12:56 PM - 2 Likes   #86
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
Well, I'm biased -- I own a K-r and have never laid eyes on a K-S1, but the K-r is very light and easy to use. The AA battery option is handy -- if the regular battery dies, AA cells are available nearly anywhere. I've never noticed any issue with the OVF (I loathe EVF and would never have a camera that uses one). My vote would be for the K-r, but only you can decide which best meets your needs.
The K-S1 is is a very petite and light camera, capable of excellent results. I know, because I have one. Yes, they can suffer from aperture failure, but it is NOT a given. In the UK I bought a couple of Pentax upgraded solenoid for about £10 each, and did the repair myself at no additional cost -just follow the forum repair guide step-by-step.I also repaired a K-30 at the same time. The only thing you may need is a small variable temperature soldering iron-ebay for £10
.I have previously owned and used the K-r , but the images are not as good as from the K-S1, which has a superior sensor to the K-r.
11-01-2022, 01:03 PM   #87
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-S1 is is a very petite and light camera, capable of excellent results. I know, because I have one. Yes, they can suffer from aperture failure, but it is NOT a given. In the UK I bought a couple of Pentax upgraded solenoid for about £10 each, and did the repair myself at no additional cost -just follow the forum repair guide step-by-step.I also repaired a K-30 at the same time. The only thing you may need is a small variable temperature soldering iron-ebay for £10
.I have previously owned and used the K-r , but the images are not as good as from the K-S1, which has a superior sensor to the K-r.
I take your word for it, as someone who has used both. As I noted to OP, I'm biased, I only have experience with the K-r.
11-01-2022, 01:28 PM   #88
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by OrchidJulie Quote
I take your word for it, as someone who has used both. As I noted to OP, I'm biased, I only have experience with the K-r.
Just trying to help-we can only reflect our own experiences and ( often biased!) opinions. I include myself in the latter category......
11-01-2022, 02:24 PM   #89
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just trying to help-we can only reflect our own experiences and ( often biased!) opinions. I include myself in the latter category......
Doubtless, we are all biased to one degree or another...I heartily concur! But I bow to your experience with both cameras, I have only the one (in this case).
11-02-2022, 09:50 AM   #90
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you for your input.

Today a second hand 40/2.8 XS arrived here.
That is a truly remarkable lens. This lens pushes and nudges and shoves me towards the K-S1 at the moment.
And I'm afraid I'm already over the tipping point...

E.