Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2022, 02:00 PM   #106
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Meanwhile on ebay Germany: Accidentally I won an auction for a K-S1 (shutter count slightly over 8000) with a DA-L 18-55 at 136€...

E.

11-06-2022, 02:18 PM   #107
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bofh Quote
Meanwhile on ebay Germany: Accidentally I won an auction for a K-S1 (shutter count slightly over 8000) with a DA-L 18-55 at 136€...

E.
Nice one-enjoy it.��
11-06-2022, 03:30 PM   #108
Pentaxian

I've gotten some good use and great images from a sick-solenoid K-s2 and good ol' lenses with aperture rings.

I have a white solenoid too, but getting the surgery on my 'busy' schedule has been challenging..
11-06-2022, 03:46 PM - 1 Like   #109
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
That's a happy accident. At that price you can hardly go wrong, especially if you are prepared to replace the aperture solenoid yourself if the problem arises. It's a very sweet sensor.

And hey those funky LED lights in the grip!

Did you get a yellow or orange one?

11-07-2022, 05:45 AM - 1 Like   #110
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Did you get a yellow or orange one?
The colour doesn't matter for me - as long as it is black.

E.
11-07-2022, 01:49 PM - 1 Like   #111
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The colour doesn't matter for me - as long as it is black.
The Henry Ford approach.

My K-S2 is a white one. Actually I quite like it, after a succession of black cameras. It doesn't demand to be taken so seriously. I might baulk at the orange K-S1 though. Not too serious is one thing; silly is another.
11-07-2022, 02:23 PM   #112
Pentaxian

The Henry Ford approach.

My K-S2 is a white one. Actually I quite like it, after a succession of black cameras. It doesn't demand to be taken so seriously. I might baulk at the orange K-S1 though. Not too serious is one thing; silly is another.
First thing I did with my (black) K-S1 was turn the bling lights on the front off! Yes, useful when you are using the self-timer, but I prefer to have an inconspicuous camera when I'm shooting.

11-07-2022, 06:21 PM - 1 Like   #113
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by martin42mm Quote
First thing I did with my (black) K-S1 was turn the bling lights on the front off!
I guess this means you aren't the 19 yo Japanese woman that it was designed for.
11-08-2022, 01:45 AM - 2 Likes   #114
Pentaxian

I guess this means you aren't the 19 yo Japanese woman that it was designed for.
Not the last time I looked, but with age, who knows what the future brings.....
11-09-2022, 05:48 AM - 1 Like   #115
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The camera arrived here.
At the first glance it's in overall very good condition, except the solenoid: ABF
The seller didn't mention it at all.
Daisy without aggressions.

E.
11-09-2022, 06:03 AM - 1 Like   #116
Pentaxian

The camera arrived here.
At the first glance it's in overall very good condition, except the solenoid: ABF
The seller didn't mention it at all.
Daisy without aggressions.

E.
Negotiate a reduction for the solenoid issue, buy an upgraded Pentax-sourced solenoid ( about £10 in the UK)-DON'T be tempted to go for an el-cheapo replacement. The original 'white' solenoid is fine if you can obtain one, but some sellers want daft prices for them. Then follow the excellent guide to the repair proceedure on this forum.
Any questions before attempting this, just ask.
11-09-2022, 09:25 AM   #117
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Negotiate a reduction for the solenoid issue
I'll try to.

buy an upgraded Pentax-sourced solenoid ( about £10 in the UK)
Do you have a source for that, please?
Here in Germany there are some white solenoids for around 50€, green from China with the large magnet (very likely the faulty) and some blue solenoids from Poland. As far as I read, the latter are even worse than the green solenoids.
Plan B is to buy the expensive white solenoid.

E.
11-09-2022, 10:41 AM - 3 Likes   #118
Pentaxian

I'll try to.

Do you have a source for that, please?
Here in Germany there are some white solenoids for around 50€, green from China with the large magnet (very likely the faulty) and some blue solenoids from Poland. As far as I read, the latter are even worse than the green solenoids.
Plan B is to buy the expensive white solenoid.

E.
Do not buy ANY online solenoids, especially the green Chinese variety, or the blue ones-Photogem has done an excellent thread on here regarding the differences between the solenoids, and what to avoid. Even the white ones sold online tend to be culled from old DVD players, or the wrong models of camera. There are only certain white solenoids that can be used, and again , Photogem covers this.in thread A LITTLE BIT OF HISTORY: Development of the solenoid in Pentax cameras - PentaxForums.com. The K-S1 repair thread is ttps://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/184-pentax-k-s1-k-s2/388567-manual-solenoid-replacement-pentax-k-s1.html.
Although the instructions are quite comprehensive, it will probably take you longer to read them than do the repair! If you can handle a small soldering iron , and have the correct tipped screwdriver, the repair can be done in under an hour.

I purchased my solenoids from John Pye Technical
39-40 Marchington Industrial Estate
Stubby Lane
Uttoxeter
ST14 8LP
tel.01283384409
the Ricoh part number for the solenoid is 77650G119, and as I said cost is £9 plus VAT( 2021 price)

Read more at: K-30 / K-50 Aperture Block Failue - Repair Solution available - Page 64 - PentaxForums.com

John Pye is the Pentax-approved repairer I was referred to by Pentax UK. This was last year, and from what I can gather from the comments of other forum members, John Pye do NOT export, presumably because of all the red tape that that beknighted Brexit decision has caused! However if you contact Pentax in your own country, you should find they will be willing to sell you the updated solenoid if you quote the part number.

As the threads outline, there is another alternative, and that is to obtain a suitable donor camera that has the original, and non-problematic-'white' solenoid. I have managed to buy a couple of ist DLs at low price that I used as donor cameras, removing the white solenoid from the flash compartment. These cameras have two solenoids, so it does not disable a working donor camera, and in fact the green solenoid from the K-S1 can be used in the flash compartment of the donor camera. I have so far not noticed any issues with this since the green solenoids rarely causes problems when used for raising the flash cover.

If you have any problems sourcing an upgraded solenoid from Pentax where you are, for whatever reason, please let me know. I can always buy one from John Pye ( assuming they have not started restricting the sales, of course) and post it out to you.I don't know what the solenoid price is currently, but even with international postage the total should come to under £25, and you will have a solenoid guaranteed to work and -hopefully-last. the K-S1 is worth it.
11-09-2022, 11:58 AM   #119
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you very much, that is very helpful.

The seller doesn't make a fuss at the moment, he offered a return and as I suggested a reduction he wrote that he will think about it.
Not that bad so far.

E.
11-09-2022, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #120
Pentaxian

Thank you very much, that is very helpful.

The seller doesn't make a fuss at the moment, he offered a return and as I suggested a reduction he wrote that he will think about it.
Not that bad so far.

E.
You're welcome-anything that helps to get cameras going again!
The seller has to offer a return because it is not as described/faulty. If you emphasise that you are willing to bear the cost of the repair yourself, and that he will have to sell the camera as faulty at a reduced price if it does go back might just persuade him to offer you a decent reduction. The professional cost of this repair is £100 +, as I found out from Pentax when I enquired a couple of years ago.
The camera IS usable as-is, if you have manual aperture ring lenses. Otherwise it is a no-go.